User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember what it was for my 2013 F250, but i bought is ahead of our camping season, so the break in mileage and the oil change was done in plenty of time.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrowe View Post
    The manual for my '21 f250 says not to tow until 1000 miles on odometer
    Likewise my 2019 f250 manual says put 1,000 miles on before towing.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visit the Ford forums as well as this one. Many similar questions about “Do I really need to wait 1000 miles before I tow?”, and so forth.

So many responses like “I didn’t and it didn’t hurt anything”, etc.

As geotex1 stated above, it’s cheap insurance. You also may want to keep in mind that, at least with my F350, the computer knows when I am towing. It would probably have recorded if I had towed before the 1000 mile break-in period. I wouldn’t want to chance a warranty claim being denied on a $75,000 rig because I couldn’t wait and put the 1000 miles on it.

I’ll get off my soap box now...
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many here have stated it well,...
    Machinery still requires some break-in and initial care.

I did almost 2000 mi before towing anything. My situation was such that I had about 4 months between new truck and new trailer. So the truck was my daily driver and exceeding 1000 mi was easy.
    If needed, I would have towed with it at 1000 mi.

There are so many factors in a true break-in process that it is just an average guess as to what is needed.
    These are vehicle recommendations from the manufacturer. It's your truck and your option.

Your going to have a nice truck, enjoy it.
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will get answers all over the place, I needed a new truck to pull our new 5th wheel.

The truck dealer and the RV dealer are across the street from each other, I picked up the truck in the morning and the 5th wheel that afternoon and we headed out on our maiden voyage.

We had some errands to do between deliveries, so maybe I drove 200km.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t have time to get 1000 miles on my truck, but I did get 600 before a 3 week road trip.
    Just curious... when you buy a Freightliner, don’t they work them from day one?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippamills View Post
    I was told today by an owner of a 2018 F250 Diesel that when he bought it new he was told he should put 1,500 miles on it BEFORE towing anything. Is this generally accepted wisdom? No point asking my salesman as he is generally clueless. I’m waiting on delivery of a 2022 F350 and anxious to get going as soon as it arrives.
    Thanks,Pippa
    Correct. Same with our 2021 F350 7.3 gas, 1,000 miles before tow. Be sure to use the trans tow mode, button on end of shift lever. The term "break-in" is rarely heard these days, but it's still important. If you recall, the instruction for proper break-in were "vary speeds, no hard stops or starts, and no towing" for whatever mileage the mfg specified (1,000 was generally used), whether new, rebuilt, or remanufactured. Brake shoes and pads had a break-in method also. I used to also change the oil before the first tow, with synthetics that's no longer a big deal.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can drive it some first thats great but no harm is going to happen if you hook it up and haul. Many many Hot shot’ers have done just that.
    Google up the GM Duramax engine plant video, you'll see they run them to full rated power right in the plant. Ill bet Dodge & Ford do also. With modern machine tools and methods break-in is largely a thing of the past and has probably occurred before you get it home.
    I cant tell you how many truck engines Ive overhauled with the loaded trailer sitting right behind it outside the door. Hook it up, test drive it loaded and send it off.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is important that you follow this for warranty. Let the rings break in and evaluate the electronics of the vehicle to ensure no problems.
    This gives the go ahead to tow as the vehicle is said to be stable otherwise a person starts to squabble over costs of failure. Boats etc are similar.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone who kindly responded with excellent advice and experience. What a great group of people! I can’t wait to start accumulating some experience of my own. Unfortunately it looks like I will have to do just that. Wait - and wait. My 2022 F350 is probably not going to arrive until maybe December which means the 310GK will be sitting in the dealer’s lot until then. Very frustrating but nothing to do about it except acquire patience and try not to go crazy. Ommmmmmmm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast