User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair Price for a PDI?

What would you say is a far price for the PDI for an Imagine XLS trailer? How much did you pay? Do state laws come into play with the price of the PDI?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katpaige View Post
    What would you say is a far price for the PDI for an Imagine XLS trailer? How much did you pay? Do state laws come into play with the price of the PDI?
    A lot depends on what you mean "PDI" and by whom. I think the dealer should include a Pre-delivery inspection and a basic walk through for no charge as part of the sale. I have read on this forum that some dealers try to charge for a PDI. This depends on what is written into the sales agreement. The "quality" of a PDI varies greatly. A 3rd party (who is doing the PDI as a business) will charge for their time and expertise. The price varies, as does the thoroughness of the inspection. Some people on the forum have used a 3rd party inspector for their PDI. You can use the search function (upper right corner of every page) to search for the discussions and the price.

PDI and there cost (if any) are business agreement (service) and are not regulated that I know of.

One (strong) suggestion, do not sign ANY paperwork with the dealer until you have completed the PDI and all agreed "fixes" are either completed or documented in writing and signed bye the dealer. Once you sign and accept the trailer, your leverage to get the dealer to fix anything goes way down. It should not happen, but many (myself included) have had very poor "after sales service" once the paperwork is signed.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 05-11-2021 at 11:09 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zero is a fair price

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In MN, most dealers if not all, include a PDI in their dealer margin. The cost of the PDI is already baked into the price you pay for the rig. Of course, most buyers will do their own PDI as part of their delivery acceptance. On the other hand, I paid $300 for a 3 hour pre purchase inspection on a used rig from a private seller. (Arizona) Best of luck. Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it’s just me, but if the seller of a product wants to charge me for the privilege of making sure what they are selling meets my standard as the buyer, I’m taking my business elsewhere. I suppose some are willing to pay these kinds fees; I am not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with the zero charge, which is what we paid for ours. Never understood how they can justify charging people $ to make sure everything works!
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on how knowledgeable a buyer is, hiring a third party expert that works for, and answers to the buyer to do an inspection can add value. I didn't do that, but I can see how it could be worth hiring that expertise. Not sure the going rate for such a service. Very different than paying for a dealer to do a PDI.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair Price for a PDI?

Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    Depending on how knowledgeable a buyer is, hiring a third party expert that works for, and answers to the buyer to do an inspection can add value. I didn't do that, but I can see how it could be worth hiring that expertise. Not sure the going rate for such a service. Very different than paying for a dealer to do a PDI.
    Keebler, you put your finger on it. I fully agree that from the dealer/seller perspective, cost to the buyer should be zero. It should just be a part of quality control, customer awareness, and agreement on the final product. If a buyer chooses to hire an “expert” to conduct the PDI, that cast is not regulated and strictly between the buyer and the “expert”

I also full agree with a Hitsman3 Absolutely do not sign any paperwork until you have completed a successful PDI. If there are issues you are willing to deal with later, ensure in your contract you get a “Due Bill” Make sure the language on the Due Bill is deliberate, specific and not subject to interpretation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PDI serves two purposes. #1 It allows the dealer to provide you with an opportunity to inspect the unit. #2 , it ensures the dealer provides you a function check of all parts of the RV and to correct any issues which may be discovered prior to deliver.

There should be no cost to the customer for a PDI.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealer should have paid us a fee for attending one very poor PDI. We knew way more the the person doing the PDI.

I asked him about the inverter switch for the residential frig. It wasn't lighting up when the button was pushed. YEP The inverter was bad right from the get, go. I tested it after getting the Solitude home and had GD send me one.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast