User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zeroing in on my first 5th Wheel Toy Hauler by Grand Design

Any advice as to what year & model would be the best for a new RVer? Selling my 2600 sqft home & moving into my RV with two large dogs & a couple of cats as my main residence. Looking at a 2014 Grand Design 355th in Texas. I've been looking for several years & like Grand Design the best so far.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a tough one because they all have subjective pros and cons.

Things to consider:

Second bath required?
    If so, full or half?
    Length of garage needed?
    Do you need a lot of basement storage?
    Is living room layout more important than anything else?
    Capability of tow vehicle?
    Length of trailer requirements?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replying. Need basement storage for 40” x 60” paintings, could use the 10’ garage where beds can hoist them up out of the way. No toys just two big dogs. Buying a tow to fit the trailer. Trailer length; 36’ - 40’ fifth wheel or gooseneck. Would love to have a shower+ bath & room for my full size refrigerator, washer & dryer. Height is important, 12’ might make it through an low bridge if off the beaten path. Planning routes ahead to avoid traps. Plus keeping up to the hour local weather forecasts.
    Tall order & years of hunting!

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDWDSGNS View Post
    Need basement storage for 40” x 60” paintings, could use the 10’ garage where beds can hoist them up out of the way.
    Basement storage is usually lacking on any toy hauler. Garage storage ia great, but also have to be carefull of bed weight limit. Not really designed to be a lift for more than the beds.

Buying a tow to fit the trailer.
    Most 5th wheel toy haulers will want a DRW truck. That payload is what gets you really quick.

Trailer length; 36’ - 40’ fifth wheel or gooseneck.
    That really only leaves you with models 34"X" or 35"X" for the 5th wheel Momentums (most models are 40'+)

Would love to have a shower+ bath & room for my full size refrigerator, washer & dryer.
    I don't think any of the sub 40'ers have full baths but usually have a half bath option. Full size washer and dryer can work if you vet 120v models.

Height is important, 12’ might make it through an low bridge if off the beaten path.
    Don't think this exists. All toy haulers are usually full profile and 13' at least.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any advice as to what year & model would be the best for a new RVer? Selling my 2600 sqft home & moving into my RV with two large dogs & a couple of cats as my main residence. Looking at a 2014 Grand Design 355th in Texas. I've been looking for several years & like Grand Design the best so far.
    That 355TH will be almost 13' 5" in height. And you definitely need a Dually with at least 4000+ lbs of payload capacity.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"