User Tag List

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why FullTimers Stop

Was reading up on how many Full-timers might be out there and ran across articles on RV-Dreams.com as to why some owners stop full timing. I think it's a good discussion about full timing and the pit falls that one can find themselves in, for pro's or newbies.
    First off, I think you have to categorize full-timers into Young<50, Older 50-65, Old 65 >, Working Full-timers, Fully Retired, Financially Independent, etc. There is a lot of different types of people out there full-timing. It kind of seems to me reading up, it depends on what category full-timers fit into, as to whether they are, or can be successful years down the road.

Here are some of the reasons they talked about on RV-Dreams. I got to say though I thought some of the reasons for stopping were ridiculous and mostly those came from young full-timers.

Full-timing wears you down
    CG Overcrowding
    Irresponsible boondockers
    RV repairs too expensive
    Missing family
    CG site cost too high
    Out of funds
    Tired of searching for the best pizza place or where the grocery store or WalMart is (Common give me a break!!!)
    Tired of reservations and to far out, can't go on a whim or spur of the moment
    Online digital nomads can't get high speed internet - want all the bells and whistles, bloggers
    Had kids RV too small (they know what causes that now you know)
    Health or Age

Seems some previous fulltimers have coined a new phrase - "Decision fatigue".

Well I guess if you live on the edge, yup it can be discouraging, it can get expensive, especially if you move every 3 -5 days and constantly setup and tear down and stay at high priced attractions all the time. One response was - No work camping and had to pay $1000/month for site?
    For us, where we are at its $430/month plus elect, our last elect bill was $83 and its been in the 80-90s and running both AC units. That includes cable TV, excellent swimming pool, and the best onsite laundry we've seen, $2.00 wash/dry just to name a few amenities.

Then read where many thought the first year going fulltime was the roughest, then the 3 year mark and then the 5 year. For us, we are coming up on our 1 year anniversary in July going fulltime, our experience has been great, not rough at all. But then again we planned for going fulltime and are in our 60s, retired, don't have to work camp. We live fine on our retirement and SS income, haven't had to touch our savings once in the last year.

If something breaks we fix it ourselves. If you can't DYI yes it can get real expensive and time consuming having to take the RV to a dealer and wait, or wait for a mobile tech. Major problem like frames, delamination, yes a person can't DYI, but we have replaced a converter, propane regulator and a RF complete wheel brake assy ourselves in the last year and we keep up with maint of the rig like wheel bearing repack and suspension greasing.
    Most of the time we stay at least a month at a site unless traveling to a different part of the country. In the last year we traveled up to Indiana and Ohio, back down to TX, and not had a problem. "Decision Fatigue?- our big decisions revolve around whether to cook or go out for dinner.

We have been having the time of our lives this first year. We will continue full-timing as long as we want to, as long as we can.
    Seems to me some full-timers don't plan too well or expected way too much, expectations were way too high. Some advise against going full time - too difficult, too expensive, too hard. Bull! What say you? Am I being too critical?
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-10-2021 at 06:32 PM. Reason: corrections deletions
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel