User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mark&Lisa

Another Newby question

I have some very basic questions about the operation of the furnace in our 2014 Momentum 355. During our PDI, the dealer didn't cover this topic...or we missed it. I would really appreciate any help to get the heat on.

How does the system operate and what is the proper sequence of events to follow to turn it on? I found some manuals on a Suburban furnace in the vast paperwork that came with the Momentum so I assume we have one installed.

Does our unit run on 12-volt DC power supplied by the battery or the converter? Or, does it operate on 120volt AC? Or, is it designed to run off the propane?

What am I looking for on the Dometic Thermostat? I think I read the furnace in the Momentum operates in Zone 1, but I don't know for sure.

What steps do I follow to get heat on in my Momentum?

Thank you anyone for some help.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mark&Lisa,

Our Reflection has an Atwood furnace, but I think the "basics" are generic to other systems.
    The furnace control circuits and the fan that moves the air, run on 12V. The source of heat is propane.
    Thus, you can run on battery power and propane for a while. But, you need the 120V (shore power) battery charger (converter) to keep the battery charged to supply the furnace control circuits and the fan.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mark&Lisa
    Ok. That makes sense. Thank you Rob. So step 1 is to turn on the Propane. Is that one bottle or two or does it matter? Then, the furnace is controlled in Zone 1 on the Thermostat? It would just be a matter of setting the desired temp high enough to get the furnace to come on? It sounds like it's on fully automatic if everything is working properly. Is there anything else to do to get heat?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We run one propane tank at a time. When one runs out, we manually switch to the other and take the first for refill.
    Different "zones" is beyond our Reflection Atwood system. I have seen discussion of this on this forum . . . perhaps someone with experience on this will chime in here.

Your logic is correct. Turn on propane. Turn on thermostat. Set temp to higher than room temp. Fan should come on. Burner should come on.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my RV's have two propane tanks I always turn both of them on and let the automatic switching unit 'change tanks' when one runs empty. That way you are not getting an excess amount of air into the lines, the heater continues to work throughout the night and if you are dry camping the refrigerator keeps working. You can look at the propane switching unit and see which direction the lever is pointing (current tank being used) and color of display window. Green means the tank where the lever is pointed is being used, red means that tank is empty and the other tank has been switched to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my Momentum 385, the furnace is controlled by zone 2 the abbreviation is "furn" on the thermostat. Keep in mind that I have three air conditioners thus 3 zones. I believe whichever zone is the main zone will control the furnace...main living area zone. IIRC there is only one zone that will give you the furnace option.

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 355TH, the furnace is controlled by zone 2. The furnace runs on 12 volts DC and Propane. If the RV is plugged into shore power (AC) then the converter is supplying the power, if unplugged then the battery supplies the power.
    2015 F350 CC 4x4 KR High Capacity Tow Package
    2014 Momentum 355TH #770
    2014 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    In my Momentum 385, the furnace is controlled by zone 2 the abbreviation is "furn" on the thermostat. Keep in mind that I have three air conditioners thus 3 zones. I believe whichever zone is the main zone will control the furnace...main living area zone. IIRC there is only one zone that will give you the furnace option.

Big Mike
    Sorry for the quick off topic.

Big Mike, what kind of heat have you been in with the 3 units, and how well did it hold up? I now return you to the regularly scheduled program.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gestern1 View Post
    When my RV's have two propane tanks I always turn both of them on and let the automatic switching unit 'change tanks' when one runs empty. That way you are not getting an excess amount of air into the lines, the heater continues to work throughout the night and if you are dry camping the refrigerator keeps working. You can look at the propane switching unit and see which direction the lever is pointing (current tank being used) and color of display window. Green means the tank where the lever is pointed is being used, red means that tank is empty and the other tank has been switched to.
    Nobody ever told me about the auto switching capability !
    At delivery, I was told that this was a manual switching valve.
    Learned something today . . . thanks gestern1 .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Nobody ever told me about the auto switching capability !
    At delivery, I was told that this was a manual switching valve.
    Learned something today . . . thanks gestern1 .

Rob
    Same here. My old Jayco automatically changed over but the valve looked different, so during my PDI I asked and was told it was manual, not automatic. Thanks for the information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast