User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lippert Inwall Slide Module Smoke/Short

All,

Need to pick some brains before taking our FW into the dealer tomorrow.

We were doing preseason checks and cleaning yesterday when our living room slide would not retract. We could repeatedly get it to come in and then out 5-6 inches. I did notice the right side of the slide as you face it from inside would retract first and then the left.

I went through the manual/YouTube videos for troubleshooting the schwintek system. We did the module motor disabling feature (7 pushes and then hold on the 7th) and were able to retract the slide with me helping to push it closed from the outside. The slide felt like it retracted unevenly on either side as it went in.

I went to put the control module back to normal mode when I smelled and saw smoke from the module (Has the number 1 on it in the attached picture with the now black motor 2 connector). My wife still had the button pushed for the slide for the extra 3-4 seconds per what is recommended when I went back to the module. After I noticed this I disconnected shoreline and battery power.

We had the same problem with this slide last year (without the module problem) and the dealership stated it was a tight fitting slide from factory and due to the humidity (Augusta, GA summer) it was catching. We had no issues with it after their fix and we were in some humid and hot places last year.

Questions:

1. I am two months outside of my 1 year warranty. Do you think GD or Lippert should cover this?

2. Should I disconnect all cables leading into the module?

3. Any thoughts/experience on what is going on with this?

Thanks for any input.

Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2110.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	34016
    U.S. Army Retired
    Enjoying Second Career and Camping
    2018 F-350 Lariat SRW Supercrew Diesel 4x4
    2021 Reflection 28BH with theatre seating and second A/C

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call GD and ask
    Attempt the call at just before 8 am central time and I am sure you will get a human

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should have been an error code on the controller when it's in normal mode and is stopping the slide from moving. I think the number of green blinks tells you which motor is giving it grief, and then the number of red blinks is the error. The list of codes is printed on the controller cover, and that should tell you more details on what's happening.

Here's my thoughts on your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by dobber197 View Post
    1. I am two months outside of my 1 year warranty. Do you think GD or Lippert should cover this?
    Since you reported the issue earlier, hopefully they are willing to help you out. It's hard to say though, but all you can do is call them and ask about what is going on.

2. Should I disconnect all cables leading into the module?
    My gut feeling on that is NO, since my understanding is if the motors are unplugged, the travel lock on the motors would not be engaged, potentially allowing the slide to open while driving. If you do need to disconnect them, ensure you have something solid between the slide and interior wall to prevent movement like a travel lock or some 2x4s. Just be careful not to punch a hole in your trailer wall, see if you can determine where the wall structure is.

3. Any thoughts/experience on what is going on with this?
    Smoke coming out of the controller would tell me too much power flow going through it. Perhaps the lagging motor was pulling too much current while in manual mode, causing overheating?
    2019 Imagine 2400bh
    2019 f150 XLT Crew, 6.5' box, 3.55 ratio

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks SteveO for the answers.

I did not see any error code after it happened and there was nothing showing today when put the battery power back on.

I think as long as we do not engage the slide switch no power will go through the burned port. I was going to cut a 2x4 as a slide stop if I disconnected the power.

I guess I will find out what they say in the next couple of days.
    U.S. Army Retired

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the follow up for this if anyone cares to read.

1. It was a faulty controller wire. The dealer replaced the slide out control module wiring harness.

2. GD covered it under warranty.

Glad they covered it and hopefully that slide stays drama free now.
    U.S. Army Retired

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the follow up for this if anyone cares to read.

1. It was a faulty controller wire. The dealer replaced the slide out control module wiring harness.

2. GD covered it under warranty.

Glad they covered it and hopefully that slide stays drama free now.
    Glad you got this resolved.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE