User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Nicest Campground I/We Ever Stayed at was...

Roan Mountain State Park Campground in Northeast TN - Our absolute favorite even though it's not full hook-ups (water/electric only). An older campground, it has sites that are nicely spaced amongst a beautiful forest - the campground even has a mountain stream that runs through it with s few sites right on it...makes for great sleeping! Bath houses are a bit rustic, but decent and rather well maintained. Little to no cell signal; a plus for some and the free wifi is not the most reliable. Neither of these "negatives" mean that much to us as we really enjoy the peacefulness of the forest. All the sites are paved as are the roads; several sites accommodate the largest of RVs and their tent-only loop is absolutely beautiful! The bottom loop of the campground is essentially flat as a pancake making it pretty easy to negotiate with the larger rigs. The upper loop is on a mountainside with a few sites that can accept up to 35-foot campers, though parking them is a bit more challenging.

If you're ever going to be in the area, check out this campground, but like any nice one, reservations are really hard to get nowadays.

So, what's yours?
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    Roan Mountain State Park Campground in Northeast TN - Our absolute favorite even though it's not full hook-ups (water/electric only). An older campground, it has sites that are nicely spaced amongst a beautiful forest - the campground even has a mountain stream that runs through it with s few sites right on it...makes for great sleeping! Bath houses are a bit rustic, but decent and rather well maintained. Little to no cell signal; a plus for some and the free wifi is not the most reliable. Neither of these "negatives" mean that much to us as we really enjoy the peacefulness of the forest. All the sites are paved as are the roads; several sites accommodate the largest of RVs and their tent-only loop is absolutely beautiful! The bottom loop of the campground is essentially flat as a pancake making it pretty easy to negotiate with the larger rigs. The upper loop is on a mountainside with a few sites that can accept up to 35-foot campers, though parking them is a bit more challenging.

If you're ever going to be in the area, check out this campground, but like any nice one, reservations are really hard to get nowadays.

So, what's yours?
    You let a well kept secret out of the bag! Not really as reservations, even before covid were tough. I'm at Roan mountain now, and you can see the WIFI is working. They upgraded it last summer/fall and switched it on when I was here last. This certainly in my top three. Rock Creek Recreation Area near Erwin, Tn is a national park campground that stays under the radar too. Later this summer I'll be going to Fisherman's Memorial State Park in Narragansett, RI.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-12-2021 at 08:46 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really sure a "Nicest" campground exists as each campground has it's own features depending on what you're looking for on a particular outing. We stayed at a KOA in Richfield UT that was very clean, nice grassy area within the site, and easy access to the countless miles of ATV trails we were wanting to explore. That made it the nicest campground for that trip. When we took my grandson to Seaworld San Diego, we stayed at Fiddlers Cove RV and Marina on the Naval base on Coronado Island. Again, very clean and picturesque, close to all the attractions, and huge sites. If we're looking for more solitude and a mountanous setting, Duck Creek RV near Duck Creek UT would be our top choice. They even have a couple of premium sites that are 1/2 acre in size. For us, what makes a campground "Nice" or not is is it clean and orderly (not the stereotypical redneck trailer park) and does it have the features, location, and personality to make that particular outing enjoyable? If so we're good. Personally I hate the "what's the best..." type questions because it more depends on what your looking for and what your expectations are. JMHO.

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 05-12-2021 at 10:08 AM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's that go... loose lips sink ships? Snitches get stitches? Lol!!! j/k

We have a broad variety of what we consider nice, and it's also varied by our style of camping at the time plus the reason for the destination... Roan Mtn has been a regular visit for 5 decades. Guess where the Fraser Fir was discovered and named? Amazing hikes, beautiful country, on The Trail, Shelving Rock, rich history... Great piece of the country to experience.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pine Village KOA for us in Leavenworth! Only been there once last September but it's going to be an annual destination for us a least once a year if not more.
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best campground I have stayed at was lakeside at 10,400' in the Colorado Rockies. Price of admission was a 5 hour hike in with 3700' of elevation gain. As for the RV' we love the COE parks near water regardless of amenities or boondocking in primitive campsites.

Everyone has their favorite type of campground but we love waking up to elk bugling and the natural outdoors.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    Best campground I have stayed at was lakeside at 10,400' in the Colorado Rockies. Price of admission was a 5 hour hike in with 3700' of elevation gain. As for the RV' we love the COE parks near water regardless of amenities or boondocking in primitive campsites.

Everyone has their favorite type of campground but we love waking up to elk bugling and the natural outdoors.
    I started backpacking in the late 60's here in western Oregon Cascades. It's not as high as the Rockies, but just as beautiful. In my adult life, I went up there a lot too and many days I never saw one person. Sometimes I even hiked off trail to some little lake on the map. Once a Golden Eagle ( which you don't see too many in Oregon ) startled me as I was walking up to the edge of a little lake. He had been on the tree above me maybe 30ft.
    The perfect campsite is the ones that make you comfortable. Enjoy. KEN

This was a very nice FREE campsite in ID, on US 12 in July 2015 on a trip to Glacier NP from Oregon.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being relatively new to the RV life, our first trip to Yellowstone and Black Hills area, we would say two campgrounds were the best, like others have said, for different reasons. Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone for amenities and convenience. It was literally walking distance to West Yellowstone and the park entrance. In Hill City, SD, it is Rafter J Bar Ranch, it was relatively close to everything we wanted to see and do there but we gave it 'the best' rating because of the way the park is laid out, sites are spread out and decently sized so that you're not on top of your neighbor.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been by Roan Mountain State Park, but never had time to go through it. The park is famous for the world's biggest stand of roddendrums up on the mountain. My sister has a home just east of there in Banner-Elk, NC.

Many believe that AnchorDownRVResort.com is the most beautiful new generation RV park they've ever seen. It's just west of Dandridge, Tennessee (close to Gatlinburg) on the incredibly beautiful Douglas Lake. The Great Smokey Mountain National Park is within eyeshot behind the lake.

Our fifth wheel stays in Unicoi Springs Camp Resort, a member owned campground outside of Helen, Georgia. The Appalachian Trail is on the mountain across the street. And our two pools and huge common house are second to just about none.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this topic. Guess it depends on definition of nicest. Cleanest/most friendly staff, Disney's Fort Wilderness for sure. Also has a ton of activities if you want to stay at the campground.

One of our favorites when we lived on the East coast was River Valley in Cherokee, NC, its right on the river where you can float down it, very peaceful and as an added bonus has no cell phone reception.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast