User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dimmer Switch Installation Imagine 2600RB (Cabin, Awning, Bedroom & Ext. V-Light)

Last night my husband and I completed our second trailer modification of adding dimmer switches to our main cabin (overhead) lighting, the exterior awning lights, bedroom light and exterior front V-light. A most worthy upgrade!

A huge thank you to jlspence99 for their post (Dimmer Switch Installation on Cabin and Awning Light on 303RLS). https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...871#post238871. Your information (as well as other contributors) were invaluable. God bless you all!

We are posting a few updates on our 2020 Imagine 2600RB mod because the wiring was definitely different than other forum posts and YouTube videos. Perhaps we can assist the next owner with their upgrade.

Also, a major thank you to Marty Robinson for his quick and kind communications regarding the adapters needed for this project.

Supplies needed: Dimmer switches, adapters, electrical plyers (crimping required) and multi-meter (helpful but not required), #2 square head driver bit.

Dimmer Switches: (Amazon $29.95 each) - https://amzn.to/2CYWkc8

Adapters:
    Marty Robinson – email [email protected]. I reached out to Marty via email and he replied with purchasing options. NOTE: 2600RB uses the larger adapters. Purchasing from Marty was extremely easy (completed via PayPal). He will provide all of the instructions.

Installation videos[/B]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPX_S9wx4l8 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l507C35p_G0&t=462s NOTE: These YouTube videos helped to a degree but wiring differences in the 2600RB were not consistent with the videos.

Note: Making these upgrades would be much easier with an electrical schematic but to the dismay of many GD owners, we could not locate one. Thankfully, my husband is VERY handy and was able to troubleshoot the wiring patterns through trial and error.
    Installation videos show how to remove the control panel (very easy).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Command Center Pic.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	29187

2600RB wiring (Ceiling Light Switch) Brown, Red split and White (3) incoming trailer wires to this plug (before installing dimmer switch). NOTE: the WHITE wires strictly bring power to the switches to illuminate the panel switch lighting for the interior ceiling/awning panel switches. Wish we had known this months ago…those lights are literal beacons and annoying for light sensitive folks come bedtime.

After installing adapters, connect the trailer dual BROWN wire to Dimmer Black and trailer dual RED wire to Dimmer Red and White.

Post installation photos:

Name:	Pic2.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	29196

Awning Light Switch: Trailer BLUE wire to Dimmer Black and trailer RED (single) to Dimmer Red and White.

Name:	Pic3_revised.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	29189

NOTE the split WHITE wires previously connected to the interior ceiling light switch will not be reconnected to the Dimmer Switch.

Finished product! No more glaring BLUE panel lights at night and wonderful dimming lighting inside and out.

Name:	Pic4.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	29197

Bedroom: Trailer BROWN wire to Dimmer Black and trailer dual YELLOW wire to Dimmer Red and White.

Name:	Pic5.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	29198

Note: The front trailer (V-Lights) located in the pass through compartment was wired the same as the bedroom switch.

COST: Total cost of upgrade (4 switches and adapters): $171.08. Worth every penny! For us, the overhead lighting was just too bright when we got ready to settle in for the evening or early mornings (watching TV, lounging, etc.). And as other owners have noted, the awning and front V-lights are extremely bright for neighbors in adjacent campsites.

(Amazon Dimmer Switches (4 @ $29.95 + tax = $129.08) and Marty Robinson adapters ($42.00). Prices will vary by project.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 09-02-2020 at 09:39 AM. Reason: orient photos for OP

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice mod. Nice write-up. Your post was a bit delayed getting released.... new members who post links and photos go to a holding bin until one of us moderators release it. No big deal. Just wanted you to know. As you post more-and-more they will get posted immediately. Keep the good info coming.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Larry...thanks for the message. One quick question...is there a way to edit this post to flip the photos for correct orientation? OR is the a way to identify the photo orientation when posting? Appreciate your help and kind words.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I oriented them. Hopefully I got them right.

After some number of hours you can't edit you post, no one can except moderators and admins. So if your ever need some help just "report" the post, enter a comment about what you need, and us mods & admins will get a notice. You can "report" posts by selecting the triangle with the exclamation point in it.

The thing with this forum is it tends to orient photos to their original orientation; especially if take with a cell phone. I downloaded your photos, reoriented them and re-posted. That works for me. For others, I am not too sure. I am an Apple user so iPhone photos always have to shot in the proper orientation if I expect to upload them directly. Otherwise I have to load them into Apple's Preview app, reorient, save and then post.

Whew..... too much work sometimes.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VERY kind of you Larry and thanks for the technical information!!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any issues with dimming these lights? Are they dimable?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello CDeschamps...

Apologies for the late reply. The ONLY draw back (and it's very minor) about the dimmer switches and lights has to do with slight flickering of the lights especially when using DC power. We recently boondocked and used DC and/or generator power for a week and noticed when we ran water or say brought in/out the awning or the slid out the lights would flicker. At times, it will do this on AC power but not often. The lights are totally dimable and we still say this is our favorite upgrade yet.

Sld

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries and thanks. Camping season is over so maybe a winter project.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really awesome write up. I have a 2600rb and will do these mods soon following your post.

Thank you for taking the time to do this post.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering, has anyone done this mod on a 337RLS? There are two awnings with separate light strips that are fed from one switch in the command center. Does anyone know if the lights are wired with one set of wires going to each light from the switch or does just one set of wires leave the switch and daisy chain from one LED strip to the other?
    I would like to split these lights putting each on their own separate switch and dimmer if possible. Thanks.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 09-22-2020 at 05:01 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast