Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire jack placement

I need to change tires on one axle due to wear and I would like to just remove the tires and have them done. Manual says not to place a jack under the axle but only under the frame to lift the trailer. Lifting the trailer 6 inches is a lot, does anyone place the jack under the saddle bolts of the axle to lift the trailer? Placing the bottle jack under the frame of the rear axle lifts the front tires off the ground before the rear. This seems kinda backwards?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy axle cradles for your bottle jack. They help support the axle.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you place a jack under the saddle bolts with a cradle, either purchased or made from wooden cribbing you will be oK. The other way is to roll the trailer up onto a pile of blocks. For example crib under the front curb side wheel. As the wheel rides up the cribbing it will assume all the trailer weight on that side and the rear curb side wheel will come off the ground. Can only do one side at a time. Something like the Andersen Rapid jack is ideal - works for my trailer.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lifting it up under the U bolts is much more productive verses the frame. Thinking about it, all the weight is on that area anyway so lifting there shouldn't be a great concern for short term. Placing a jack stand as close to the bottle jack should allow you use the same bottle jack on the opposite end and use another jack stand for safety. The front axles are sill on the ground and supporting weight. Doesn't this all seem to make sense and doable to remove both tires for about 4 hours to have them changed out?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always jack under the U bolts when I only have to lift one wheel at a time to change a tire. Anything more involved than that and I will take it to my trailer guy.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2