Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tongue Weight WDH Safety Clarification Needed

I've been methodical in getting into RV Lifestyle.
    Renting before buying.
    Checking safety calcs and figuring out where I might want to be in future.
    Starting with Expedition and then waiting to upgrade to F350 SRW Superduty.

I have made mistakes- realized I really wanted the better construction and design of a Imagine 2910 after buying a transcend 265BH, which I put up for sale for a small loss.

Yet, summer is almost here and at the moment:
    - Expedition is limited to 1600lbs payload, 930lbs tongue weight, 123in wheelbase, 9300lb tow rating but otherwise is fitted like f150
    - Current trailer 24mpr imagine toyhauler is under 30ft and 6300lbs empty, been retrofitting for long term use as portable office/couples trailer and long term weekend getaways, will keep or lend to kids even if add imagine 2910 as 2nd trailer later. Been focus on putting all weight in back whenever possible.
    - No real plan to ever go above 34ft, no plan to ever 5th wheel

- The F350 I want is next year's model with sync 4 integrated and has trailer handling built into navigation (Ford first), Build time is minimum 5 months, and probably looking at September to December delivery.

Until then, is it safe to tow the 24mpr with the expedition?

The big concern is tongue weight... 24mpr is front heavy as all toy haulers are empty, but you can redistribute weight with wdh and back load to even out. The unit is listed at 864lbs hitch weight on GD , but I'm trying to get closer to 800lbs when I head out this summer and will weigh with scale to confirm.

Unfortunately, all good hitches are 150-200lbs including weigh safe, geny plus Reese straight line, pro pride, etc.

800+150=950lbs > 930lb limit on expedition.
    WDH can redistribute so that effective weight is closer to 800-850lbs.

Initial towing tests have mild porposing, some slightly higher transmission temps but relatively safe and ok ride. The proposing is probably due to the 22" tires on the expedition being non truck and ccd suspension being slightly soft. The transmission temp only when braking going downhill sustained with several passengers.

I can add LT tires to stiffen ride and timbren type devices to reduce bump stop travel. Maybe, add morryde to smooth out suspension on 24mpr.

But, am I just deluding myself...I'm not trying to damage the expedition.... should I just rent f150 for summer or rent a different trailer until f350 arrives?

Yes, I'm aware that even if tongue weight distributed to 800lbs..that leaves 1600-800=~800lbs as remaining payload. I haven't gone to scales yet to test individual axles. I do have the new weigh safe wdh with the smart app to ensure load distribution.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a pretty amazing write up. Very few people get trailer weight/truck capacity numbers. It appears to me that you are near capacity on the Expedition. If it were me I would take my trips with the system you have outlined knowing that I am near capacity and acting accordingly. Slow down, give more space between vehicles, tip toe over rough roads, shorter trips. But taking the time to play at the local truck stop CAT scale would answer the question definitively. The CAT scale application makes it pretty easy.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^x2 what @D2Reid
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE