User Tag List

Thread: Dish TV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dish TV

We own an Imagine XLS and would like to explore an option for getting TV especially in remote locations. Considering getting a dish satellite antennas and want to know how to get internet from the satellite and which providers can do so. Any information you can give us would be very helpful.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlakey View Post
    We own an Imagine XLS and would like to explore an option for getting TV especially in remote locations. Considering getting a dish satellite antennas and want to know how to get internet from the satellite and which providers can do so. Any information you can give us would be very helpful.
    Getting internet via Dish TV or Direct TV provider through satellite is not possible. For satellite internet you would need a provider like Hughes net, Viasat etc. for TV/Internet packages Dish uses several partners for wired internet with their packages.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of the satellite TV providers offer internet. There is a company (owned by Elon Musk) putting up satellites to do internet, but it's still in beta. RVers use cellular technology for internet (but you won't be streaming video that way without an expensive data plan). For TV, we have a Dish Network outdoor account and use a Wally receiver with a Pathway X2 antenna. For internet, we have an older, "grandfathered" unlimited data plan with Verizon and use a MiFi hotspot to connect.

You can get a lot of good information here: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    None of the satellite TV providers offer internet. There is a company (owned by Elon Musk) putting up satellites to do internet, but it's still in beta. RVers use cellular technology for internet (but you won't be streaming video that way without an expensive data plan). For TV, we have a Dish Network outdoor account and use a Wally receiver with a Pathway X2 antenna. For internet, we have an older, "grandfathered" unlimited data plan with Verizon and use a MiFi hotspot to connect.

Rob
    Thank you for the information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    Can you tell me more about the MiFi hotspot? Any chance you stream Netflix or other tv app with it very much? Any issues using the MiFi with laptop or iPad?

I think when I called Verizon said 15GB a month for $20 a month but we could get it for$10 a month because of our current Verizon plan - which is an older unlimited plan (possibly like yours).

Of course the MiFi costing $200 and not being able to return it without a restocking fee has kept us from committing. We are not full-time and Verizon said we could start and stop service as needed which is helpful for us. Any input you can give me would be very helpful in making our decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David & Janelle plus April & Jazzee our blue heelers
    Farming/ranching in eastern Colorado...but not for much longer!!
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL (4/2019)
    2020 Ford F450 DRW 4X4 8' bed (1/2020)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by janelle29 View Post
    Can you tell me more about the MiFi hotspot? Any chance you stream Netflix or other tv app with it very much? Any issues using the MiFi with laptop or iPad?

I think when I called Verizon said 15GB a month for $20 a month but we could get it for$10 a month because of our current Verizon plan - which is an older unlimited plan (possibly like yours).

Of course the MiFi costing $200 and not being able to return it without a restocking fee has kept us from committing. We are not full-time and Verizon said we could start and stop service as needed which is helpful for us. Any input you can give me would be very helpful in making our decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Janelle,

Go read on the link I provided. We stream video all the time (Amazon Prime, NetFlix), but we have an unlimited data plan. HD video uses about 2GB per hour so you have to have a really hefty data plan to handle that. It's not going to happen on 15GB/month. Our MiFi allows about a dozen devices to be connected, so both laptops, the Echos, two Kindles, etc., all operate through the MiFi. Again, there's lots of information if you follow the link above. Also, not all "unlimited" plans are truly unlimited. They will throttle the data speed once you reach a certain limit. You have to read the fine print.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlakey View Post
    I don't know a lot about the internet/streaming options available out there to RVers, but we use a Visable sim card in an old iphone 8 for a hot spot for internet and streaming. It uses Verizon towers. I don't know a lot about it except that it works great as long as you can get a somewhat decent verizon cell signal. The wife handles that account but she tells me its an unlimited plan and its $40 a month. We routinely stream Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney etc through a Roku Ultra LT unit. For internet we have a desk top, 2 Iphone cells and a laptop connected at the same time via WiFi to the Visable sim card Iphone.
    We do connect our AT&T Iphone cells via WiFi to the Visable unit a lot so we don't use up our AT&T data plan, it's a limited account. If the Verizon signal is ify, we can use the AT&T cell phones as a hot spot also to connect everything, but our AT&T account is limited so if we go over it gets throttled.
    For general television signals we use the RV antenna a lot if we are close to a bigger city. The campground we are staying at now includes cable television so we are using that. Our plan works for us so far, rarely are we out of range of both AT&T or Verizon but if we cant get much signal at all we generally read alot.

We have enough stuff to haul around i just don't want to have to deal with a dish dome.

Steve
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-05-2021 at 11:36 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel