User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    It sounds like you have one. Do you have any details? I've never heard of this.
    https://www.technorv.com/gasstop-pro...-style-gsusa2/
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what its worth, When we traveled from Western NY to Titusville, FL two winters ago, we traveled with the propane off. We only traveled 5-6 hours each travel day so the first night was in Sutton, WV, then we were in Greensboro NC for several days and then Savannah, GA for a night before reaching Titusville, FL. We turned the propane on at each stop to cool down the refrigerator again. We didn't have any problems with those length travel days so RV Gas/Electric Refrigerators will stay cold for at least that long provided you don't open the door.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    All(?) modern trailer do have this. If the plastic nut that connects the LP line to the tank is green in color, it has a "high flow shut off". This is a safety feature that it intended to shut off the flow of propane in the case of a sudden increase in flow (like a broken line). The down side is the safe shut off can be unintentionally tripped (shut off) if there is no pressure in the line and you open the valve to fast. To reset, turn off the tank valve. Wait a minute and SLOWLY turn the tank valve on. As soon as you here gas flow, stop opening the valve until the gas flow stops, then open the valve all the way (and back off 1/4~1/2 turn from full open).
    Chris
    My understanding is that the excess flow valve only cuts the propane flow by 80%. The GasStop is supposed to cut flow 100%.
    Here is Eric at TechnoRv explaining the difference: https://youtu.be/_g38JponlN4
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not meaning to nit pick, but there are many articles that state that the excess flow valve that is built into the ACME fitting restricts the flow of propane by 90 to 95% instead of the 80% that Eric states in the video. With that being said, I agree that 100% is better.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    My understanding is that the excess flow valve only cuts the propane flow by 80%. The GasStop is supposed to cut flow 100%.
    Here is Eric at TechnoRv explaining the difference: https://youtu.be/_g38JponlN4
    I was not aware of that. I learn something every day. Can you cite a CRS or law for the allowable post trip bypass flow? I could not find any information on requirements. I did find for residential and commercial applications the manufactures specify around 2% bypass after trip, which now that I want to provide a link - I can not find again. I could not find any specifications for excess flow valve for portable propane bottles, so I do not know if the above applies.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling with the refrigerator on

Quote Originally Posted by anderstd3 View Post
    I have a general question concerning using the refrigerator when traveling.
    Is it ok to run the refrigerator on propane to keep it cool while in transit?
    Just wondering what the correct way to keep things cold while traveling as far as safety

Thanks for any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We never travel with the refrigerator on. We just shut it off and it stays cold every time we travel. We have left it off for up to 7 hours and nothing has ever got warm or melted. It is so much safer without the propane on.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling with the refrigerator on

Just wondering what the correct way to keep things cold while traveling as far as safety

Thanks for any input

We never travel with the refrigerator on. We just shut it off and it stays cold every time we travel. We have left it off for up to 7 hours and nothing has ever got warm or melted. It is so much safer without the propane on.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never off

Thanks for any input

Propane off only at manned tunnels otherwise it’s on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had five rv's with propane fridge over the years and always traveled with propane on. Only turned off for tunnels or refueling. Never had a problem. My last Jayco and my current Momentum have residential fridge and I hope I never have to go back to propane. We only camp with full hookups so it works for us. I did have one that did not switch over to gas onetime and after six hrs. it was in the sixties in the fridge and the freezer food was getting soft. Outside temps. were in the nineties so that didn't help. If you travel without running fridge get a wireless thermometer so you can keep a eye on it while traveling. It may get warmer than you think.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For our 2019 Imagine 2970RL 34' Travel Trailer with a typical relatively small Dometic fridge:
    - We use battery-powered wireless temp sensors in freezer and fridge, with remote readout: Readout is always on!
    - The temperature comments in the PDF mentioned matches exactly our experience in temperature change inside fridge when power is off [PDF link is in https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ent-(Norcold)]

And
    - When traveling, propane is always on except when going through tunnels (or some other location) that require it off
    - We cool down fridge with electricity at least 12 hours before we get on the road. Trying to cool it down from scratch using propane has not worked for us at all.
    - Before starting out after not using it for days, make sure the fridge is actually running on propane. Clear out air from the propane line by lighting the propane stove, then shut off stove after it lights. Otherwise the fridge just "clicks" trying to light propane that has not reached the fridge yet.

Love the idea of an inverter to power the fridge -- we need to look into that!

Things may be different for "house-sized" refrigerators.

YMMV,
    JerseyHiker
    2019 Imagine 2970RL 34' Travel Trailer, pulled by 2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Diesel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast