User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jaboni Roof Connection Box

Hi, I've posted this question on a couple other threads but no answers yet.

I just installed my solar on my 2021 Imagine 2670MK. The cover of the Jaboni roof box pops off and the MC4s connect inside, but is the cover supposed to go back on after connecting the MC4s? There are no holes in the cover to feed the wires through, so I'm guessing no, but would appreciate any feedback from others who have worked with this same box.

Thanks

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished my solar wiring today. I have the same question. My panel covers the box a little but I don't think anything covers the plugs.
    John & Beata, Waterford, WI
    2021 Reflection 337 RLS, 2017 Ford F350 Lariat, Diesel, Crew Cab, Demco 21K Recon 5th Wheel Hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's the same entry (it's not a Jaboni design, just generic they slapped a cover on with their name) when you actually use it, the cover is discarded.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifes a Journey 365 View Post

I just installed my solar on my 2021 Imagine 2670MK. The cover of the Jaboni roof box pops off and the MC4s connect inside, but is the cover supposed to go back on after connecting the MC4s? There are no holes in the cover to feed the wires through, so I'm guessing no, but would appreciate any feedback from others who have worked with this same box.

Thanks
    It took me awhile to figure it out also. The cover stays off. The MC4 connections are water proof. Just make sure you Dicor around the mount as there are exposed bolts once the Exterior cover is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifes a Journey 365 View Post

Thanks
    I have a 2020 260RD Reflection with a prewired connector box on the roof. I just ordered a solar kit with MC4 connectors. I was also reading that someone had a newer unit that already had solar when ordered, but that setup is strictly Jaboni proprietary solar connectors and will not accept an MC4 connector. Mine was built in 2019 and I am fairly sure the connector on the roof is MC4. Does anyone know for sure? I'd assume that later when GD started to sell units with solar already installed, they went with a different arrangement resulting in one's inability to install panels with MC4 connectors. Not sure why they would intentionally do that, that appears they may have once solar was an installed option. Pray my unit has MC4 on the roof!!!
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    I have a 2020 260RD Reflection with a prewired connector box on the roof. I just ordered a solar kit with MC4 connectors. I was also reading that someone had a newer unit that already had solar when ordered, but that setup is strictly Jaboni proprietary solar connectors and will not accept an MC4 connector. Mine was built in 2019 and I am fairly sure the connector on the roof is MC4. Does anyone know for sure? I'd assume that later when GD started to sell units with solar already installed, they went with a different arrangement resulting in one's inability to install panels with MC4 connectors. Not sure why they would intentionally do that, that appears they may have once solar was an installed option. Pray my unit has MC4 on the roof!!!
    In 2019, it should be MC4.That said it is not hard or expensive to install MC4s.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using the stock Jaboni solar gland without issue for nearly 18 months (It does have MC4 connectors on my rig). I have inline 30AMP (Renogy) fuse’s on both the positive and negative side feeding to the gland. Apparently I melted the fuse which effectively welded the MC4 connector the the Jaboni gland.

( I am curious as to why I was careful with my parallel/ series wiring not to exceed 25 Amps but that will be another day its been fine for 18 months)

I will be replacing the gland clearly. Has anyone removed one of these glands? Is there enough slack to add MC4 connectors to a new gland inside? I will know once I open it but since the part is not in yet, I have not opened it. I thought someone may have some experience with this.

I guess I am having nightmares of pulling wire which would require disassembly of my battery bank which would be far more invasive than I was hoping for……

Thanks for any insight
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
    I have been using the stock Jaboni solar gland without issue for nearly 18 months (It does have MC4 connectors on my rig). I have inline 30AMP (Renogy) fuse’s on both the positive and negative side feeding to the gland. Apparently I melted the fuse which effectively welded the MC4 connector the the Jaboni gland.

( I am curious as to why I was careful with my parallel/ series wiring not to exceed 25 Amps but that will be another day its been fine for 18 months)

I will be replacing the gland clearly. Has anyone removed one of these glands? Is there enough slack to add MC4 connectors to a new gland inside? I will know once I open it but since the part is not in yet, I have not opened it. I thought someone may have some experience with this.

I guess I am having nightmares of pulling wire which would require disassembly of my battery bank which would be far more invasive than I was hoping for……

Thanks for any insight
    Sorry to hear of your troubles with the solar.

No need to worry about the need to pull wires.

Don’t have a picture so not quite sure where the damage occurred, but what you can do is clip the wires as close to the damage as possible but still good wire, then do an inline butt connection that is waterproof with heat shrink for any additional length needed. You should be ok.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS