User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it is a personal preference. I will share an example of a horrific experience with leaving propane on and how this affected our decision not to travel with propane on. My friend had his mom,dad,wife,daughter in their motor home traveling with the propane on. They heard something and stopped on side of road to check it out. My friend and his dad and wife exited the motor home leaving his mother and baby daughter inside. After a few minutes the motor home exploded. The fire was very intense and they were unable to get his mother and daughter out. They both died in this horrific incident. I will never, ever travel with propane on. The fire originated from a leak in the propane.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Now, I say "used to" because my husband installed an inverter to run the fridge while traveling. I love it. The fridge cools much faster (and that's important on that first day out) using the inverter and not propane.
    I'm interested in how he did the inverter setup - possible to get some pics or details?
    Mark and Judy
    USN/USAF family (parents and kids)
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anderstd3 View Post
    I have a general question concerning using the refrigerator when traveling.
    Is it ok to run the refrigerator on propane to keep it cool while in transit?
    Just wondering what the correct way to keep things cold while traveling as far as safety

Thanks for any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My father always ran with the propane on and I am 66 and have always ran with the propane on. Just for an added level of safety I put a gas leak auto stop on each tank. You can find out all about them at TechnoRv.
    Thomas & Makiko
    2021 GD2500RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished a 2,000 mile trip and we kept the fridge on “auto” so that when we disconnected the power we automatically switched over to propane. We run our water heater on electricity, and the recovery time is so quick there is no need to run it on propane.
    Rick & Joey
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    2018 Ford F-150 3.5 Twin Turbo Eco Boost
    ProPride 3P WDH 1400 pound spring bars

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always travel with the propane on to keep the fridge running. We have never had a problem!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been leaving the propane refrigerator on in our last 4 RV's covering almost 40 years. I did, however, make sure that the RV was as far away from the pump as the hose would reach....
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great question. In my last trailer I traveled with the fridge on. With my Grand Design imaging xls 17mke, I learned that I cannot leave the fridge on during driving. The fridge it against the back wall and when you drive with the fridge on, the thermal coupler will fail and the fridge quits working. This happened the first 2 trips out leaving me with no refrigerator for the entire trip. I learned this is a known issue by grand design.

I will be installing an inverter so I can run the fridge without running propane and for when dry camping

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you use the search function, there are many threads on this topic. The "official" answer is that propane should be off while traveling. In practicality, most of us leave the propane on and the fridge running while underway. If you have a gasoline powered tow vehicle (as opposed to diesel), make sure you turn off the fridge and any other flames (water heater) before refueling.

It's helpful for others to know what RV (and often what tow vehicle) you have when answering your questions. You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Happy camping!

Rob
    Rob, I'm still groping with who "officially" is, not disrespect intended. Until DOT, Federal or State regulations prohibiting propane tanks to be closed while traveling, I think it falls into "someone" opinion. That said, this is the guidance I've followed:

" First off, why would you want to keep the propane on while traveling? When not plugged into power, RV refrigerators run on propane, and keeping it on while you travel keeps your food cold. The answer to whether you can run the propane fridge while driving down the road is yes, it’s possible to do so.

The question of whether you SHOULD is a personal choice. You are increasing the risk of fire by running your fridge on propane while driving, but there is no way to calculate that risk. If you choose to drive with the propane on while driving, know that you are accepting that risk. Note: Some bridges, tunnels, and ferries require your propane to be off, and it is required by law to have your propane off while filling at a gas station. https://camperreport.com/can-i-tow-a...ridge-running/ "
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always travel with the gas off. I have temperature gages in the freezer and frig at all times. I typically have no issues staying in the safe zones.
    I just read the refrigerator study. As a mechanical engineer who has worked in heat transfer, there a few practices you can do to improve on the study results.

1) Cool the interior of the rig before you start your trip
    2) The more cold stuff in the frig/freezer and less air will yield better results
    3) I use “Arctic Ice packs” with various freezing points in the frig and freezer. On longer trips I use frozen water also.
    4) l start the frig 2 days before my trip and add as much of the food the day before the trip to insure everything is as cold as possible before the trip.
    5) I fill the freezer with Ice as much as reasonable to minimize free air.

I realize this works best for a single travel day. The longest I have used this method is 4x consecutive travel days of 8 hrs each. Starting early in the morning and purchasing ice to replace the ice that has melted was part of the process. Hope this helps.
    2021 GD Reflection 303rls
    2020 Ford F-350 7.3L Gas
    Mechanical Engineer

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wjpatter View Post
    Rob, I'm still groping with who "officially" is, not disrespect intended. Until DOT, Federal or State regulations prohibiting propane tanks to be closed while traveling, I think it falls into "someone" opinion. That said, this is the guidance I've followed:

" First off, why would you want to keep the propane on while traveling? When not plugged into power, RV refrigerators run on propane, and keeping it on while you travel keeps your food cold. The answer to whether you can run the propane fridge while driving down the road is yes, it’s possible to do so.

The question of whether you SHOULD is a personal choice. You are increasing the risk of fire by running your fridge on propane while driving, but there is no way to calculate that risk. If you choose to drive with the propane on while driving, know that you are accepting that risk. Note: Some bridges, tunnels, and ferries require your propane to be off, and it is required by law to have your propane off while filling at a gas station. https://camperreport.com/can-i-tow-a...ridge-running/ "
    Just a thought on officially... Here's a quote from my 2020 Reflection owners manual:

" Propane Appliances & Equipment
    • Turn OFF all propane appliances and equipment
    (including the tanks) are BEFORE departing on a trip.
    • Understand all propane safety warnings and follow
    manufacturer recommended operating procedures."

Not to say I have not traveled with the fridge on but just noting the manual says no. Most likely manufacturer CYA but for what it's worth.
    Terry, Patty, Sophie (Great Pyrenees) and Tessa (German Shep/Pyr Mix)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS
    2021 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.75' bed /6.7L Diesel/3.55 electronic locking axle

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast