User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling with refrigeration

I have a general question concerning using the refrigerator when traveling.
    Is it ok to run the refrigerator on propane to keep it cool while in transit?
    Just wondering what the correct way to keep things cold while traveling as far as safety

Thanks for any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anderstd3 View Post
    Just wondering what the correct way to keep things cold while traveling as far as safety

Thanks for any input

As far as "safety", that, I think, depends mostly on your comfort level. I've towed camper trailers for over 30 years, the ones with propane fueled refers I have always run on propane while moving.

Some will advise against it, others will say it's no problem. The biggest "issue" that I know of is if you get into an accident, the propane is on and running, which, if the line is severed or punctured, might be a source of fire.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the search function, there are many threads on this topic. The "official" answer is that propane should be off while traveling. In practicality, most of us leave the propane on and the fridge running while underway. If you have a gasoline powered tow vehicle (as opposed to diesel), make sure you turn off the fridge and any other flames (water heater) before refueling.

It's helpful for others to know what RV (and often what tow vehicle) you have when answering your questions. You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Happy camping!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very good question/concern. One as Rob mentioned has been discussed many times. Officially, you're not supposed to, unofficially most, not all, of us do. If you do, there's a risk of having an open flame at the gas station while fueling (so turn it off while you do) and then there would be flowing lp if ever the line is clipped like in an accident for instance. You'd need to turn it off quickly if you can. On the other hand, if you don't, you risk of spoiling your food and risk food poisoning. Some that don't run with the refer on will put frozen water bottles in the refer while traveling to keep the temp (or try) within safe zones. The problem with rv refer is they take a long time to cool down. Last year, one of our members ran test with temp probes and documented the time it takes to cool down and warm up. It was shocking. It confirmed my choice of traveling with it on. His documentation is on this forum and you should be able to find it using the search button.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    This is a very good question/concern. One as Rob mentioned has been discussed many times. Officially, you're not supposed to, unofficially most, not all, of us do. If you do, there's a risk of having an open flame at the gas station while fueling (so turn it off while you do) and then there would be flowing lp if ever the line is clipped like in an accident for instance. You'd need to turn it off quickly if you can. On the other hand, if you don't, you risk of spoiling your food and risk food poisoning. Some that don't run with the refer on will put frozen water bottles in the refer while traveling to keep the temp (or try) within safe zones. The problem with rv refer is they take a long time to cool down. Last year, one of our members ran test with temp probes and documented the time it takes to cool down and warm up. It was shocking. It confirmed my choice of traveling with it on. His documentation is on this forum and you should be able to find it using the search button.
    How about adding a Gas Stop automatic shut off? It will stop the propane flow in the event of a leak. Granted, doesn’t do anything when refueling or traveling thru tunnels, but for us it provided a little extra peace of mind when we traveled with propane on to run the fridge.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    How about adding a Gas Stop automatic shut off? It will stop the propane flow in the event of a leak. Granted, doesn’t do anything when refueling or traveling thru tunnels, but for us it provided a little extra peace of mind when we traveled with propane on to run the fridge.
    Wouldn't it be great if they had this built in the regulator or right after.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for any input

Like others here, we used to travel with the propane running while traveling. One thing we never thought about was turning it off during refueling. So I guess we got lucky there, having no issues.

Now, I say "used to" because my husband installed an inverter to run the fridge while traveling. I love it. The fridge cools much faster (and that's important on that first day out) using the inverter and not propane.

It's really up to your comfort level whether you do it or not. Here's a link to the refrigerator study done regarding how quickly the temperatures drop in a fridge turned off while traveling: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ment-(Norcold)

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you have one. Do you have any details? I've never heard of this.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks for any input

Done it for many years without issue. Only time I have had to turn it off is for a ferry trip.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All(?) modern trailer do have this. If the plastic nut that connects the LP line to the tank is green in color, it has a "high flow shut off". This is a safety feature that it intended to shut off the flow of propane in the case of a sudden increase in flow (like a broken line). The down side is the safe shut off can be unintentionally tripped (shut off) if there is no pressure in the line and you open the valve to fast. To reset, turn off the tank valve. Wait a minute and SLOWLY turn the tank valve on. As soon as you here gas flow, stop opening the valve until the gas flow stops, then open the valve all the way (and back off 1/4~1/2 turn from full open).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast