User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your thoughts on General RV (Salt Lake City)

I have found a trailer I like at General RV in Salt Lake City. Completing all work remotely since I live quite a distance away. I have been looking through reviews for this company and they are so many that are truly horrible. I'm a little nervous!!! Any one have any advice?
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katpaige View Post
    I have found a trailer I like at General RV in Salt Lake City. Completing all work remotely since I live quite a distance away. I have been looking through reviews for this company and they are so many that are truly horrible. I'm a little nervous!!! Any one have any advice?
    Thanks.
    Unfortunately, one of the General RV dealerships in Salt Lake City are in the news right now because of Fraudulent Financing Contracts.

Look up "General RV Fraud" to find out the details and to see if this is the Dealer you are working with.

I think that if you are not financing your purchase through the Dealer you might be okay, the fraud pertained to the financing agreement.

If the Salt Lake Dealer mentioned in the fraud investigation is the Dealer you are working with, you might want to keep on looking.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I compare General RV and their 14 stores to a number of big chain automobile dealerships in the country. They're slam and jam operations giving managers big sales and profit objectives to make. And they also go through employees and salesmen like water.

General RV also has a very big finance department that's a strong income producer. Not only do they get a big profit on front end, but they also get you on the back end.

The jury is out on their F&I being fraudulent. I say they're extremely unethical in how they finance RV's with very low principal payments and a huge balloon payment @ 10 years. Not every customer will have the financial resources to pay that balloon note, and I can see repossessions abound. Although RV's are big depreciating items, their 10 year notes are figured on 20 year principal payments (amortization.) Their finance rates (APR) are not that bad, but the dealership is making big profits because the balances are not coming down. The total finance charges in 10 years will be about 50% of the original selling price.

I'm sorry, but General RV is not the kind of RV dealership I would ever care to do business with. I prefer to do business with an independently owned RV dealership that's been in business many years and one that has employees with little turnover. They're the ones with great personal relationships with their customers.
    Last edited by Bamaman; 05-10-2021 at 07:27 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are waiting for a trailer to arrive at the SLC General RV so we can take a look and see if we want to follow through with the purchase. The salesman and finance guy we spoke with both seemed good, but we are the type to read everything on a normal basis so in this case we will be extra careful. From the news reports I have read and seen the alleged fraud was at least 8 years ago. Possible it is still going on, but at this point anything more recent has not made the news. Because of the news reports and any government investigations this may be the best time to deal with them.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased our first GD Solitude from them, never again. A lot of very nice people work there but our sales person was awful. Lack of customer service to say the least. I will pay more and buy from from another dealer. That’s just me.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, when I was shopping for our 311BHS in May of 2020, I had two dealerships I was considering buying from. One was a semi-local dealership that has 8 stores scattered through three adjoining States (NY,PA and NJ) and General RV. The Semi - local dealership where I purchased from had one 311BHS and General RV had one within a reasonable distance to travel to. I had red flag after red flag with General RV. The RV itself was in N. Canton, Ohio. The Sales person I spoke with on the phone and negotiated with was in Tampa Florida, and the finance guy was at their headquarters location in Michigan. Nothing shady happened during negotiations but for me there were too many moving parts, too many fingers in the pie and their negotiations were high pressure. It turned me off and I ended up buying from the other dealer where the RV, salesman and finance department were all at the same store and there was no pressure. They ended up beating the price by almost $1,000 too.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my 2800BH for them last year. In the process I talked to several sales people. Some I liked and some I did not. I ended up working with Steve. He was very good to work with. Service after the sale was good too. I had to take mine back for minor issues.
    2021 Grand Design 2800BH
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 10k Towing
    Salt Lake City Utah Area.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You lost me at General RV. Worst sales experience ever, to the point we drove 60 miles to another dealer even though they carried what we wanted.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hog View Post
    You lost me at General RV. Worst sales experience ever, to the point we drove 60 miles to another dealer even though they carried what we wanted.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Lane Hog, was this the Salt Lake City General RV?
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar