User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good thoughts ... I think the fact that I haven't pulled something of this size calls for more room for error. I've heard people pulling these size trailers with an Armada with "no problem". But would rather be safe that sorry.

I obviously have a lot to learn. Thanks!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd swing by the Ford and Chebby dealers and check some payload stickers on Expiditions and Tahoes. You already realize that higher trim & options ding you in the payload so I'll leave that to your discretion. A point I think you are missing is the load ratings of the receiver hitch itself. You need to check out the hitch stickers for their limits when you check payload.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-22-2021 at 02:43 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW. If I remember correctly, CAT scales says our 2020 21BHE tongue weighs somewhere between 700 and 800 lbs. when its equipped for a long weekend and has a full fresh water tank.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some SUVs make good tow vehicles as they can come equipped with a towing package that may include a brake controller, extra cooling capacity for the engine oil and transmission fluid, two haul mode, and heavier suspension components. A larger gas tank is also a plus if it is available. I don't know if the Armada is one of them. I believe the Ford Expedition and Chevy Suburban can be equipped with these features. A Ford Excursion is even better. I imagine there is a GMC equivalent to the Suburban and maybe a Lincoln equivalent to the Expedition if you are looking for luxury. I'm not sure what Dodge offers. Regardless you need those features included in the tow package and not all SUVs have them available as options. Their towing capacity is in the 8000 to 9000 lbs range so they should handle the trailer. Remember you have to subtract the tongue weight and hitch weight from the payload carrying capacity. That is where many half ton trucks and SUVs have a problem.
    Last edited by GaryS1964; 05-22-2021 at 07:40 PM.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone! Decided to go with a 2020 Ford Expedition with the HD towing package. Towing capacity at 9300. Payload just under 1700. And our kids are still small enough that we're all under 400 lbs. so think we have a little bit of room to grow and learn. And unless the tongue weight ends up being way beyond what anyone is experiencing on this forum I think we should be good to go.

Really appreciate everyone's feedback. It was super helpful in making our decision.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatAdventure View Post
    Thanks everyone! Decided to go with a 2020 Ford Expedition with the HD towing package. Towing capacity at 9300. Payload just under 1700. And our kids are still small enough that we're all under 400 lbs. so think we have a little bit of room to grow and learn. And unless the tongue weight ends up being way beyond what anyone is experiencing on this forum I think we should be good to go.

Really appreciate everyone's feedback. It was super helpful in making our decision.
    Congrats, now go get ready to enjoy your new toys. [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I understand you statement:

“I'll be good if I'm careful - so I'd imagine you'll be fine.”

How do you plan and be careful for a blowout?
    How to you plan and be careful for an emergency
    Avoidance maneuver?
    How do you plan and be careful about going downhill and needed to stop quickly?
    How do you plan for the deer which jumps on your way?

You can be very careful however you can’t plan for everything.

That’s the importance of not being at max or exceeedin payload capacity. Be safe....always ....not just when you are careful

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Not sure I understand you statement:

“I'll be good if I'm careful - so I'd imagine you'll be fine.”

How do you plan and be careful for a blowout?
    How to you plan and be careful for an emergency
    Avoidance maneuver?
    How do you plan and be careful about going downhill and needed to stop quickly?
    How do you plan for the deer which jumps on your way?

You can be very careful however you can’t plan for everything.

That’s the importance of not being at max or exceeedin payload capacity. Be safe....always ....not just when you are careful
    Who said this?

I went back through all the posts and couldn’t find it

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mekatzer-

I'm looking at a Ram 1500, which has a lower payload capacity (~1,500), and the sense I've got is if I'm not willing to go up to a 3/4 ton, I'll be good if I'm careful - so I'd imagine you'll be fine.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Mekatzer-

I'm looking at a Ram 1500, which has a lower payload capacity (~1,500), and the sense I've got is if I'm not willing to go up to a 3/4 ton, I'll be good if I'm careful - so I'd imagine you'll be fine.
    Hey that’s me! I was referring to being careful with load planning, not overloading the truck and then “being careful” as a compensation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12