User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was disturbing

I returned home from a long stay near Brunswick Ga. yesterday. I was in no hurry to get home so I took the long way up the NC Outer Banks through Norfolk and up the Eastern Shore. It was worth it, the weather was awesome!
    I stayed my first night at a county campground outside Florence, SC. I've stayed there 4 times previous and was pleasantly surprised I was the ONLY occupant of the campground. This time I had company, no one was obtrusive and all was quiet. There were however frequent patrols through the campground that hadn't happened before. I asked one of the park rangers why and he sadly told me there had been a recent rash of thefts in the park and campground since I was there last. Visits to the park and campground had picked up somewhat but there seemed to be no explanation for the trouble.
    A few days later I stayed at a State Park up the coast and was surprised to see a flyer in the packet I was given reminding campers not to leave things out and to lock up before leaving the site. Again I have stayed at this park before but never saw that flyer.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-06-2021 at 02:45 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I returned home from a long stay near Brunswick Ga. yesterday. I was in no hurry to get home so I took the long way up the NC Outer Banks through Norfolk and up the Eastern Shore. It was worth it, the weather was awesome!
    I stayed my first night at a county campground outside Florence, SC. I've stayed there 4 times previous and was pleasantly surprised I was the ONLY occupant of the campground. This time I had company, no one was obtrusive and all was quiet. There were however frequent patrols through the campground that hadn't happened before. I asked one of the park rangers why and he sadly told me there had been a recent rash of thefts in the park and campground since I was there last. Visits to the park and campground had picked up somewhat but there seemed to be no explanation for the trouble.
    A few days later I stayed at a State Park up the coast and was surprised to see a flyer in the packet I was given reminding campers not to leave things out and to lock up before leaving the site. Again I have stayed at this park before but never saw that flyer.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Glad you had no incidents:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MD State Parks are doing the same for the same reason. This past weekend the ranger patrolled more in one night than we have ever seen before in a full trip (we stay 7 to 10 days same time of year, every year). So we had to ask why.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stealing camper's things is LOW.

Shame on them. I don't pity them, if a camper catches them. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since everyone is ‘camping’ now, you get everyone at the campgrounds. Sad to hear, and hope it turns around in a couple years.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate thieves. Over the years we have been pretty fortunate to have suffered only minor theft. But volunteering as a campground host you get to hear the scuttle but from the LEO rangers. Theft happens. Often one of our duties is to help with "compliance", paying for camp sites. Believe it or not persons of poor means will try to sneak into campgrounds, spend the night, and leave before the rangers do their rounds in the morning. At most state parks it's tolerated pretty well as long as they don't interfere with reserved sites. Some places it's a real problem and you get patrols.

I worked at McKinney Falls State Park in Austin, TX. My duty was "Night Host". 6-10 drive around and mark down "walk in" campers, then lock the gate at 10 and make sure the day use parking lots were empty. Leave the report for the morning ranger. I got to meet a lot of people that were on the edge, living out of their car, hoping for a decent enough job to be able to get a roof over their head, hoping nothing breaks down on the car. But they weren't thieves.

I am thinking this year is going to be a little worse than past years. The shutdown had to have had some impact on folks and I think subsidies may be running out. It's going to be an interesting summer for sure.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I worked at McKinney Falls State Park in Austin, TX. My duty was "Night Host". 6-10 drive around and mark down "walk in" campers, then lock the gate at 10 and make sure the day use parking lots were empty. Leave the report for the morning ranger.
    I spent 10 days at McKinney Falls about 18 months ago, visiting my Daughter who lives right next to the park. I never saw anything questionable or any 'iffy' people. Pleasant and well kept park plus very quiet.
    That means all of you were doing a good job,... Thanks. (My member photo is our rig at McKinney Falls).

I did not go to all areas of the park, so perhaps ignorance is bliss. One of the reasons I chose that park was the note that the gate is closed at 10pm. If my memory is correct, there was a gate code if you came in late.
    Planning another stop there this fall.
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.