User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the Stop Your Trailer kit the pads are suppository Cadillac MKD-215 Pads
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, yes. In order to change from electric drum to disc you would also need to add a hydraulic pump and run hydraulic fluid lines to each wheel. But, I'm sure it would make a huge difference.
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=bfs673;368838]I'm absolutely shocked at the difference. This isn't a subtle difference, with the brakes being a "bit better". This difference is night and day... I will never own a trailer any where near this weight with drum brakes again. No way, no how !!![/B]... /QUOTE]

Preach it Brother... We pull a 2016 Solitude 379FL with a 2006 F250 SD with a dually conversion. Standing on the brake with both feet in a panic stop was very scary wondering if I could actually stop in time!

Reading on here about disk brakes I started researching. Ultimately I decided on the Kodiak system for my Lippert 7K axles and a Hydro-Star actuator. I bought the kit from a dealer that Kodiak recommended who had the absolute lowest pricing. I did not like the idea of flexible hydraulic hoses being "under" the frame (and coroplast) and exposed to the road, so I ran HD steel brake line in the upper web of the main frame I-beam. I did the entire job myself at our campsite in Florida.

My first driving test was the drive back home to Michigan. WOW!!! What a difference! The actual impact of these disk brakes was immediately noticeable, but they didn't get used much on the freeway (Atlanta not withstanding). After the first hundred miles they were mostly broke-in. Then the difference was really evident. Now, instead of the truck trying to stop the RV, the RV was pulling back on the truck! Now I worry about cabinet doors popping open from braking too aggressively. More than once all of the clothes in the rear closet have fallen to the floor from stopping too abruptly!

Knowing what I know now, I wish I had done this upgrade first instead of several down the list. If we ever get another large RV like our Solitude, disk brakes will be the first order of business. If someone on here is trying to make the decision to go with disc brakes...Please find a way to make it happen. You will not be sorry. With the four brakes, tubing and hardware, and all new bearings and seals for posterity, we had just a hair over $2K into this project, but I did ALL of the work.

YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!!!
    Last edited by fez111; 05-19-2021 at 06:46 PM.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
    I wonder if the factory (either Dexter or GD) adds grease using the EZ lube zerk.... !!![/URL]
    I'm guessing they might use the zerk. My rig is a year old now so I tackled the bearings a few weeks ago. The dust cap was 3/4 full of grease. I can't envision how (or why) that would be the case unless they used the zerk to pump things full. Fortunately, none blew through the seal so the drum was grease free.
    Terry, Patty, Sophie (Great Pyrenees) and Tessa (German Shep/Pyr Mix)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS
    2021 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.75' bed /6.7L Diesel/3.55 electronic locking axle

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 320MKS. How much is the conversion and what professionals will do it for me?
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    I have a 320MKS. How much is the conversion and what professionals will do it for me?
    Reach out to Performance Trailer Braking for current pricing. They have mobile installers that can come to you and they also do rally installs.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    At the Central FL GD Owners Rally last month the tech was charging $900 for dual axle and $1200 for triple installs. He was able to complete 2 installs a day. I will caution that if you are thinking about getting it done at a Rally book it early. I didnt know you could book early and all of the appointments were full when I arrived. Reason I'm going to do it myself.
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW

currently we are on our way to Salome AZ.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
    Well I pulled my drums a month or so ago to repack the wheel bearings, inspect brakes, etc. for the season.
    Brakes were shot, one pad in each of the drums on the passenger side was to the metal, digging into the drum. Several pieces of brake liner fell out as well. Both on the passenger side.
    Drivers side was great, pad life was good, all looked OK.

Rather than replace the drums and disc brake assemblies, I decided to upgrade to disc brakes.

Initially ordered my kit from etrailer, who stated they had it in stock. After 2 weeks of a pushed ship date, I cancelled my order and Ordered my kit from Bill at StopYourTrailer dot com. Very nice fella, lots of knowledge. FYI, I ended up with a better quality brake actuator, 9/16" studs, full set of lug nuts cheaper than the base kit from etrailer.

I know there are industry shortages that have caused issues, but he was able to put together the kit for my Dexter 7k axles and ship about a week after my order.
    As mentioned, I went with 9/16 studs/lug nuts and the Brakerite actuator. FYI, with our wheels, I needed a thinner wall socket, my standard impact socket would not fit.

Installation went fairly well, a few issues here and there.
    Biggest issue was the poor cast quality of the caliper brackets and required some grinding to correct. A few hours and some words I'm not proud of, but I got it done.

All in all, took roughly 20 hours of wrenching to complete.

Took it around the block after a quick test and set-up in the driveway.

I'm absolutely shocked at the difference. This isn't a subtle difference, with the brakes being a "bit better". This difference is night and day.
    I will never own a trailer any where near this weight with drum brakes again. No way, no how !!!

I look forward to seeing how it performs on a longer journey later this month.

If you're trying to decide whether to do this conversion, I can tell you that I would do it all over again; Even if it took twice the time to complete!

If you have questions, fire away!
    I love the disc brakes, stopping is not the issue any longer if you know what i mean. going forward i will always upgrade to disc.
    Mike and Renee with Gracie our Golden Retriever on a full time journey exploring our great Country
    2021 Momentum 395m with Factory installed 8k axles with disc brakes and solar package, 4976# CCC
    2015 F350 CC LB DRW. Firestone #5000 air bags with Air One remote control and Bilstein shocks
    25k B&W Companion on factory 5th wheel mounts

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too ordered from Bill at Stopyourtrailer. Great guy with the necessary knowledge to guide you through the conversion. Took me about twenty two hours to do the conversion on my 328m but I am slow and deliberate. The kit I received was correct and complete and Bill answered each of my several calls to explain when I got stuck or double check my work. I had just completed a 10k trip out west in some serious grades. I immediately ordered the kit upon my return. I truly believe drum brakes are inadequate for the RVs in this weight class. After my test of the disc brake system there is no doubt in my mind.
    Last edited by PJShirey; 05-20-2021 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill at Stopyourtrailer is an awful busy guy. I got a quote from him last week as I'm not happy with drums on a '42 foot Solitude, so I was happy for his email. I guess I'll have to install them myself at next stop as all of the maintainer shops are backed up. That said, all of my research affirms what Rob and so many others have said on this thread. Time to do disc brakes! I'm full-timer with 14k miles of traveling with too many close calls.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast