User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bike rack

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for a bike rack I started out by installing the Heavy Hauler extra supports for the bumper, I wanted to install their anti wobble receiver too but since the rear wall overhangs the bumper it doesn't fit properly.
    I elected to go with the Stromberg Carlson bike rack with anti wobble receiver setup (which is designed for RVs), https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .
    The bikes are about 40# each so that put 80# @ about 19" out from the bumper so that equates to about 127 pound - foot on the rear bumper, which based on what I have read and understand should be well in the range of the rear bumper carrying capacity. I'm not quite sure how the bike rack weight equates out in the formula but if you add it totally out at the 19" (which would be worst case) that make the total pound-foot @ 194#, so I'm somewhere in-between.

I have just assembled it all but not yet made the first run with it, I plan to use some additional strapping in an effort to minimize the flex/bounce of the system and the first run will be a short one. The spare tire has to come off the back bumper but between it's mount and the rear ladder is where I plan to attach to for the additional strapping.

I like the construction of this bike rack over others since the tubes are thicker, welded and with gussets at the joints and no bends.
    Hopefully we will get to test in the near future.
    I will report back.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjradtech View Post
    Want to mount bike rack on rear bumper of imagine xls 22 rbe. Would have to remove spare tire.
    Has anybody done this?
    TIA
    My wife and I are in our 60's and purchased two E bikes, which are fairly heavy (60 lbs. each without the battery) I purchased a frame mounted hitch receiver (350 lb. rating) and had it welded to the I-beams on our GD 2950RL. The spare goes in the back of the pick up. The bumper had to be split in the middle to allow for the height of the receiver. My next purchase was an RV/E bike rated bike rack from 1Up USA, which was their 2" Super Duty Double. A little pricy but made in the USA and can easily handle the weight of E bikes and the bounce of an RV. They also sell several other variations that can handle up to four bikes of lighter weights. There is an ingenious anti wobble mechanism that holds the rack rock solid. I still attach a couple of ratchet straps from the bikes to the receiver for piece of mind as I am aware of the bounce factor on the back of an RV. The rack folds up against the back of the trailer when not in use. This system has served us well. GD does not recommend a rear hitch receiver on their travel trailers, although many have done it. Two trips from NY to Florida and back with no issues, while always watching the rear view camera.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSam View Post
    I just ordered a front 2” hitch for my 2020 F150. It is supposed to be able to carry 500 lbs and pull 5k. I will by a bike carrier for the hitch and carry my two bikes in front if my truck. Will post pictures when it comes in and is installed.
    Good luck with that! I use to carry my bikes on the front of my truck until I was stopped and fined for "Driving with an Obstructive View" in NJ several years ago. Turns out it's illegal in a lot of states to have anything stick above your hoodline (other than snowplowing equipment) that will block any part of your view above the lower 4 - 6" of your windshield. A $275 learning lesson for me!
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjradtech View Post
    Want to mount bike rack on rear bumper of imagine xls 22 rbe. Would have to remove spare tire.
    Has anybody done this?
    TIA
    If you do this go to a reputable weld shop and have your bumper removed and replaced with a heavier gauge square steel tube bumper that is welded to new heavier supports DIRECTLY to the frame on your rig. Have a receiver and gussets welded to the new bumper. Yes it involves some work and costs $ but in the end it's worth it rather than causing a catastrophic accident if your welds snap and the bikes hit the road doing 65+MPH. My buddy had it done every time he traded in an bought a new RV...the shop he took it to even cut off and reused a few inches of his existing bumper and welded them into the ends of the slightly larger new bumper to facilitate using the plastic caps to hold his sewer hose in. Also if you're using a bike rank that folds down remove the pin and replace it (and all the bolts)with hardened steel 1/2" bolts and nylon locking nuts...that takes most of the movement out of the bikes.

I also use one of these clamps on my bike rack and when towing anything in a receiver type hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JDD8L3H...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 05-22-2021 at 06:44 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234