Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing Expedition TV

My current setup is a '16 Ford Expedition EL with max tow package towing a GD2800BH with WDH. She does pretty well, but I am toeing the limit on payload and am beginning to research a new TV. The 3.5l Ecoboost tows like a dream but my suspension is obviously at its limit as driving down the road I experience a decent amount of unsettled movement up and down especially when traveling over rougher road surfaces. My thoughts are to move to an F150 which properly specced will have a significantly higher payload rating. That being said, I wonder if a move from the Expedition to the F150 will really make that big of a difference and if the benefits would outweigh the cost to go ahead and step it up to an F250. Has anyone here experienced going from a full size SUV to a 1/2 ton? Was the difference that noticeable? I also wonder if suspension upgrades on the RV would help settle out the porpoising effect.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH

2016 Ford Expedition EL

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without knowing the weights loaded and unloaded it is hard to tell
    Porpoising can be caused by a light steer axle

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The expedition is pretty much a F150 but all closed up. You get a little better tow and payload numbers but IMHO it probably won't be that much to make a whole lot of difference. Look at your door spec sticker and compare it to a same model of an f150. Limited with Limited, xlt with xlt. With these numbers you can punch them in online towing calculators along with you tt numbers and make a decision from there. Whether it's to stay with your current expi or go to a f150 or f250 or even a f350. F250 and f350 are pretty much the same price.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go with the F150 Super Crew 6'5" bed then you'll gain 26" for WB. You also get 4800 lbs more for tow rating. You also go from an independent rear suspension to a more ridgid leaf spring.
    Would all that be enough? IMO no. I think that TT is in 3/4 ton territory. Reason being is it will weigh in around 7500 lbs loaded. And at 32' long thats a good load for a light tow vehicle. When Ford switched to all aluminum bodies they reduced the mass weight thats needed to control a longer heavier TT.
    Ford doesn't say what the 9,000 lb trailer should be when they give out their tow ratings. More than likely it's a 25' flat bed with weight on it perfectly balanced.
    The other problem is the OEM TW on the 2800BH is under 10%. Not buy much but still under. That puts you in a deficit right off the get go. To get the desired TW of 12.5% you need add 340 lbs to the front of the TT.
    I've had some degree of porpusing with every TT I've owned. Some worse than others. Americas roads are terrible so there's always going to be places where towing is worse than others.
    I've BTDT with a situation sorta like yours. I had a 31' TT @7200 lbs with a 900-950 lb TW. Towed with a 145" WD F150 with Max Tow and a CCC of 1857 lbs. I had all sorts of issues. I tried several WDH's, added LT tires, Super Springs and none of it cured the porpusing. I then upgraded to a 2500 diesel and most of the porposing went away and the minimal wiggle when towing that also moved the F150 around went away as well.
    If you only tow short distances in mostly ideal conditions then IMO a 157" WB F150 would be an upgrade. If you want to load up the TV with anything and hit the road for a long day of towing then IMO a 3/4 ton would be better.
    Last edited by goducks14; 05-22-2021 at 10:52 AM.