User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNerd View Post
    I just picked up a S class with the factory solar and have been in touch with BB about upgrading to the lithium batteries so that will happen shortly. Can I ask what is the proper docking procedure when running the residential with the solar. Our PDI tech was unhelpful with the solar so I am curios what order you start shutting things off and on when you are leaving a site and when you go back to hook up to shore power. I don't want to do any harm to the system if both systems (shore and solar) can't be powered at the same time so I'd just like to know the proper procedure to get the inverter running for the travel days. I see there is a disconnect on the ceiling in the front compartment and perhaps an inverter power button on the wall in the basement.

Thanks!
    We leave our inverter on all the time - there's an automatic transfer switch that handles things. That way, if there's a power failure while we're away from the rig, the inverter keeps the fridge running.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    You just turn the inverter on when you're ready to unhook shore power. Or, just leave the inverter on all the time. The factory solar system has a transfer switch that will use shore power if available. If not, it uses the inverter and batteries.

Same goes for the solar charge controller. You can either turn it on when you're ready to unhook on travel days or just leave it on all the time.
    Thank you, all makes sense. As I sit right now, the dealer only gave me one battery thus waiting on the BB's to get here. Does turning the solar charge controller off cut power to the batteries from the solar? I guess what I am asking is if in theory the solar is making some power all the time, where is it going if the charge controller is off? When I have to switch out and hook up the BB's I'm just looking for the proper way to de-energize the system to allow a person to work on it.
    2021 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Cummins
    2021 Solitude 3550BH-R w/factory solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenwver you do work on the solar circuit you should disconnect the solar feed to the controller and then the battery feed. Reconnecting, battery first then solar. It's required for the controller to correctly calibrate and power cycle.

Tape over the bare wires if you have a screw terminal connection and/or don't have nylon connectors on the solar panel to controller wiring run, as they'll still be putting out 12-48V depending on your configuration. Nylon disconnects are a cheap investment. A disconnect switch is a bit more expensive and overkill in my experience since it's rare to need a full disconnect.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Thanks for the input.
    Best Regards,

Ziggy

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNerd View Post
    I just picked up a S class with the factory solar and have been in touch with BB about upgrading to the lithium batteries so that will happen shortly. Can I ask what is the proper docking procedure when running the residential with the solar. Our PDI tech was unhelpful with the solar so I am curios what order you start shutting things off and on when you are leaving a site and when you go back to hook up to shore power. I don't want to do any harm to the system if both systems (shore and solar) can't be powered at the same time so I'd just like to know the proper procedure to get the inverter running for the travel days. I see there is a disconnect on the ceiling in the front compartment and perhaps an inverter power button on the wall in the basement.

Thanks!
    There's no particular "docking procedure," per se. We leave the solar controller and inverter on all the time. That way, if shore power goes out while connected (which it did several times yesterday at the Army FamCamp where we are currently staying), the batteries, solar, and inverter keep the fridge running. The ATS (automatic transfer switch) handles everything for you.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update. I found someone who will install the panels and controller and inverter for me, but I might have to wait until October to have it done. But I appreciate the update.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There's no particular "docking procedure," per se. We leave the solar controller and inverter on all the time. That way, if shore power goes out while connected (which it did several times yesterday at the Army FamCamp where we are currently staying), the batteries, solar, and inverter keep the fridge running. The ATS (automatic transfer switch) handles everything for you.

Rob
    I have a separate question but may be useful to those already asking about solar.
    I have TWO jaboni 390W panels, Jaboni 30amp controller and 4 Lion Energy u-1300 (110 amp hour) ion batteries.
    1 panel, controller and wiring were done factory
    other panel and 4 li-on batteries installed by dealer.

I have a dual source (elec and propane) 18 cu fridge.

Assuming sunny days, and generator running so AC can be turned on.

What is a reasonable expectation of battery life overnight with no generator running?

problem - I had disconnected my propane to go fill both tanks. Fridge running on AC only, two laptops plugged in. water pump but nobody home. This was at 2:00 sunny day. Came back by 10:30 pm and batteries were almost completely dead, luckily go generator running to charge the batteries. Seems like a problem...

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nfurich View Post
    I have a separate question but may be useful to those already asking about solar.
    I have TWO jaboni 390W panels, Jaboni 30amp controller and 4 Lion Energy u-1300 (110 amp hour) ion batteries.

What is a reasonable expectation of battery life overnight with no generator running?

problem - I had disconnected my propane to go fill both tanks. Fridge running on AC only, two laptops plugged in. water pump but nobody home. This was at 2:00 sunny day. Came back by 10:30 pm and batteries were almost completely dead, luckily go generator running to charge the batteries. Seems like a problem...
    So, only one solar charge controller? If so, based upon other threads regarding expanding the factory solar panels, that charge controller can only handle a max of 540 watts (per documentation) or real world, more like 500 watts. Perhaps you're not getting full battery charging from the solar. Unclear how you were running on AC for the fridge unless the AC leg is wired to the inverter. Do you have a battery monitor? Are you able to track your solar charge status using the solar app?
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To my knowledge, Jabonis largest panels are only 300 watts.

And you cannot run two of them with that controller
    Last edited by huntindog; 07-28-2021 at 01:28 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The frig running on AC will suck down the batteries. We always switch to propane when not connected to shore power. The solar usually keeps the batteries charged if not parked under trees! I usually see about a .2 volt drop from dusk to dawn without running the furnace at night, (that will draw down the batts at night if run constantly).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12