Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front jack mount failure solitude s-class

The other day I was leveling my 2021 Solitude 2930RL S Class and all of a sudden it made a loud crash sound and went down on the left front side. The lower mount came loose and the you could see it broke at the weld. It looked like it was tack welded and maybe the tech forgot to come back and weld it. I tried to raise it but no luck. It would not raise up to put back on the truck. I was lucky and found a mobile tech to come out and he was able to remove the jack and able to weld the mount back on. I checked the other side and the weld is pretty light on that side also. I will probably have to weld it up also. Not sure where their quality control was on that job. Its kind of amazing that those jacks are mounted the way they are. Does not seem like a good idea, kind of light mounts for all of the weight. Anybody else have this problem? If you have electric jacks you might want to check all of your jack mounts.

Jim Bonhote, 2021 Solitude 2930RL S-Class, 2015 Ford F350 Platinum Crew Cab.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim - Good to hear you got a mobile tech to get it fixed. Over all the years, there have a been only a couple posts of front jack mounting area failures similar to yours. Certainly very rare but disturbing none-the-less.

You may want to consider contacting GDRV to let them know about this and to establish a case on it. Any expenses s/b reimbursed under warranty as well. Hopefully you took some pictures of the failure point(s) and the fix to share with with GDRV and the group here as well.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Dan, I did contact Grand Design and left message and email because their office was closed on Friday. I will probably get a call or email today. Thanks for the advice.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, understand this is a Lippert issue. The frames are delivered complete to GD. Do keep all receipts because you will be reimbursed. I can tell you now after working on many campers, the crews Lippert hires have genuinely erratic results. Some of the welds I've observed are boggling. Poor penetration, porosity, undercutting... So, that's one aspect. The other is that the mounting is intended to fail before frame damage results. You'd be surprised how many RVers while manually attempting to level put way too much eccentric load on one jack or the other.
    Last edited by geotex1; 05-10-2021 at 06:37 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
    The other day I was leveling my 2021 Solitude 2930RL S Class and all of a sudden it made a loud crash sound and went down on the left front side. The lower mount came loose and the you could see it broke at the weld. It looked like it was tack welded and maybe the tech forgot to come back and weld it. I tried to raise it but no luck. It would not raise up to put back on the truck. I was lucky and found a mobile tech to come out and he was able to remove the jack and able to weld the mount back on. I checked the other side and the weld is pretty light on that side also. I will probably have to weld it up also. Not sure where their quality control was on that job. Its kind of amazing that those jacks are mounted the way they are. Does not seem like a good idea, kind of light mounts for all of the weight. Anybody else have this problem? If you have electric jacks you might want to check all of your jack mounts.

Jim Bonhote, 2021 Solitude 2930RL S-Class, 2015 Ford F350 Platinum Crew Cab.
    Glad you got it fixed, I went out and checked ours, both landing gear. The brackets seemed to be welded to the frame with a good long bead. Sounds like somebody at Lippert didn't finish their job, sympathize with your troubles but glad you got it fixed. Those jacks look like it could be quite a job to R&R them.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now I'm going to have to check mine..... I would think that your failure is more aberration than anything else, but while welding isn't that complicated, forgetting to finish something like that isn't that unusual. One interruption and there ya have it.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser