User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steps to change batteries without hurting anything....

Again, tried to search for answer first, no luck. I am ready to install my new lithiums. I want to be safe to not hurt anything so am looking for what to switch, unplug, turn off, etc..prior to making the swap. I am connected to shore power at the moment at a site.
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R
    2021 Chevy 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Long Bed DRW

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma1973 View Post
    Again, tried to search for answer first, no luck. I am ready to install my new lithiums. I want to be safe to not hurt anything so am looking for what to switch, unplug, turn off, etc..prior to making the swap. I am connected to shore power at the moment at a site.
    First off I would recommend disconnecting from shore power while you're connecting the battery (or is it batteries?). If it is a single battery it should be as simple as disconnecting the old one and connecting the new, be sure that you connect the correct leads to the right terminals (red positive, black negative). It wouldn't hurt to remove the battery disconnect key before doing this.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When disconnecting the old battery, disconnect the negative terminal first.

When reconnecting the new battery, connect the positive terminal first.

If connecting 2 or more batteries in parallel, first connect positive to positive, negative to negative, then as above.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn off shore power and unplug the trailer cord from the pedestal. If you have solar and/or an inverter, shut those down also. Turn your battery disconnect off and remove the "key". Next, disconnect the Neg lead from the old battery, then the positive lead. After that, you can install the new battery or batteries in the reverse order......Pos lead on first, then the Neg lead. NOTE.....you may see a small spark when disconnecting the old battery AND when connecting the new battery. The reason is that there are a couple of things in/on the trailer that have access to the 12VDC at all times....line to CO and gas detector and possibly the power going to the radio. It's nothing to worry about though, all of that stuff is extremely small current draw devices.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that it would hurt anything, but you may want to check if you have a Lithium Compatible Converter. The lithium's will still work with a convectional one, but will not fully charge to 100%. Others on here are way more knowledgeable than me and can give better understanding as to the benefits of a Lithium capable converter charge and a Lead acid, AGM SLA types of converters. Since your rig is a pretty new model it may be Lithium capable now.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies. Exactly the information I was looking for. I do have a lithium compatible converter and controller. I will do as you guys instructed.
    Thanks again.
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One tip on the solar. Kill the panel power first (disconnect switch if you have that on the panel power line to the controller, or cover. If you don't have a disconnect between the panels and the controller, now would be a good time to add. Then disconnect the solar controller from the battery. Change battery as indicated. Then to reconnect the solar, connect the solar controller first so that is shows connected, then power up the panels. Not following these steps can damage some of the solar controllers out there.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    One tip on the solar. Kill the panel power first (disconnect switch if you have that on the panel power line to the controller, or cover. If you don't have a disconnect between the panels and the controller, now would be a good time to add. Then disconnect the solar controller from the battery. Change battery as indicated. Then to reconnect the solar, connect the solar controller first so that is shows connected, then power up the panels. Not following these steps can damage some of the solar controllers out there.
    Good info there.....I don't have any solar, so your additional info is quite valuable to those who do.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the tips and instructions. Made the swap of batteries yesterday following all the things you all told me. So far, all is good.
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma1973 View Post
    Thank you all for the tips and instructions. Made the swap of batteries yesterday following all the things you all told me. So far, all is good.
    Good to hear....thanks for reporting back and following up.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast