User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deposit down on 31MB, Hitch Q's for Super Duty Standard Bed

Hi Folks,

We just put a deposit on a 31MB, which will be our first fifth wheel, and hope to get some advice on 2 potential hitch strategies. I searched and found no thread covering the below. I'm really hoping that a few of you might be able to help educate me.

First, the truck is a 2020 F250 Super Duty SuperCrew Standard 6'9" Bed (not long bed but not as short as a Dodge's - zing), 7.3L gas, 4:30 gears, 3,300 payload. I've researched the payload vs. pin weight and am comfortable with what I have. This truck is also a Tremor Offroad package, which has F350 rear leaf springs.

Importantly, this truck has no fifth wheel prep, so I need to add the Ford puck system or a B&W turnover ball. I'd prefer the B&W turnover ball as it is only one hole cut in the bed but there are some nuances below that may push in favor of the Ford puck system.

Overall, I'm debating between 2 hitch/pinbox combos in weight, ease of use, bed utilization, and turning articulation capability. Would any of you be able to share your experiences regarding the red for either of these hitch and pin/goosebox approaches?

1. B&W Companion (non-slider) for Ford Puck System (5 holes in bed)
    • Weight of Hitch/Pinbox/Total: 150/100/250 pounds total
    • Ease of Hookup: Best (traditional 5er)
    • Bed Utilization: Hitch takes more space and requires 5 holes in bed for puck system.
    • Turning Articulation: I really don't know. Does anyone with a SuperCrew 6'9" bed use this hitch with a late model Reflection trailer? If so, how does it handle turns? I'm hoping to go this route but am concerned about the turning and don't want a slider due to weight.

2. Reese Goosebox 20K with B&W Turnover Ball system (1 hole in bed)

• Weight of Ball/Goosebox/Total: 10(ball)/225/235 pounds total
    • Ease of Hookup: Okay (requires perfect alignment over ball when backing and requires safety chains)
    • Bed Utilization: Allows for an empty bed as it is just a ball. Requires 1 hole in bed to install B&W turnover ball.
    • Turning Articulation: I have read that folks are using the B&W setback ball (4" setback) combined with the Goosebox to basically simulate a setback similar to a slider or the Andersen system and that it provides good turning capability. Is anyone able to confirm?
    • Any other concerns/bad experiences with the Goosebox?

Also, I forgot to say I'm not considering sliders due to their weight and, again, I'm comfortable with my payload capacity with this gas engine 3/4 ton.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Option 2 is our exact set up and I use the 4” offset. I have a 2019 F350 CC and found this to be the optimal combination, pulling a 2020 31MB. I have the 16k GB but I think they only make the 20k now. I’ve towed about 1000 miles and have zero complaints. Plenty of clearance and I can turn 75-80 degrees or so when I have to (try not to very often). We bought the Ford trailer prep wiring harness which is easy to install and gives you hookups in the bed for lights, brakes, etc.. Do it and don’t look back
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2019 F350 CC SW
    Reese Goosebox

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillwalker View Post
    • Turning Articulation: I have read that folks are using the B&W setback ball (4" setback) combined with the Goosebox to basically simulate a setback similar to a slider or the Andersen system and that it provides good turning capability. Is anyone able to confirm?

Also, I forgot to say I'm not considering sliders due to their weight and, again, I'm comfortable with my payload capacity with this gas engine 3/4 ton.
    I have a slider, and certainly understand objections to them. Ours occupies nearly half the area of the truck bed, weighs north of 300 pounds so it doesn't ever come out of the bed, and gets filthy with oil and dirt. I get that - I curse it myself sometimes.

However you've been misinformed. Our slider moves our Solitude back up to 14" when sharply turned, not 4" as you reported above.

I found out the hard way that we need nearly every inch of that for carefree maneuvering. We had a Back Rack on the truck with our slider hitch and towed a Reflection for a season without ever having to be cautious about turning as much as we needed to. We traded for a five-inch-wider Solitude, and on the way out of the dealer delivery shed nudged the trailer into the Back Rack and marked it a little. We had to remove the Back Rack to get another 2" of clearance for the trailer when turning.

Some people like @Roadtrip31MB accept the burden of attention and compromise necessary to tow fifth wheels that threaten their cabs. However we have been in MANY too-small campgrounds and busy fuel stations where the full-turning capability that the slider gives us has been very valuable. Valuable enough that I won't give it up, despite the many things I don't like about it.

Good luck with your choice.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s no burden Boyscout, nor compromise and my cab is never threatened as long as you have common sense. With the Solitudes being wider I can see the need for slider and a dually. Towing a reflection requires neither.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2019 F350 CC SW
    Reese Goosebox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at my signature you will see my trailer and truck combination. I have towed from Ohio to Montana and back last summer and from Ohio to AZ this winter with numerous stops and tight spots on each trip. I am happy with the B&W companion hitch cab clearance. We do have to watch the turns but by the time the clearance is an issue we are sliding the rear trailer axel sideways. No, we cannot get to 90 degrees but have also broken a rear leaf spring bracket (probably due to side loading the bracket in sharp turns). So, as far as I am concerned the B&W hitch is fine.
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the Turnoverball, you'll need additional holes in the bed for the chain hookups. They are small in relation to the 4" ball hole, but still necessary. So keep that in mind.

That being said, I'm loving our 31MB with the Goose Box in my Silverado with the 6'7" bed and 4" offset ball. I can't get to 90 degrees, but I'm not sure how necessary that it. I can get pretty dang far around. And the having easy access to the full bed with no obstructions is fantastic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210109_215146126.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	31768

Name:	PXL_20210109_215201223.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	31769

Name:	PXL_20210109_215213693.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	31770
    Last edited by thunder550; 01-25-2021 at 10:25 AM.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, CCSB 4x4, LBZ Duramax
    B&W Turnover Ball with 4" offset

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillwalker View Post
    Hi Folks,

We just put a deposit on a 31MB, which will be our first fifth wheel, and hope to get some advice on 2 potential hitch strategies. I searched and found no thread covering the below. I'm really hoping that a few of you might be able to help educate me.

First, the truck is a 2020 F250 Super Duty SuperCrew Standard 6'9" Bed (not long bed but not as short as a Dodge's - zing), 7.3L gas, 4:30 gears, 3,300 payload. I've researched the payload vs. pin weight and am comfortable with what I have. This truck is also a Tremor Offroad package, which has F350 rear leaf springs.

Importantly, this truck has no fifth wheel prep, so I need to add the Ford puck system or a B&W turnover ball. I'd prefer the B&W turnover ball as it is only one hole cut in the bed but there are some nuances below that may push in favor of the Ford puck system.

Overall, I'm debating between 2 hitch/pinbox combos in weight, ease of use, bed utilization, and turning articulation capability. Would any of you be able to share your experiences regarding the red for either of these hitch and pin/goosebox approaches?

1. B&W Companion (non-slider) for Ford Puck System (5 holes in bed)
    • Weight of Hitch/Pinbox/Total: 150/100/250 pounds total
    • Ease of Hookup: Best (traditional 5er)
    • Bed Utilization: Hitch takes more space and requires 5 holes in bed for puck system.
    • Turning Articulation: I really don't know. Does anyone with a SuperCrew 6'9" bed use this hitch with a late model Reflection trailer? If so, how does it handle turns? I'm hoping to go this route but am concerned about the turning and don't want a slider due to weight.

2. Reese Goosebox 20K with B&W Turnover Ball system (1 hole in bed)

• Weight of Ball/Goosebox/Total: 10(ball)/225/235 pounds total
    • Ease of Hookup: Okay (requires perfect alignment over ball when backing and requires safety chains)
    • Bed Utilization: Allows for an empty bed as it is just a ball. Requires 1 hole in bed to install B&W turnover ball.

I also have a tremor with the same bed length. Ours doesn’t have the Ford puck system either. Based on talking to my dealer they said it would be pretty costly to do the puck system now. I ended up with the Reese rail system and use the Andersen ultimate. We have no issues whatsoever with cab clearance. Only once did we come close to my bed cover, which is the bak revolver. Rolled up it is about 8-9” or so out from the cab. That was an easy fix in just unrolling it a bit so it flattened out to go under the camper as I backed in. This hitch was a great option for the weight consideration and it’s super easy to remove from the truck and you still get your bed space for hauling stuff when you don’t have the camper attached. I realize this wasn’t one of your two options but I went through the same dilemma as you and have been very happy with our Andersen. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 F250 Tremor 7.3L 4.30axle
    2020 Reflection 31MB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the 4" offset ball, you'll love the goosebox. Super smooth tow. We left a liquid soap dispenser on our bath countertop and drove home ~200 miles from the beach. It didn't budge...

If you've got the 360° camera system hitching is easy-peasy.

*edit* I'll learn to read one day.
    Last edited by Appfan; 01-29-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the OP I hope you don't see this as a high jack or anything but considering I'm probably ordering a new truck in a few weeks hope you don't mind. Should I be ordering a long box? cause I was just gonna use a slider hitch for a 367BHS.

Sounds like only downside to slider is its big and it weighs a lot. I have a 20' flat bed and I actually don't use the back of my truck for hardly anything.
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad1383 View Post
    To the OP I hope you don't see this as a high jack or anything but considering I'm probably ordering a new truck in a few weeks hope you don't mind. Should I be ordering a long box? cause I was just gonna use a slider hitch for a 367BHS.

Sounds like only downside to slider is its big and it weighs a lot. I have a 20' flat bed and I actually don't use the back of my truck for hardly anything.
    If you can work a long bed into your driving routine, I'd totally go with a long-bed and goosebox setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast