Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GD Owners Attitude

Just a question with no intention to stir the pot
    Has anyone else noticed a difference in attitude with some GD owners? We have had our Imagine about 2 1/2 years, and were almost always greeted with at least a smile from other GD owners in RV parks. I don't know if it is Covid or general attitude but owners simply don't seem as friendly, ever though we are all members of the same brand family. A couple of months ago, we were in Moss Landing California at a KOA. On our row was five Imagines including ours. In the three days all the rigs were lined up, no one ever said hi or even acknowledged us. We have had the similar situation in Greagle California also. We never try to be over friendly, but a nod or hello or good morning to fellow RVers would seem to be in order. If we had a profile, we are a couple with no kids or pets. Our rig & site are always pristine. No loud music or yelling. We just enjoy our rig and where we get to go. We have recently seen some posts from people who have attended rallys (we have never been able to get in) and their comment is that the people are stand offish and clanish.
    I certainly hope that our fellow owners are not taking themselves or their rigs too seriously, Yes, most of us feel we own a fine brand. I just hope my fellow owners don't start getting the snooty attitude our friends who own the aluminum tin cans of wheels have. (We once were in Tucson with a Airstream rally. Talk about snooty! These tin canners actually looked down at the ground instead of acknowledging a non tin can owner

Thanks for reading

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pre-COVID camping subculture was very friendly and generally social, but also a subset of loners. However, since the incredible influx of people into the community from COVID-19, I think we must remember many are from different backgrounds and different life experiences. For instance, it is a rare day indeed for anyone to say hello to a stranger in Philadelphia, but as normal as the sun rising most anywhere in Idaho... Couple that with social distancing, and venturing into new, not-yet-comfortable territory with their families and, I think, more caution is probably the most comfortable thing for them...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GD Owners Attitude

I have no desire or intention of ever striking a conversation with someone because of their choice of RV. I find that silly to be honest

I have started conversation with many about other interests though

Btw I don’t think GD is a better quality than any other brand btw
    I traded a Jayco and would have purchased another if it had the features I wanted

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 05-09-2021 at 06:29 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyBoyNevada View Post
    ...I just hope my fellow owners don't start getting the snooty attitude...
    Snooty attitude for owning a Grand Design RV?????? I could see somebody getting snooty if they owned a $2,000,000 class A but not a Grand Design! I'm on my 3rd Grand Design RV so I like them but I consider them just another towable RV like the other 100 brands on the road.

But to answer your question, I commonly have discussions with other GD owners. Just had one with our Solitude neighbors yesterday. Nice guy with a 390RK. He had a Momentum prior to that. I always like seeing other Grand Design RV's wherever we're parked. Most owners are familiar with each other's floorpans so we have something in common - and something to chat about.

Maybe you're noticing a change because people are fearful about COVID exposure. I know that affects a lot of people and will probably linger for a couple more years.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are always talking to owners of GD and haven't really run into any snotty owners. We winter in FL and have made friends with a few GD owners that come through.

As for the rally, we have been to every IN rally and a few TN rallies (on our way to one tomorrow morning) and have made new friends at each one. Some we even meet up with on the road. With any large group that happens annually there are bound to be a few cliques that form and hope we never become part of anything that others are afraid to approach. If you find us you are always welcome to sit near the fire.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's just a mix of new people and Covid. It will pass.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyBoyNevada View Post
    Just a question with no intention to stir the pot
    Has anyone else noticed a difference in attitude with some GD owners? ...

Thanks for reading
    Can't really say, but it seems that when passing other GD rigs on the road, more of them used to wave.

That being said, there are a lot of "new" people in the RV world (not to mention GD owners world) who don't know how many of us do things, socially-wise.

We've approached random GD owners in RV parks, and not waited for them to seek us out. Often we just do a "Hi, see you have a Reflection, like us" keeping things short. Now, when we took our Yukon/Alaska RV tour, one of parks we were in there was one other GD there, another Reflection (small one, like ours). We managed to meet the husband in that couple quite by accident, as we were returning to the park after getting gas in our truck. He was walking toward the park, about a block away. We stopped to apologize for not being able to give him a lift back to the park (no room in the truck), but he said "oh, I'm just out for a walk, no problem". We asked him which rig was his and SURPRISE it was the other Reflection. We made arrangements to come over to his rig later and talk.

Later on that same trip, we wound up in the same RV park at Denali. We met up with them for dinner. Since then, we've seen the twice while we were on the road, when we were in the same area.

Now, not all chance meetings wind up being that involved, a lot of people like traveling "by themselves" and not mixing with others at all.

In the past (about 3 years ago and more) GD owners were fewer, and a camaraderie seemed to develop when you'd run across other GD products. Today, not so much, there are many GD rigs in campgrounds now.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 05-09-2021 at 06:43 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The politics, the Covid thing, and the increasingly hostile attitudes of people are to blame.
    I've noticed people have lost their sense of humor, are not tolerant of others, and are increasingly quite self centered and arrogant.
    "My way or the highway".......
    I've found that just ignoring their hostility, talking and joking, being friendly and supportive usually breaks through the crusty exterior they hide behind. The ones (few) that insist on being unfriendly.....Just wish 'em a happy day and depart.
    2021 GD 260RD
    2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had some funny and interesting interactions thus far in our 7 months of full-time. Figured I'd share a couple on the lighter side as most of these conversations occurred when I was trying to get time-sensitive stuff done on the RV.
    - In North Carolina I was torqueing new tires to spec when I looked up and a fellow a few feet away from me was intently inspecting our Nautilus water system settings, never said anything to me even though I was right there. I asked him if I could help with something and he said him and his wife were on their maiden voyage and just hooking for the first time and water was gushing from the side of their RV. We went over to take a look at it turned out the dealer had not installed the anode after de-winterizing it. He was a military veteran and we struck up a good conversation.
    - In Texas, we were heading out to dinner and a fellow came across our spot staring at our bike rack intently. I asked him how he was doing (thinking something must be wrong with my bike rack) and he was curious of the brand and experience and again good convo, he got pictures of the brand and off he went.
    - In Kentucky, I was setting up wifi and cellular amplifiers and the fellow next door had a 1,000 questions on RVs (another couple on maiden voyage) and we got to talking for hours, and that was before he brought out the bottle of rum.
    - Down in Georgia, I was walking the dog and a fellow was just setting up, I just said "nice looking rig - same model as ours) and turned out he was an RV maintenance genius who was also a big-rig mechanic in the army. I learned a TON from the upgrades that couple had made to their RV, very insightful.
    - Most recently, again in Kentucky, I was disconnecting the black line and a fellow asked about our experiences with Anderson hitches as if it were very important. I finished the black line then gave him a demo on our experiences. He was a pretty seasoned RV'er just had never seen one.

I could go on and on but our experiences tend to be some of the best discussions happen when I'm least prepared to have a detailed discussion....maybe just my luck ...and I'm probably equally guilty of catching folks when they least want to engage in a big discussion.
    Last edited by CaptPicardo; 05-09-2021 at 07:01 PM.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually surprised a lot of people notice the solar panels on my roof and want to talk about solar systems. In thinking more about this - if anything I notice more people want to strike up conversations now than a couple years ago.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast