Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar package question

I am in the process of taking possession of a new 2021 Solitude 373FB-R. When we did our first walk through there were problems so the dealer is taking care of those as we speak. However I am confused about the Solar Package I ordered. I saw the solar panel on the roof and the dealer pointed out the inverter, however the control panel appears to be in the basement. I could not get a clear reading on the panel and I am confused how I would change this to a lithium battery that I want to install. First question is: Is the panel in the basement as I am seeing? I would think it would have been installed in the living area so it would be easier to monitor. Second Question: Is there some kind of owners manual that will tell me how to operate the panel to change over to lithium in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the same solar charge controller that we got with our factory 300w solar system (Jaboni), here is a link to the owner's manual that shows how to use the controller (and change the battery type):

https://www.jabonipowerproducts.com/...nual_Final.pdf

The remote display for our system was installed on the rear basement wall.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on what Brian said. Our controller display was installed on the rear basement wall and was easy to change to lithium (we have two BB LiFePO4 batteries). Follow each step in the instructions in the manual, though. If you don't do it exactly, the settings won't be saved. Ask me how I know...

Rob

PS on the solar system and two BB batteries: yesterday was a very long travel day for us (about 7 hours). We had about three hours of sun in the morning, but then it clouded over and rained for the last four hours. When we arrived at our destination, we set up in a drizzle (still heavy overcast). I unhitched, leveled, and put out the slides before connecting to shore power. Before plugging in, I glanced at the controller. The batteries were still at 13.6 volts and the solar panel was putting out 40 watts! I though that was pretty amazing for 5:00PM with a heavy overcast. Of course, the residential fridge was still at 38 deg. and the freezer was -2.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 05-08-2021 at 06:11 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Ditto on what Brian said. Our controller display was installed on the rear basement wall and was easy to change to lithium (we have two BB LiFePO4 batteries). Follow each step in the instructions in the manual, though. If you don't do it exactly, the settings won't be saved. Ask me how I know...

Rob

PS on the solar system and two BB batteries: yesterday was a very long travel day for us (about 7 hours). We had about three hours of sun in the morning, but then it clouded over and rained for the last four hours. When we arrived at our destination, we set up in a drizzle (still heavy overcast). I unhitched, leveled, and put out the slides before connecting to shore power. Before plugging in, I glanced at the controller. The batteries were still at 13.6 volts and the solar panel was putting out 40 watts! I though that was pretty amazing for 5:00PM with a heavy overcast. Of course, the residential fridge was still at 38 deg. and the freezer was -2.

Rob
    I just picked up a S class with the factory solar and have been in touch with BB about upgrading to the lithium batteries so that will happen shortly. Can I ask what is the proper docking procedure when running the residential with the solar. Our PDI tech was unhelpful with the solar so I am curios what order you start shutting things off and on when you are leaving a site and when you go back to hook up to shore power. I don't want to do any harm to the system if both systems (shore and solar) can't be powered at the same time so I'd just like to know the proper procedure to get the inverter running for the travel days. I see there is a disconnect on the ceiling in the front compartment and perhaps an inverter power button on the wall in the basement.

Thanks!
    2021 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Cummins
    2021 Solitude 3550BH-R w/factory solar

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNerd View Post
    Can I ask what is the proper docking procedure when running the residential with the solar.
    You just turn the inverter on when you're ready to unhook shore power. Or, just leave the inverter on all the time. The factory solar system has a transfer switch that will use shore power if available. If not, it uses the inverter and batteries.

Same goes for the solar charge controller. You can either turn it on when you're ready to unhook on travel days or just leave it on all the time.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    You just turn the inverter on when you're ready to unhook shore power. Or, just leave the inverter on all the time. The factory solar system has a transfer switch that will use shore power if available. If not, it uses the inverter and batteries.

Same goes for the solar charge controller. You can either turn it on when you're ready to unhook on travel days or just leave it on all the time.
    Thank you, all makes sense. As I sit right now, the dealer only gave me one battery thus waiting on the BB's to get here. Does turning the solar charge controller off cut power to the batteries from the solar? I guess what I am asking is if in theory the solar is making some power all the time, where is it going if the charge controller is off? When I have to switch out and hook up the BB's I'm just looking for the proper way to de-energize the system to allow a person to work on it.
    2021 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Cummins
    2021 Solitude 3550BH-R w/factory solar

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up a S class with the factory solar and have been in touch with BB about upgrading to the lithium batteries so that will happen shortly. Can I ask what is the proper docking procedure when running the residential with the solar. Our PDI tech was unhelpful with the solar so I am curios what order you start shutting things off and on when you are leaving a site and when you go back to hook up to shore power. I don't want to do any harm to the system if both systems (shore and solar) can't be powered at the same time so I'd just like to know the proper procedure to get the inverter running for the travel days. I see there is a disconnect on the ceiling in the front compartment and perhaps an inverter power button on the wall in the basement.

Thanks!
    We leave our inverter on all the time - there's an automatic transfer switch that handles things. That way, if there's a power failure while we're away from the rig, the inverter keeps the fridge running.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    There's no particular "docking procedure," per se. We leave the solar controller and inverter on all the time. That way, if shore power goes out while connected (which it did several times yesterday at the Army FamCamp where we are currently staying), the batteries, solar, and inverter keep the fridge running. The ATS (automatic transfer switch) handles everything for you.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update. I found someone who will install the panels and controller and inverter for me, but I might have to wait until October to have it done. But I appreciate the update.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There's no particular "docking procedure," per se. We leave the solar controller and inverter on all the time. That way, if shore power goes out while connected (which it did several times yesterday at the Army FamCamp where we are currently staying), the batteries, solar, and inverter keep the fridge running. The ATS (automatic transfer switch) handles everything for you.

Rob
    I have a separate question but may be useful to those already asking about solar.
    I have TWO jaboni 390W panels, Jaboni 30amp controller and 4 Lion Energy u-1300 (110 amp hour) ion batteries.
    1 panel, controller and wiring were done factory
    other panel and 4 li-on batteries installed by dealer.

I have a dual source (elec and propane) 18 cu fridge.

Assuming sunny days, and generator running so AC can be turned on.

What is a reasonable expectation of battery life overnight with no generator running?

problem - I had disconnected my propane to go fill both tanks. Fridge running on AC only, two laptops plugged in. water pump but nobody home. This was at 2:00 sunny day. Came back by 10:30 pm and batteries were almost completely dead, luckily go generator running to charge the batteries. Seems like a problem...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast