Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cabinet finishes

the cabinets and drawers finish is wearing or rubbing off and nothing we do will cover it over. we have tried staining it and magic marker color match it won't keep . any suggestions!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always sand all the faces off the drawers and then try staining. Other options could be sanding the drawers, doors, and cabinet frames and paint everything, or look for a faux wood vinyl wrap or vernier. One other option, order new drawer faces from GD through a dealer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    You could always sand all the faces off the drawers and then try staining. Other options could be sanding the drawers, doors, and cabinet frames and paint everything, or look for a faux wood vinyl wrap or vernier. One other option, order new drawer faces from GD through a dealer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    thanks. I'll try sanding

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having the same thing happening to my doors and drawers. This is not even happening in areas you would expect it might happen. Poor quality finish from GD.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to touch up our table and made it worse. After sanding the furniture marker spots down to bare wood, I discovered it wouldn't take stain. Pale light weight wood, but several stain types did nothing. So now I'm back to the poor match of markers.

What kind of wood won't take stain?
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same thing is happening in my 2017 Reflection. The cabinets are not stained. This is a spay on lacquer finish and I doubt there is a fix for it !! Sanding will only destroy what finish is left and will make the overall appearance worse. A complete re decorating scheme must be used like paint.....not stain.

The cabinets and furniture in late model trailers is horrible. Leather seats have have leather peeling problems and now cabinets with the finish falling off. $50,000 sure doesn't buy much anymore!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait !!! Don't start sanding because you will destroy what finish is left. This wood will not take stain!!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    I tried to touch up our table and made it worse. After sanding the furniture marker spots down to bare wood, I discovered it wouldn't take stain. Pale light weight wood, but several stain types did nothing. So now I'm back to the poor match of markers.

What kind of wood won't take stain?
    I had similar problem when refinishing my cabinets, the wood doesn't like to stain evenly.
    I tried oil based, then General Finishes gel based, and water based stain, then finally sprayed transtint toned finish.
    My cabinets need a satin finish added, but I stopped before I could make them look worse.
    It made me realize I suck at wood finishing and I never want to do cabinet wood finishing again.
    One of the doors with toned finish.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5899.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	33912
    Last edited by gbkims; 05-05-2021 at 08:52 AM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    The same thing is happening in my 2017 Reflection. The cabinets are not stained. This is a spay on lacquer finish and I doubt there is a fix for it !! Sanding will only destroy what finish is left and will make the overall appearance worse. A complete re decorating scheme must be used like paint.....not stain.

The cabinets and furniture in late model trailers is horrible. Leather seats have have leather peeling problems and now cabinets with the finish falling off. $50,000 sure doesn't buy much anymore!
    Sorry but you don't have leather seats unless you installed them yourself. It's called pleather cause it's a bonded material that wears much much faster than real leather.

As far as the cabinets goes, maybe take a door,drawer front to a cabinet maker and see if they can respray a color match stain on it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The surfaces are painted. They would have to be repainted as they will not take stain. I am wondering if they can be repainted and the wood grain finis put back on with the tool demonstrated on facebook. I see no other option. What color is used in the 2019 Imagine?
    2019 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
    2020 Ford F350 FX4 Lariat
    7.3 10 Speed Auto 4.30 gears

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast