Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with Satellite Antenna Decision

Having sold our 5r last year and with it the full Dish antenna set up, I'm now looking to chose one of the portable systems. We clearly would like HD and to be able to feed 2 Wally receivers (what was in the 5r). I understand that there are a number of limitations with the small portable antennas (distance from the receiver, etc). I'm also spinning at the variety (Tailgator, Playmaker, King, Wingard, etc). Any help filtering out all the noise will be helpful as I don't think I'm going back to the Dish Network HD Hybrid 1000.2 RV Sat due to the storage space required. Any pros and cons will be appreciated.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you search the forum, you'll find a number of discussions on this topic (one in the last day or two). Bottom line for automatic portable antennas for Dish Network is that the Winegard Pathway X2 has the largest reflector and, therefore, the best signal strength. It will feed two Wallys, but both receivers will have to be tuned to programming on the same satellite (the antenna is a single-LNB antenna, as are all of the automatic portables). As long as you use good, quad-shield coax to connect the antenna, the length of the cable run is less problematic than the poor quality of the coax and workmanship inside the RVs. A big advantage to the Pathway X2 is that it will receive both the eastern and western Dish satellite arcs. This means that you can get HD locals no matter where you are in the country (providing you can "see" the satellites, of course).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. In retrospect, I wish I had not let the Dish Hybrid 1000.2 RV Sat and the heavy tripod go with the big 5r. I used a 50' dual RG-6 3GHz Quad-Shield Solid Copper Core coax. The HD signal was as good as at home on both TVs once I got rid of the extra connectors behind the RV center. I'm looking at reviews and pricing on the X2 now. Looks like I'll need to find a way to prevent it easily growing feet.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    Thanks Rob. In retrospect, I wish I had not let the Dish Hybrid 1000.2 RV Sat and the heavy tripod go with the big 5r. I used a 50' dual RG-6 3GHz Quad-Shield Solid Copper Core coax. The HD signal was as good as at home on both TVs once I got rid of the extra connectors behind the RV center. I'm looking at reviews and pricing on the X2 now. Looks like I'll need to find a way to prevent it easily growing feet.
    I use a long, heavy-duty security cable with padlock on ours... but have had security cables cut before and the only place to attach the lock on the X2 is plastic. It might slow someone down, though.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Apple Air tags. I suspect a simple and cheap air tag installed under the dome surely would freak out someone when you steal your antenna back.

Of course, I'm not condoning getting your antenna back to the right home by stealing, but I'm assuming it would be faster than calling the police.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think only if you are boondocking is theft a real issue. Never had a problem with my Dish Playmaker being stolen at any campground. But theres always a first time I guess...

I purchased a bicycle flag with pole, attached to the handle with zip ties to mark ours. We usually just place it on the ground in the best location possible, and the flag helps identify its location for campground maintenance workers, walkers, and other RVers.

Used to have the hybrid 1000.2 RV setup, but got tired of having to spot, stake, level, and then aim to acquire the best signal. With the playmaker, no more leveling, staking or aiming. Just make sure to point the handle north and place in the clear and you got reception. Fast and easy.

As stated, the Pathway X2 is a good option for those needing two receiver connections. But considering we have a Hopper 3 at home, and typically good internet with our 4G boosted cell hotspot, we just use our Dish Anywhere app and sync to our bedroom smart TV or watch on our laptop if needing the second dish feed. Less equipment, coax, and cheaper portable dish for the possible 5% of time used. Also should mention that with the Dish Anywhere app we are not plagued by local rain outs either, and can have multiple connections to our Hopper as well.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 03-23-2022 at 11:28 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)