User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldcow View Post
    Is it mostly "out" of season in most areas of the US between September and April?
    Oldcow
    The season, in my experience, is mostly temperature related. During mild summer months the season is further north. As old man winter creeps in the season moves further south. The more northern RV parks start to shut down the end of September. You can get lots of far south reservations July, August, September when the temps are somewhere between 90f and 100f.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the day will come, but it is a long way off for us. We have a unique setup that was planned for years ago. We built a 2 spot RV "park" on property we have in the Southern Utah mountains and spend 6 months there from some time in April until the first snow, which is about November 1st. November is "roving" month when we decide where to spend a month at some place new. Then its the Vegas area for December for a month to be with the kids and grandkids for the holidays. January is a "roving" month followed by 1 or 2 months (depending on roving plans) at our favorite place in Yuma. We watch the snow and temperature situation in Utah on our security cameras and usually leave for our mountain around April 15th. The "slack" time is another "roving" time for us until we can return to Utah.

We do plan ahead, but one of the most important things for us is having a "home base". Knowing we have six months to spend with our friends and visitors on our mountain retreat while maintaining our fulltime lifestyle, and having time to plan our couple of months of roving, takes off the stress. We have friends that we travel (rove) with yearly, which also adds to the fun. We decided when we undertook this lifestyle that we would try to see all the things we want see, but generally keep to our schedule. This year we decided to break the schedule to take the grandkids on a 4 week trip to visit a few National Parks and visit the Great Grandparents in Iowa in June. This was because of health reasons with the Great Grandparents. There are few things that can take me off a schedule, this is one of them. The Grandkids usually spend this time with us in Utah.

Bottom line for us is..... HAVE FUN!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been fulltime since 2018. Love planning and do reservations months in advance so latest issue with campgrounds being booked is not affecting us. One thing we did is to buy an RV lot in a resort in south Florida when we sold the house. We winter there from Nov - April then take off to explore the country the rest of the months. Have many friends there and close to family.

Having a place to stay all winter allows time to take care of maintenance, rest up and plan the next trips. With this method, we don’t feel stressed out or wanting to stop traveling anytime soon. We do a lot of the repairs ourselves to save money and knowing expenses keeps us within budget.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a small piece of property, looking out over the Mississippi River. We set up the trailer there to go there every weekend, and hopefully more often once i get the wireless internet sorted out. Full-timing is a dream, dunno if we can manage that this year. So far the weekends are bliss, compared to tent camping in the same spot every weekend (when it's fair weather...)

Perhaps would like to rove, but then probably need a bigger tow vehicle to reduce the stress on the car. Still, with both of us working, would have to do that roving over the weekend.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel
    e2 trunnion hitch and Curt 7-pin brake controller
    Victron SmartSolar 100|50 -- 2x UB121000 100ah -- 4x100W panels
    Always boondocking. No post, no facilities.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well we will have to see how this pans out for us. Have always had rv's but usually for long weekends or a weeks vacation. We both retired a few weeks ago and sold the house while the market is still hot. Bought the 2970RL last May with these plans in mind. We left Cortez Co Sat morning to go out to Buellton Ca. to see new grandaughter and left there and on our way to wander around Texas until the 3rd of October when we have reservations at Lake Greeson in Arkansas. From there who knows, but someplace warm until Colorado in the spring and northern traveling. Plans are to buy a place probably in Arizona for the winter when the market gets back to "normal" if there is such a thing anymore. 70 is the new 40 lol
    2019 F150 4x4 screw sb with max towing
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    2 many former rigs to list.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Was reading up on how many Full-timers might be out there and ran across articles on RV-Dreams.com as to why some owners stop full timing. I think it's a good discussion about full timing and the pit falls that one can find themselves in, for pro's or newbies. ...
    Have the reasons and motivations for people starting full-time RV living changed over the years?

I have been wondering why the recent increase in people buying RV's let alone why some new buyers decide to live full-time in the RV. I wonder if the ratio between new buyers going full-time is increasing with the increase in RV purchases and why.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    Have the reasons and motivations for people starting full-time RV living changed over the years?

I have been wondering why the recent increase in people buying RV's let alone why some new buyers decide to live full-time in the RV. I wonder if the ratio between new buyers going full-time is increasing with the increase in RV purchases and why.
    I think absolutely motivations have changed. I think there are several reasons why but just one that comes to mind is that Gen X and younger people are not locked into the traditional way of thinking. Technology (social media, mobile networking) is a big part of it. For the youngsters the more traditional way of thinking is out the window. Some of the reasons I have read about for various age groups going full time,
    Freedom
    Travel
    Meet new People
    Get out of the Rut
    Change Up Jobs
    Do Things We Had Never Done Before
    Live Life Now
    Simplify Life
    Experience Life, Not Just Live It.
    Work Burn Out
    Minimal Quality Time With Traditional Living
    Scratching Their Hitch Itch

Get back to you later with more thoughts, gotta take a break
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think absolutely motivations have changed. I think there are several reasons why but just one that comes to mind ...
    I agree that traditional norms for many younger adults is and has been changing. That's probably a product of how they were raised, taught and the social environment bubble they are living in. Our society in general is going through radical changes that seems to impacts younger people the most. But I'm not sure it's these socially changed people who are currently buying RV's and living full-time in it.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    I agree that traditional norms for many younger adults is and has been changing. That's probably a product of how they were raised, taught and the social environment bubble they are living in. Our society in general is going through radical changes that seems to impacts younger people the most. But I'm not sure it's these socially changed people who are currently buying RV's and living full-time in it.
    Hey Corky2, First from one veteran (USN) to another, thanks for your service. The wife wanted to go somewhere yesterday so I didn't get a chance to finish my thoughts. There is a lot of changes in society these days. Couple that I have run across,

We are in our mid 60s. We were taught the traditional way of thinking / living, you know, when you got the good paying job you stayed with it till retirement 30 -40 years, you lived in the same area you grew up in, got your house paid off etc. Now days not many companies pay retirement so there is no incentive for people to stay to one company or loyalty to one company, or in the same place for 30 years. With head hunters and job networking people can find higher paying better benefit jobs all over the country. Right before I retired the young people in the company seemed to come and go like a revolving door, two to three years and gone. With the cost of housing, 2-3 years, RV living fits the bill.

At one RV park we stayed at, was talking to a young guy 30s, HD diesel mechanic, wife and 5 kids living in an RV, would work for a company for awhile, find a better paying company with a sign on bonus and move again. They were originally from SC, moved to TX, then he got a job in FL with a $5K sign on bonus. Said RV living fit their bill.

Not wanting to be political, but I think the Affordable Care Act, like it or not, has helped change the dynamic a little. Younger people don't tend to use health care as much as us older people. Where ever the young people move to, they can get health care coverage if there work doesn't provide it.

When staying in our home state, TX, there are lots of transient workers, power grid, new wind farm construction, the new TESLA plant in Austin, they move from one work site to another. RV living fits there bill. They are never in one place long enough to buy a house, and the cost of houses in TX is going crazy.

In the medical field, my wife's old job, she worked for the same hospital for 20 years, they did away with retirement, she was seeing more traveling health care workers, moving from job to job when a better opportunity presents itself, RV living fits their bill.

We are in Indiana right now, guy next door to us is from AL, has a Solitude 378, single, working here till job is done, then move to the next job.

Was reading a couples site from SC, they started with the traditional lifestyle, were miserable, totally stressed out, woke up one morning and asked, is this what we are slaving away for, misery? Chucked it all, bought an RV move all over the country, working jobs they find online. They are in their 30-40s.

Lots of changes going on in society. Its not just us retirees buying RVs any more.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 11-12-2021 at 05:33 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ........Lots of changes going on in society. Its not just us retirees buying RVs any more.
    IMO, I dont think it ever was.... There have always been those chasing the blue collar dollar doing migrant skilled labour type work traveling the country. Not to include those who travel to FEMA work sites doing clean up, repairs, firefighting, building, etc. Thats been going on for years and given the current extreme weather issues will probably increase with more folks doing it (along with the newbie COVID RV'ers and retirees).

We have been to several campgrounds where we have seen those types of long term site rentals. Mostly because its cheaper than staying at a hotel and save money while cooking out. This also doesn't include those who are renting long term for vacation purposes cause they like that particular campground or location for the same monetary reasons. Seen alot of that too.

The real question in my mind is when the COVID RV'ers are done, what will full time RV'ing be like. Will it make it any easier for those who do this type of living (retiree and/or traveling worker)? Will the glutten of used RV's have any effect on full timing due to less demand and needing to places to park, store or vacation in. Campground access may also become a reason for those giving it up too.

We are are considering all of this while we make up our minds to become full timers in the near future. For us, we would like to maybe workcamp in our retirement. We talked with several of those folks and some say the type of RV'ers today are becoming more "challenging" to deal with. This too maybe a reason for some giving it up.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast