Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Jerryr;368455]
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post

Same here. Positive side was easier so that’s where I installed the new cut off switch. It really doesn’t matter which cable you connect to.

When messing with battery cables it’s good practice to remove the negative first and when reinstalling cables I connect the negative last. That way when you have a wrench on the positive cable and accidentally having it touch any part of the vehicle it won’t weld the wrench to the frame.

1carguy,
    Just installed a wire lead from the battery using the battery tender ring connections setup to the positive and negative posts. Then ordered a 3' cable extension off Amazon with battery tender connections. Drilled a hole in the side wall plate just in front of the drivers side front jack and installed the wire with a grommet in place to protect the wires. Then ran wires around propane bottle and wired tied it to the propane hose. With the open area under the propane tanks it made it very easy to connect the battery tender to maintain battery when in storage. Made for a very clean installation. No pulling batteries etc. when unit is in storage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0884.jpg   IMG_0885.jpg   IMG_0886.jpg   IMG_0887.jpg   IMG_0888.jpg  

Last edited by Dutchman2; 05-12-2021 at 07:33 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dutchman2 - that's a great set up, but I don't have power at my storage site to plug in my tender to keep the battery charged when in storage. My only choice will be to add another kill switch at the battery so nothing can draw from the battery.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Dutchman2;369078]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post

1carguy,
    Just installed a wire lead from the battery using the battery tender ring connections setup to the positive and negative posts. Then ordered a 3' cable extension off Amazon with battery tender connections. Drilled a hole in the side wall plate just in front of the drivers side front jack and installed the wire with a grommet in place to protect the wires. Then ran wires around propane bottle and wired tied it to the propane hose. With the open area under the propane tanks it made it very easy to connect the battery tender to maintain battery when in storage. Made for a very clean installation. No pulling batteries etc. when unit is in storage.

Why can’t you use the onboard converter already in your trailer to keep the batteries topped off? 120v AC (which I assume you have) is plenty to run it while in storage, just need to get the proper dogbone adapter.
    Last edited by Bungy; 05-12-2021 at 09:27 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Converter is not the greatest brand or amp battery charger usually plus if you have AGM/ wet cell it will only get to 85% when the batteries acceptance rate drops and won’t except bulk charge.

Especially critical in the tiny group 24/27 the RV dealers give you.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the main battery disconnect to take the majority of the battery draw off the battery. The battery tender does a great job at maintaining full battery condition with the small remaining amp draw. I also use a surge protector as the power at our storage facility is sketchy during storms. I would hate to have a voltage spike damage any of the electronics if connected to shore power and using the onboard converter to maintain the battery.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If u dont have a source of power then your best option is to disconect a battery terminal. My situation is my trailer is stored in my rv garage and is plugged into a wall socket 24/7. My lead acid batteries have never run low on water for the 1.5 years i have used my 1920 22mle. Thats because the newer trailers have better chargers than my old trailer which i had to closely watch the battery water levels. It is surprising how much a battery is drained even when the battery shutoff on my trailer is turned off. Thats why i keep it plugged in with no issues.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use two Trojan 6 volt batteries hooked in series and had to leave my fifth wheel for 10 days due to an emergency. Turned everything off except my domestic gas electric refrigerator and two full propane tanks. Refrigerator and freezer were full of food . Got back and frig was still cold and running

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always used a Quick disconnect on my negative post on all my batteries. Vehicles, boats and RV's. I find them to be the safest bet plus it makes a person check on their batteries once in a while.
    Can find at auto parts store or Amazon if interested.

Negative post battery quick disconnect.

Hope this helps in the future

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Become a full timer, you won't have that problem

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll make a pitch for solar here... my 130W roof mounted panel more than makes up for the parasitic drains. A single panel with a PWM or MPPT charge controller is a fairly cheap investment and you'll never have an unexpectedly dead battery unless it's truly dead from age or being drawn down too far. I figure the cost of not having to replace batteries as often has more than paid for the panel and charger.

There are also solar maintainers you can get which might work in your situation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast