User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Member and New 340RDS Owner, Ready to Install a Washer/Dryer

Hello fellow Grand Designers! We're Doug and Nancy, and Proud new Grand Design 340RDS Reflection Owners!
    About 6 weeks ago, We became the proud owners of a Grand Design 340RDS Reflection 5th Wheel. We're not brand new to 5th wheels or campers, but this is our largest and most feature-packed. We're almost ready to embark on a full-time adventure throughout the US, and still adding a few upgrades to our rig. We're about to pick up a Splendide Vented Washer/Dryer Combo and install it where GD Recommends. I'd like your thoughts on possible problems, issues, hits and misses you all may have encountered...IE: Is the Vent decal in the right place, did you use a pan, etc.
    Thanks everyone, and happy RV-ing!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We debated a washer/dryer but much research convinced us that they do not seem to work all that well so we use laundrymats (sp?).
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group. I have no experience what so ever with the washer and dryer but from what I've read on here, it's best to vent outside and separate units as opposed to 2 in 1 is better. If possible. Hopefully, others with more experience and knowledge with this question will chime in.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidmond View Post
    Hello fellow Grand Designers! We're Doug and Nancy, and Proud new Grand Design 340RDS Reflection Owners!
    About 6 weeks ago, We became the proud owners of a Grand Design 340RDS Reflection 5th Wheel. We're not brand new to 5th wheels or campers, but this is our largest and most feature-packed. We're almost ready to embark on a full-time adventure throughout the US, and still adding a few upgrades to our rig. We're about to pick up a Splendide Vented Washer/Dryer Combo and install it where GD Recommends. I'd like your thoughts on possible problems, issues, hits and misses you all may have encountered...IE: Is the Vent decal in the right place, did you use a pan, etc.
    Thanks everyone, and happy RV-ing!
    We would never be without one! I installed our Splendide 2100XC yesterday. I found the vent decal to be in the correct location but would suggest that you verify with a stud finder. I used a Westland chrome vent kit.

After you confirm that the drill hole is correctly located, drill outward with a long drill bit for a pilot hole. Then, get your 4" hole saw and drill inwards. I would recommend small pilot holes for all of the backplate screws. I used Lexcel clear as a caulking/adhesive around the entire vent. It is a great product. Smooth it with a finger dipped in some soapy water. That's the secret.

In our Solitude, we had to remove one side of the door trim at the washer closet. It is just stapled in. After that, it's just hooking up. In our rig, the wet side connections are poorly located making it almost impossible to use the shutoffs. I will be adding sharkbite shut-offs probably in the basement...although there is a section of a carpeted chase between the closet and the dresser. I have to look at that. It may be easy to just put that on a hinge to access the pex pipe in that area and put the cutoff valves right there. Don't forget the Splendide foot clips to hold it down in transit.

All in all, not a bad job. The hardest part was getting it up the stairs into the rig. If you have room, back right up to the entry door with the washer on a pickup truck tailgate and it's easy. Or use a dolly. Backing up those steps carrying half of a washer was tough.

I had a pan from the previous install and didn't bother with it. I have never had a leak that a pan would help with.

PM me if any questions.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Response and thanks for the 1st hand information and tips. I'm not sure how accessible my Water Valves will be until I actually place the unit, but great tips on installing inline cutoffs. I like the idea of possible using the chase next to the dresser. Also, great tips on drilling the vent access. I assume the unit doesn't come with a vent kit. Did you find one online or somewhere else, like Camping World? Also, were you able to use the supplied Vent Pipe, or did you buy a longer one.
    Again, thanks a bunch for your response. We plan on hitting the proverbial road on July 1.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get both the Westland vent kit and mounting clips on Amazon;

Westland VID403AC Clothes Dryer Vent Installation Kit 44; Silver is what I used.

The clips are Westland MK01 secure mounting brackets.

Yes, there was enough flex vent for it to work...
    But just enough. As others have said, the only thing good about this kit is the vent opening cover. But it's the best option that I know of.

Happy drilling.