Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GFCI wiring

First time out with the 2021 Momentum 320G been waiting for the snow to melt. Well Tuesday night camping in Durando Colorado the temperature was dropping so decided to turn on the heater. I had plugged in the GFI circuit an ice maker, coffee maker. Tv was on fridge was on. I reached over started to scroll thru the thermostat and something popped. It was the GFI in the bathroom will not reset no matter what and has no voltage tested with a meter. All circuit breakers are in and all fuses look good. Removed all power from trailer and reset all breakers. 110 works in all outlets but nothing on the GFI side. Spoke with Grand design and they are working the issue. Spoke with lazydays and they said that it could be the the Inverter. If the inverter was bad I don't think I would have any 110 at all or should I. Lazydays said check breakers on Inverter there isn't any I can find just on and off button. Is it possible to see a wiring diagram for the GFI circuit somewhere? I hope someone can help still under warranty but have a trip planned in two weeks to Texas. GD said they can send a GFI outlet but I don't think it is the outlet but something down stream. Any advice would be great.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can turn the GFI breaker off to verify, but the inverter has nothing to do with the GFI. Neither do fuses, they are only 12V. The GFI will not reset unless it has power. Reset the GFI breaker and check for voltage between the output of the GFI breaker and neutral. You have to move the circuit breaker to all the way off then to on. you can't just flip it back on.
    If you have nothing at the output of the breaker, it has failed. Even a new breaker can go bad.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m confused.

Do you have a circuit fed by a GFI breaker or is it a GFI outlet fed from a standard breaker?

2020 2600RB,
    2017 Silverado Crew Cab 1500, 6.2L

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GFI outlet is fed by a standard breaker then the downstream outlets are fed by the GFI.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think as well that the GFI circuit would have a breaker somewhere. The breaker panel is label as follows. CONVERTER, MICROWAVE, A/C, WATER HEATER, MAIN, MAIN, AC/ PREP, FIREPLACE, 3RD AC, OPT INVERT. list of fuses is as follows. 30 AMPL, 30 AMP AMPLIFIER, 15 AMP FUEL SYSTEM, 15 AMP MONITOR PANEL, 15 AMP BED/BATH, 15 AMP MAXX FAN, 15 AMP RADIO, 15 AMP GARAGE, 15 AMP REFER, 15 AMP FURANCE, 15 AMP BOX AWNING. That is everything that is listed in the trailer nothing that says anything about a GFI circuit. That is the circuit that is not listed.
    It is possible that the circuit breaker if there is one is bad for the GFI system but nothing labeled that way. Is it possible to find a diagram for the wiring that would show the layout. Everything works in the trailer but the GFI system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    The GFI outlet is fed by a standard breaker then the downstream outlets are fed by the GFI.
    I found a GFI in the bathroom and reset it, I flipped the breakers all the way off to make sure I did a real reset on the the breaker that had tripped. I NEED TO THANK THE FORUM! Only because of posts did I find the sub panel under the bottom step to the bedroom. There the little bugger was. Flipped it and now I am edumacated on how to look at life going forward, if I can’t figure it out I have a whole community to help me. Thank You!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First... Forget about the fuses. They have nothing to do with AC power
    There should not be any other C/B locations, so it is tied to one of the standard breakers in the panel and it will be a 15A breaker. Pull the front panel off of the electrical panel and measure the output voltage at each circuit breaker. If they are all good, pull the GFI out of the wall far enough to get to the terminal screws with your test leads. If you measure 115V there, you have a bad GFI.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did check the wires at the GFI outlet in the bathroom no power there. GD said they would send me a GFI but I don't think that is the problem. it is the power to the outlet I think. It is possible that it is the 15AMP BED/ BATH BREAKER . I do have normal 110 in the bedroom.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidd View Post
    I did check the wires at the GFI outlet in the bathroom no power there. GD said they would send me a GFI but I don't think that is the problem. it is the power to the outlet I think. It is possible that it is the 15AMP BED/ BATH BREAKER . I do have normal 110 in the bedroom.
    If there is NO power to the supply of the GFI outlet and there IS power to the other 120V outlets, it appears to be a WIRING issue on the supply side to the GFI outlet. It’s pretty much physical circuit tracing and trial and error from here.

Any qualified electrician should be able to locate and fix it, although physical access to the wiring can be a challenge. But it no more a challenge than chasing wiring in the crawl space under a typical sticks, bricks, and mortar building.

2020 2600RB,
    2017 Silverado Crew Cab 1500, 6.2L

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidd View Post
    Cycle all the breakers in your power panel then try to rest the GFCI in the bathroom.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast