User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andersen "Unhitching" question

Hey Everyone!

We are one our first big adventure (traveling through Utah's National Parks) in our 2930RL and 2020 F-350. We have an Andersen Ultimate Hitch which we are very happy with. I do have a question/observation and wonder what others have seen or how you handle it. Tragically, it would be easier to show (I am a visual person) but I will do my best to describe:

We get the trailer situated where we want it.
    We chock the tires.
    We disconnect the wiring, safety chains and unlock the hitch from the truck.
    We ground the front jacks.
    We slowly raise the front jacks.

Here is the problem: The trailer jacks lift the truck (more than just the compression from the hitch weight) until the ball finally "lets go." The truck will drop an inch or two and the hitch will be an inch or two either ahead of or behind the ball.

The trailer is chocked so it can't move. The parking brake is set in the truck (and it works just fine).

This does not seem "normal" to me. My questions are:

Has anyone else seen this or dealt with it?
    How do I compensate for it so the hitch simply lifts off the ball?
    Or, is this "normal" and I just learn to live with it (my least favorite choice.)

Thank you in advance!

Ed and Leslie
    U.S. Navy Submarine Force Veteran
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW 6.7
    2021 Solitude 2930RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar setup. 2016 F-350 and Andersen hitch. My jacks lift the coupler off of the itch ball with no resistance. It raises off the ball as would be expected. I wonder if your ball it slightly larger than the coupler or is your ball lock no fully disengaging when you got to unhitch? My guess is maybe the ball lock is not fully out.
    Allyn & Sue
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 F350 Lariat PS 6.7
    Andersen Ultimate Connection 2

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pulled our first few years full-time with an Andersen Ultimate. After chocking and grounding the front landing gear, I would put the truck in neutral and take the parking brake off (keep my foot on the brake pedal, of course) and let the truck move forward or backward the inch or so that's putting the pressure on the ball and coupler before raising the trailer the rest of the way. I never had an issue with binding doing it that way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It commonly happens. You're catching some bind of the coupler to the ball. It is more pronounced when your truck and trailer are peaked - trailer nose high from level and truck facing downslope. Just as Rob suggests, you can release that bind by letting the truck roll a bit after the trailer is firmly chocked. Using a grease with more body on the ball, and cleaning/replacing each trip also helps for smoother hitching and unhitching when towing goose.
    Last edited by geotex1; 05-11-2021 at 06:14 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked to make sure the ball lock was completely disengaged (it is).

Rob, you described exactly what I was thinking about doing! I know there are lots of forces happening when dragging around 12,000 pounds and when moving it about. Our next stop, I will do as you suggest. I'm certain it will work perfectly. Thank you!
    U.S. Navy Submarine Force Veteran
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW 6.7
    2021 Solitude 2930RL