User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheel Well Fabric/Water barrier above the tires

I changed out my tires today, preparing for our summer trip and had my first chance to really look up under. I was surprised to find that the protection above my wheels was a Fabric/Water barrier. Not all that solid looking. It is more than a plastic sheet and I'm sure Grand Design would have a proper water barrier so my question is has anyone had trouble with debris from the wheels cause water issues? Has anyone done anything to increase the protection from the tires?
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill- there have been a few folks reporting and sharing pictures of the black fabric material getting torn/worn/etc. from either tires hitting the fabric while being towed or from something picked up by a tire(s) and damaging it over the years. Simply cleaning and taping the damaged area with some sort of appropriate tape and ensuring the fabric is tight against the floor so it is not sagging has been done. We were one of those.

In the last nearly a year, GDRV has begun installing a metal plate above the tire(s) to protect the fabric and flooring. I suspect you can identify the metal plate for your 320 from the parts lookup on the GDRV site and order through your/a dealer.

TucsonJim and a few folks have made their own metal plates and added them to their RVs. If you search Jim's posts using the word metal and/or plate or wheel welll you will find it. If not, let me know and I will find it and share the thread link.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wjpatter View Post
    I changed out my tires today, preparing for our summer trip and had my first chance to really look up under. I was surprised to find that the protection above my wheels was a Fabric/Water barrier. Not all that solid looking. It is more than a plastic sheet and I'm sure Grand Design would have a proper water barrier so my question is has anyone had trouble with debris from the wheels cause water issues? Has anyone done anything to increase the protection from the tires?
    Huh? Our 2018 Imagine 2670MK did not have any metal shielding over the tires. Our 2020 Imagine 2970RL had the metal protection @Canyonlight mentioned. Our 2019 S Class Solitude 3350 does not have any metal protection. On my to do list.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did mine a couple years ago after a blow out. I repaired the fiberglass insulation, installed a plastic water barrier and the bought sheet metal at Home Depot and custom made the wheel well liner. Next I screwed it to the metal frame work. I haven't had another blow out to test it but I know it protects the floor from rocks and mud. Very easy project just took about a day to do both sides.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    I did mine a couple years ago after a blow out. I repaired the fiberglass insulation, installed a plastic water barrier and the bought sheet metal at Home Depot and custom made the wheel well liner. Next I screwed it to the metal frame work. I haven't had another blow out to test it but I know it protects the floor from rocks and mud. Very easy project just took about a day to do both sides.
    Thanks, for sharing this. Curious - did you seal the metal plate with any type of caulk/other or just screwed it on ? If it works to do so (if you do not have pictures) would appreciate seeing pictures of your install.

Thanks, in advance.

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the holes is from tire contact you may want to inspect the suspension for flat springs.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    [COLOR=#b22222 If the holes is from tire contact you may want to inspect the suspension for flat springs. [/COLOR]
    Marcy - comment directed at whom ? If me, you may recall in various posts over the last couple years, Jerry and his team upgraded our axles to 6K springs/axles along with 16" wheels and tires when our walls were replaced. We have more than an inch more clearance now.

And, there have been a few of us where we reported over the years that the tire rub only occurred on the street heavier side with these floor plans when heavily loaded and most likely compounded by rough roads. GDRV Factory Service Center repaired the fabric material when installing our new 6K axles.

Our original 5.2K springs were fine.

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Canyonlight, If you do a search for a thread titled " Tire blowout damage" I posted on page 5 the dimensions the sheeting has to be cut to for each side, I used #12 self drilling sheet metal screws to attach and I sealed with silicone caulk at the contact points to keep water out. A couple of entries down I posted pictures in the same thread. If you have trouble finding it let me know and I'll figure out how to post a link for you. The date of my entries are 6-14-2019 and 7-4-2019. I have really been happy with this DIY improvement. I'll search for my pictures but, I may have deleted them.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Marcy - comment directed at whom ? If me, you may recall in various posts over the last couple years, Jerry and his team upgraded our axles to 6K springs/axles along with 16" wheels and tires when our walls were replaced. We have more than an inch more clearance now.

And, there have been a few of us where we reported over the years that the tire rub only occurred on the street heavier side with these floor plans when heavily loaded and most likely compounded by rough roads. GDRV Factory Service Center repaired the fabric material when installing our new 6K axles.

Our original 5.2K springs were fine.

Dan

Sorry, forgot to reply with quote...have not had the required amount of coffee yet this AM.
    I guess the post could be for anyone experiencing tire rub, but was meant for the OP wjpatter.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    @Canyonlight, If you do a search for a thread titled " Tire blowout damage" I posted on page 5 the dimensions the sheeting has to be cut to for each side, I used #12 self drilling sheet metal screws to attach and I sealed with silicone caulk at the contact points to keep water out. A couple of entries down I posted pictures in the same thread. If you have trouble finding it let me know and I'll figure out how to post a link for you. The date of my entries are 6-14-2019 and 7-4-2019. I have really been happy with this DIY improvement. I'll search for my pictures but, I may have deleted them.
    This is what I found in my quick search. Thanks, for the heads up on your post......I recalled it when I saw it and the pictures your post #48 . Maybe this link will be useful to others:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...279#post240279

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast