Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Propane Troubleshooting Question

We just spent the last couple of weeks camping in the forests of Northern Arizona. When we started out, one of my propane tanks was about 40% full, and the other was full. The 40% tank was on the side with the main regulator, and the full one was on the side with the red colored regulator.

We were dry camping, and running the refrigerator on propane. Morning temps were in the high 40s, so I'd usually fire up the furnace for a cycle every morning. One morning, the furnace was on, and the refrigerator indicated a fault and started beeping. I had both propane tanks turned on, so when the first tank ran empty, it should have immediately switched to the other tank. I turned off the furnace, reset the refrigerator and turn on the stove. The stove had a nice flame, and appeared to be working correctly. So I turned on the furnace again. The refrigerator started beeping, and the stove burner almost went out.

I went outside, and switched the full tank to the side with the main regulator, and moved the empty tank to the side with the small red regulator. I then repeated turning on the stove, refrigerator and furnace. Everything worked perfectly.

I suspect that either the red regulator or the propane connection pigtail are defective on the passenger side. Is there any way to isolate which one it might be?

Jim

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, there was a thread not long ago about this very thing... it ended up being the pigtail but I'm not sure if he just replaced it and it worked or verified some how that the regulator was good and the pigtail was not. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...lure-curb-side
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could switch locations on the tanks and see if the location where the one ran out works with the full tank. If it does you can then switch the pigtails, side to side and see which location works. But make sure your pigtails have the same connection on the regulator end. Mine don't and my problem was a bad pigtail. Replace the pigtail and all was right with the world.
    Ralph and Sheri Mutchler
    Reflection 303
    Snook, TX

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

In the original configuration, with the full tank on the right side, if you move the selector valve to manually select this right tank, does the propane flow correctly? If so, maybe the problem is auto selecting the full tank when the other one runs out ??

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Norcalrv1
    Jim
    I have similar issues. Not enough propane flow. I filled the "empty" tank and it only took 5.5 gallons so it still had at least 1.5 gallons. Apparently this is very common with the new tanks. I don't believe it. I think it is a bad regulator or maybe the lines. Never had this problem before.
    So I don't get it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

In the original configuration, with the full tank on the right side, if you move the selector valve to manually select this right tank, does the propane flow correctly? If so, maybe the problem is auto selecting the full tank when the other one runs out ??

Rob
    Rob - I didn't list your suggestion in the trouble shooting I did, but I did manually switch the selector valve before moving the tanks. No improvement. As others have mentioned, it looks like the pigtail might be the issue. It's dumping rain outside right now. As soon as it dries up, I'll see what I can figure out. I know on my last FW, both pigtails were plugged up after a couple of years.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Green Acme nut that attaches to the tank has an overflow control valve in it that shuts down and limits the flow of propane should there be a sudden loss of pressure. It doesnt completely shut it off but restricts the flow severely until the leak is stopped and the pressure again builds up in the line resetting the internal control valve. This condition can be caused by opening the tank valve too fast. Sometimes they dont reset and the pigtail and valve need to be replaced. DOT safety requirement

Edit: Opening the Tank valve too quickly on empty lines can trigger the green Acme nut control valve to restrict propane flow. If it doesnt reset by itself, shut the propane tank valve, disconnect the green Acme nut from the tank, make sure the propane appliances are off, reconnect the green Acme nut making sure its fully inserted into the tank and tightened, then S-L-O-W-L-Y open the propane tank valve. Hopefully that will reset the control.
    Last edited by Centurion; 09-04-2015 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Additional Info on resetting
    Susan and Jim
    2015 Reflection 27RL
    2013 Ford F350 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4 SRW
    PullRite Superglide 16K Hitch
    Timbren SES

Norcalrv1
    Thank you Centurion, that green nut just does not screw on like I think it should. I have probably changed 15 or 20 tanks in the year I have had this thing. I.will change both valves this weekend. I'll bet you are right. Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please let us know if this solution works. Thanks!
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Centurion,

please forgive me if I am wrong but isn't that leak prevention mechanism you speak of in the valve of the bottle itself? Or are there two?
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast