User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why FullTimers Stop

Was reading up on how many Full-timers might be out there and ran across articles on RV-Dreams.com as to why some owners stop full timing. I think it's a good discussion about full timing and the pit falls that one can find themselves in, for pro's or newbies.
    First off, I think you have to categorize full-timers into Young<50, Older 50-65, Old 65 >, Working Full-timers, Fully Retired, Financially Independent, etc. There is a lot of different types of people out there full-timing. It kind of seems to me reading up, it depends on what category full-timers fit into, as to whether they are, or can be successful years down the road.

Here are some of the reasons they talked about on RV-Dreams. I got to say though I thought some of the reasons for stopping were ridiculous and mostly those came from young full-timers.

Full-timing wears you down
    CG Overcrowding
    Irresponsible boondockers
    RV repairs too expensive
    Missing family
    CG site cost too high
    Out of funds
    Tired of searching for the best pizza place or where the grocery store or WalMart is (Common give me a break!!!)
    Tired of reservations and to far out, can't go on a whim or spur of the moment
    Online digital nomads can't get high speed internet - want all the bells and whistles, bloggers
    Had kids RV too small (they know what causes that now you know)
    Health or Age

Seems some previous fulltimers have coined a new phrase - "Decision fatigue".

Well I guess if you live on the edge, yup it can be discouraging, it can get expensive, especially if you move every 3 -5 days and constantly setup and tear down and stay at high priced attractions all the time. One response was - No work camping and had to pay $1000/month for site?
    For us, where we are at its $430/month plus elect, our last elect bill was $83 and its been in the 80-90s and running both AC units. That includes cable TV, excellent swimming pool, and the best onsite laundry we've seen, $2.00 wash/dry just to name a few amenities.

Then read where many thought the first year going fulltime was the roughest, then the 3 year mark and then the 5 year. For us, we are coming up on our 1 year anniversary in July going fulltime, our experience has been great, not rough at all. But then again we planned for going fulltime and are in our 60s, retired, don't have to work camp. We live fine on our retirement and SS income, haven't had to touch our savings once in the last year.

If something breaks we fix it ourselves. If you can't DYI yes it can get real expensive and time consuming having to take the RV to a dealer and wait, or wait for a mobile tech. Major problem like frames, delamination, yes a person can't DYI, but we have replaced a converter, propane regulator and a RF complete wheel brake assy ourselves in the last year and we keep up with maint of the rig like wheel bearing repack and suspension greasing.
    Most of the time we stay at least a month at a site unless traveling to a different part of the country. In the last year we traveled up to Indiana and Ohio, back down to TX, and not had a problem. "Decision Fatigue?- our big decisions revolve around whether to cook or go out for dinner.

We have been having the time of our lives this first year. We will continue full-timing as long as we want to, as long as we can.
    Seems to me some full-timers don't plan too well or expected way too much, expectations were way too high. Some advise against going full time - too difficult, too expensive, too hard. Bull! What say you? Am I being too critical?
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-10-2021 at 06:32 PM. Reason: corrections deletions
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    ... I think you have to categorize full-timers into
    I have a little different category system for full timers.

Roving fulltimers. Those that have a good retirement income who can afford to roam to their hearts content. Rarely visit the same place twice. Enough in the bank to repair or replace as it occurs, can do a lot of minor repairs themselves.

Vacationers. Taking one or two seasons to be roving fulltimers but know it's not going to be a sustained thing.

Snowbirds. These people go to one place in the winter, one place in the summer, same places each year. They may wander around a bit during moves, but back to the same places.

Homesteaders. These are folks that don't move their RV. Well maybe a little bit. But generally stay in one area. Family, work, finances; for whatever reason they don't roam.

One would think that age plays a big part in the decision making process, and to some degree it does. But about the time you think you have it nailed down on age the exceptions will pop up: The young couple who had a really hot money making streak and are not yet 40, cashed in and moved out. The octogenarians that are in far greater health than I am.

I think I have seen more quit because of health. The big C the most common. Family being the second, kids/grandkids, family. Most that start down this road have something going on financially, some better than others, the ones that don't have big piles of cash tend to work things out. Very few of us can keep running in what I call "vacation" mode. Moving every few days spending big cash on tourist stuff.

And yes, I think decision fatigue is a thing. Been there, been there, been there... where haven't we been? Yuck, I still don't want to go there. Ok, I really like that place lets go back. Too warm, too cold. And then age starts to creep up on you, for some reason you just don't have the energy you used to. Still like to go and do, just not at the pace we once did.

We are in our 11th full time season.
    Last edited by D2Reid; 05-10-2021 at 08:12 PM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the interesting perspectives.

We are getting close to counting the days before retirement. 8 months.

The decision fatigue is interesting. Where to go when? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much to our surprise, one of the full-time couples in our camping circle told us over the weekend that after 21 years of full-timing that they're coming off the road out of shear frustration. Truly nomadic roamers, they just do not enjoy having to plan their destinations. They enjoyed camping through the Winter in the Midwest where they had no problem finding camp availability, but now in-season they're just discouraged. Years ago they bought some mountain property for their second retirement (retired in their mid-30s), and plan to spend a couple years developing it into an off-grid homestead and re-evaluate.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    they're coming off the road out of shear frustration.
    We are getting close to that point also. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy for all the people have found the outdoors. But it is different now, 5 years ago we had an easier time of it. Trying to plan for September now.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I have a little different category system for full timers.

Roving fulltimers. Those that have a good retirement income who can afford to roam to their hearts content. Rarely visit the same place twice. Enough in the bank to repair or replace as it occurs, can do a lot of minor repairs themselves.

Vacationers. Taking one or two seasons to be roving fulltimers but know it's not going to be a sustained thing.

Snowbirds. These people go to one place in the winter, one place in the summer, same places each year. They may wander around a bit during moves, but back to the same places.

Homesteaders. These are folks that don't move their RV. Well maybe a little bit. But generally stay in one area. Family, work, finances; for whatever reason they don't roam.

One would think that age plays a big part in the decision making process, and to some degree it does. But about the time you think you have it nailed down on age the exceptions will pop up: The young couple who had a really hot money making streak and are not yet 40, cashed in and moved out. The octogenarians that are in far greater health than I am.

I think I have seen more quit because of health. The big C the most common. Family being the second, kids/grandkids, family. Most that start down this road have something going on financially, some better than others, the ones that don't have big piles of cash tend to work things out. Very few of us can keep running in what I call "vacation" mode. Moving every few days spending big cash on tourist stuff.

And yes, I think decision fatigue is a thing. Been there, been there, been there... where haven't we been? Yuck, I still don't want to go there. Ok, I really like that place lets go back. Too warm, too cold. And then age starts to creep up on you, for some reason you just don't have the energy you used to. Still like to go and do, just not at the pace we once did.

We are in our 11th full time season.
    Dallas, You are an inspiration to us all. 11 years is a long time and I'm sure you have seen just about all.
    Between you and I, I think we have the "Who" fulltimes and the "How" they fulltime down, lols. I guess we are a mixture of Roving, Snowbirds and Family, RovelyBirds ? Since going fulltime last year we kind of decided to pick a big popular attraction to visit once a year, outside of peek season if possible, then rove camp to Indiana/Ohio to visit family for a few months, then end up back down in the Southern Texas gulf coast Dec - Apr, somewhere for the winter, then some time around Austin to get our annual health check ups done, then start the process all over again.

Since moving to Texas away from midwest family 19 years ago, each year always plan trips back for holiday visits, so trip planning is nothing new to us.

This year our Roving is to Disney and meet up with kids and grandkids in June coming down from Ohio. Then slowly rove camp from Florida up to the midwest and spend a few months around the rest of the family then back to TX for the winter. Last year was Galveston, this coming winter maybe Corpus Christi.

Health and or Age is probably what is going to stop us, baring any catastrophic circumstances. Probably end up like these people in a tiny home, park model or permanent perch. and our rig in the same park. My wife's uncle has a park model place somewhere around Surprise AZ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2596.jpg   IMG_2597.jpg   IMG_2590.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-12-2021 at 10:51 AM.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    11 years is a long time
    Doesn't seem like it. We just keep having fun and the time flies by. LOL, you could come winter with us in Park City, UT Dec-Mar. I'll even help you brush the snow off your roof. But I have to admit it wouldn't be much fun if you don't like snow sports...

Disney, We used to live 90 miles away, so went there often. Definitely something to do with (grand) kids. We developed the habit going straight to the back of the park and then continuing clockwise. Over the years it appeared to us that the majority of the crowd would go through the gate and begin a clockwise tour. But by going to the back first you avoid the big line surge. Definitely make food reservations.

As adults we enjoyed Epcot more than Disneyworld.

Safe Travels.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intriguing thread, thanks for posting it. Thought I'd comment on one aspect I've not seen mentioned yet.

Perspective first: Firmly in the Roving full-timer category, about to start our 4th year ... of what I used to call my one-year "experiment" with it. (Don't get me started on the furniture and stuff I put into a storage locker thinking it was going to be economical thing to do for 1, maybe two years, haha. Oh well.) Sold home on east coast, came west to explore, and have not gone back east of the Mississippi again yet, as there is no shortage of new places to explore. Absolutely loving the life, despite dealing with a crash last year that left us truck-less for 4 months, a failed fridge cooling unit, slide seals, etc. etc. Have to admit to being a long-range planner, making my reservations 9 months or more in advance, which has served me well lately, and I have no problem continuing to do so, and enjoy the route and destination planning. Never boondocked, not equipped to do so, only a few wistful regrets about that, passing by a few choice sites while out on hikes, etc. Generally try to stay 1-2 weeks minimum in any given place, though since Covid times, have done a few longer term stays.

Anyway, have pondered coming off road to get a house again in last 6 months, partly due to health affecting my mobility, more due to situations with grown kids getting settled, or re-settled, but... who the heck wants to buy a house now in this market?!? Staying in RV now for another couple years makes perfect sense, until next housing market crash, haha, especially since pressure is off a bit with regards to me other reasons. So... down the road we go! Sure don't want to buy another RV now too under current market conditions, so going to coax and coddle our 2017 303RLS along for another couple years at least.
    ============
    Norm and Mary Ann

2017 F-350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW Diesel, Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Kit
    2017 Reflection 303RLS, Nov. 2016 Build
    Andersen Ultimate 3220 Hitch

Full-Timing as of June 2018!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Doesn't seem like it. We just keep having fun and the time flies by. LOL, you could come winter with us in Park City, UT Dec-Mar. I'll even help you brush the snow off your roof. But I have to admit it wouldn't be much fun if you don't like snow sports...snip
    As adults we enjoyed Epcot more than Disneyworld.

Safe Travels.
    Hey Dallas, I have been to UT several times but in my past life in IT computer career. Spent a lot of time in Provo, visited Promontory UT and the transcontinental RR meeting place and at least drove by the Morton Thiokol plant near there. Visited Park City UT in the winter, really nice area but not with an RV. But now I don't like winter all that much. The Wife has never been out there so it's on her bucket list, during the warmer months.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin' Norm View Post
    Intriguing thread, thanks for posting it. Thought I'd comment on one aspect I've not seen mentioned yet.

Perspective first: Firmly in the Roving full-timer category, about to start our 4th year ... of what I used to call my one-year "experiment" with it. snip so going to coax and coddle our 2017 303RLS along for another couple years at least.
    I know what you mean, We've been trying to be diligent and keep up with the RV maintenance and repairs to make it last as long as we can. We would hate the thought of purchasing now as well, RV or S&B.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting post and comments.

We plan to be "Roving" 5 to 6 months in the US during the winter months. We are in eastern Canada. Is it mostly "out" of season in most areas of the US between September and April? The rumors of overcrowding is definitely something on our mind. We are hoping for a large TH, may do the first year in our 34'TT to make sure the lifestyle is for us.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2013 Outback 300RB
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast