User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pin weight balancing

HI, II got the washer dryer and that increased the pin weight and want to know if I put equal weight at the rear would it balance it out. (not actual weight but our stuff in the back under the couch and in the upper cabinets.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, not entirely because the length of the moment arms are different. Equal weight will reduce a portion on the pin.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand. Do you know in a 310g if weight in the back affects the pin + or -?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
    I understand. Do you know in a 310g if weight in the back affects the pin + or -?
    Short answer is "more weight behind axles" = "less pin weight". "more weight in front of axles" = "more pin weight". The axles are your pivot point. Think of a teeter-totter and how weight effects it. The closer the weight is to the pivot (axles) the less effect it has on the end of the teeter-totter (king pin). This is true for all trailers.

On a Solitude 310GK the fresh water tank is just behind the rear axle. the kitchen grey tank is just in front of the axles and the bathroom grey and black tanks are in front of those. at roughly 8.34#/gallon, water is heavy. I often will use the fresh water to trim the pin weight. 70 gallons of fresh (~585#) takes about 107# off the king pin (vs an empty tank)

chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post I created a while ago may help you decide how much weight you would need and where.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...Weight-Changes

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKilmer View Post
    This post I created a while ago may help you decide how much weight you would need and where.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...Weight-Changes
    Did you mean that Xp is negative? Would have thought that would always be a positive value where Xw might be negative. So in the case CoChris describes above where the fresh water tank is behind the rear axle, is Xw negative?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Did you mean that Xp is negative? Would have thought that would always be a positive value where Xw might be negative. So in the case CoChris describes above where the fresh water tank is behind the rear axle, is Xw negative?
    Whoops. my mistake and good eye! Xw can be negative, not Xp. This is the case that CoChris described with the fresh water tank. Since the tank is behind the axles Xw will be negative.

I will try to edit the post I made to fix this.
    Last edited by BobKilmer; 05-13-2021 at 09:03 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info
    I've recently added about 400 # to the pin weight which puts me over what I should be and plan on taking our dog on the next trip and am adding a rack on the back hitch to hold the dog pens which weight 300# . Is there a way to figure how much negative weight reduction on the pin from doing this.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there is. You need to take two measurements to do this. The first is the distance from the center of your axles to the center of the pin (Xp). The second is the distance from the center of your axles to the center of the back rack (Xw). The pin weight should then be reduced by 300*Xw/Xp pounds.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
    HI, II got the washer dryer and that increased the pin weight and want to know if I put equal weight at the rear would it balance it out. (not actual weight but our stuff in the back under the couch and in the upper cabinets.
    FWIW, I had the same concern when we added the Splendide to our new Solitude 310-GK. I decided to add a cargo carrier to the back hitch with an aluminum cargo box. I plan on keeping about 150 lbs of my heavy stuff in there during transit (the carrier and box come in at about 50 lbs.). The hitch receiver is rated for 300 lbs, so I feel comfortable with that. It won't completely offset the washer/dryer, but considering that the stuff stored in the box would have been in front of the axles, it's a pretty good counterweight.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast