User Tag List

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar battery trickle charger?

I am a complete noob with regard to solar power battery charging systems, but I think I want to add a battery trickle charger to my 2021 Solitude 310GK. I have no interest in off-grid camping, but would love to keep my battery charged while in storage.

I believe that there is wiring from the roof to the inverter area, but beyond that, I know absolutely nothing.

Could anyone offer any words of wisdom or suggestions?
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes next to no power to keep batteries happy if there isn't any actual draw as well. In most rigs there are a few things that don't disconnect when you throw the big red battery switch.

My set up (5W 24V very old panel) bypasses that switch so even the propane sensor is off, but the charger still does it's thing.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as a data point, my 349M draws very very little current with the big red battery switch off and the batteries still connected.
    It would take several months to drain them.

If you're interested in how I figured this out, here's my post on it - https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post361040

What seems to be true is that these units aren't consistently wired. Some people report several amps draw with the switch off, so YMMV.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 05-05-2021 at 12:31 PM.
    signature

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Solitude will drain out upgraded deep cycle (1 battery) in about 2 months with the red switch off.

I'd love a solar trickle charger. Ideally, you can measure the drain with the red switch thrown, and then get a charging system that will stay above the drain amperage.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    2017 GMC Sierra Dually Denali w/ the 6.6L Duramax
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS