User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for easy stop for one night near Raleigh, NC

We are headed to the Outer Banks in June, starting out near Asheville, NC and would like to find something for one night about halfway. Will be going to Ocracoke.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and Welcome! Check out KOA's. They're not cheap but usually right on the hi-way and next to a train track for your listening pleasure. But are a quick in and out.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure of anything right on the path right in Raleigh. There is a KOA in Greensboro that is right on the way, would be stopping 90 minutes or so earlier (west) than Raleigh. There is another in Rocky Mount (just east of Raleigh), but that is a bit off track.

In the Raleigh area, i tend to camp at the campgrounds around Falls Lake, but, again, not simple access off the interstate.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pattytahoe View Post
    We are headed to the Outer Banks in June, starting out near Asheville, NC and would like to find something for one night about halfway. Will be going to Ocracoke.
    I grew up in Raleigh. The state fair in Raleigh has a campground. William B. Umstead State about 7 miles out of town also has camping.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.ncparks.gov/falls-lake-s...n-area/camping
    North of Raleigh, I haven't been there myself but my experience with NC state parks is they take pride in them. NC state parks extend senior discounts to all campers even if you aren't a state resident.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    I grew up in Raleigh. The state fair in Raleigh has a campground. William B. Umstead State about 7 miles out of town also has camping.

-Steve
    The NC state park website only shows tent and primitive camping at Umstead State Park
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    https://www.ncparks.gov/falls-lake-s...n-area/camping
    North of Raleigh, I haven't been there myself but my experience with NC state parks is they take pride in them. NC state parks extend senior discounts to all campers even if you aren't a state resident.
    I camp at the Falls Lake (there are a few different choices, all state run) campgrounds often; I have been there this year. They are nice campgrounds; heavily wooded and nicely spread out. That said, a few things; these are older sites, not the friendliest for large rigs (entrances not angled very well on all sites), no full hookups (water and electric), and only 30 amp service. For the OP, all probably not an issue for a quick stay. Just not right off the interstate like some of the KOAs are.
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    The NC state park website only shows tent and primitive camping at Umstead State Park
    That is correct regarding Umstead, not for RVs. Regarding the fairgrounds, it is more of a big parking lot than a campground, but RVs will go there; more for folks engaged with activities at the fairground. I have never taken an RV there, but my understanding is that they do not take reservations; first come, first serve.
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pattytahoe View Post
    A lot of good suggestions already posted. Building an itinerary is complications and very personal with a lot of intangible decisions. Most of my route planning involves Google Map and CampGroundReview.com. It gives you a lot of data and choices. The map function have improved since covid. Unless really pressed, I seldom stay at rating less than 8 of 10, which you can quickly assess.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CampGroundReview.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	33984
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Campendium: https://www.campendium.com/cabelas-garner-nc
    There is a Cabella store with 2 positive reviews for overnight camping in Garner, NC
    Or just type in Raleigh NC into Campendium and see what else is along your route
    2020 F-450 Lariat, CrewCab 8' bed, diesel
    2020 Solitude S-series 2930rl-R