Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Tank Flush with Drain Closed? Problems?

We own a 2021 22MLE and love it. I rigged up a short hose to attach to the black tank flush connection from the adjacent spray port. There is a Caution sticker there that says, "Do not use the tank flush valve unless the tank termination valve is in the open position. Can result in an unsanitary condition leading to illness or personal injury." Is the concern here about someone absentmindedly forgetting to shut off the water and consequently overflowing the tank into the trailer? I like to add 3-4 gallons of water after I've dumped/flushed but I'd hate to blow out a seal or something like that if that's a potential problem. Using the black tank flush is a whole lot easier than carrying a 5-gallon bucket of water into the trailer and dumping it down the toilet.

Anyone else doing this? Problems?

Jerry
    Sandy, OR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-1303.jpg  
    Jerry Crosby
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2006 Silverado 1500HD

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that's exactly what the warning is for.

You hook it up and start putting the water in, then your neighbor comes over and starts chatting, you have a good talk and next thing you know, the black tank water is coming out of the vent on the roof.

Hasn't happened to me, but I have seen it happen....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    but I have seen it happen....
    There's a good story for around the campfire...lol
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... and next thing you know, the black tank water is coming out of the vent on the roof.
    I guess that's better than seeing it come out the windows!!
    Jerry Crosby
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2006 Silverado 1500HD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that's exactly what the warning is for.

You hook it up and start putting the water in, then your neighbor comes over and starts chatting, you have a good talk and next thing you know, the black tank water is coming out of the vent on the roof.

Hasn't happened to me, but I have seen it happen....
    Our friends at our park in Florida admitted to once showering the park with sewage from his roof vent when he got side-tracked while flushing....
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwcrosby View Post
    ... Is the concern here about someone absentmindedly forgetting to shut off the water and consequently overflowing the tank into the trailer? I like to add 3-4 gallons of water after I've dumped/flushed but I'd hate to blow out a seal or something like that if that's a potential problem. ...

I know @huntr70 has tons of experience, but I close the valve and continue to fill for a couple of minutes all the time. Been doing it for years. Can't imagine I'd ever get distracted, because I know what would happen if I did. I just believe that more water is better when you're trying to get a good flush.
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    I know @huntr70 has tons of experience, but I close the valve and continue to fill for a couple of minutes all the time. Been doing it for years. Can't imagine I'd ever get distracted, because I know what would happen if I did. I just believe that more water is better when you're trying to get a good flush.
    I do the same thing.

A buddy of mine was rinsing his one time with the valve closed and got distracted. Blank tank shower off of the roof......
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do the same thing.

A buddy of mine was rinsing his one time with the valve closed and got distracted. Blank tank shower off of the roof......
    We also do the same but hopefully that neighbor won't ever distract me with a nice cold one on a warm sunny day.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwcrosby View Post
    We own a 2021 22MLE and love it. I rigged up a short hose to attach to the black tank flush connection from the adjacent spray port. There is a Caution sticker there that says, "Do not use the tank flush valve unless the tank termination valve is in the open position. Can result in an unsanitary condition leading to illness or personal injury." Is the concern here about someone absentmindedly forgetting to shut off the water and consequently overflowing the tank into the trailer? I like to add 3-4 gallons of water after I've dumped/flushed but I'd hate to blow out a seal or something like that if that's a potential problem. Using the black tank flush is a whole lot easier than carrying a 5-gallon bucket of water into the trailer and dumping it down the toilet.

Jerry
    Sandy, OR
    I do like your setup. What adapter did you use?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I do like your setup. What adapter did you use?
    I bought a 2-1/2 foot hose from Amazon (Giraffe Leader Hose Hybrid 5/8 in.x 2.5FT Extension Garden Hose, Water Hose, SwivelGrip/Heavy Duty/Lightweight/Flexible Lead-Hose) and a quick connect piece (Valterra LLC PF247007 Quick Connect Hose Adapt) and it works fine.
    Jerry Crosby
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2006 Silverado 1500HD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast