User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice for the 2800 Imagine- a redo on the RV hunt

I was on this forum several years ago, bought an F350 6.7, paralysis by analysis, life happens, yada yada, decide life’s already too busy, trade the F350 for an F150, then comes Covid, life seems to sloooow to a crawl for months and months and months and now wife is interested in RV life again.( desire for safe travels as well as boredom will do that to you.) So I’m thinking, great my F150 should do a 23-24 ft tt nicely, but no, wife wants grandkids along ( well so do I[emoji3590]) But she wants the Imagine 2800 and now we moved out of F150 to the SD category. ( where we were 18 months ago) So here we go again. I feel like I’m starting from scratch, I got a ton of questions.
    We drove to a dealer who had a 2021 2800 today.
    So here we go:
    1. Salesman says at prep time they only give one battery( doesn’t seem like enough especially in Florida) this with $995 dealer prep!!!!
    2. Tires— jeez louise, the China bombs are still around? Have they improved them in the last 2 years— or do I need to change to the GY endurance?
    3. So this is an 8k trailer, what WDH hitch and size do I get?
    4. I’m reading people are still changing the drum brakes for discs and upgrading the suspension. Ultimately for safety sakes, is this a must ?? ( GK’s could be in my backseat)
    5. I plan on a TPMS system— have this written down somewhere two years ago. Is there a reasonably priced quality system?
    6. 50 amp Surge protector. Is it better to hard wire that in( not me but dealer?) Still Progressive? Where on the 2800 should that be installed? That’s enough for starters— thanks for any of your experiences.

Well below you will see why I have lots of time to mull this over.
    So it appears I will need to order a new Superduty in order to get what I really want? ( not easy to find quality used trucks now) Ford’s had their problems recently with parts and chips so they may not start on the 2022’s until end of June. Maybe get the truck by end of September at the earliest. I might as well order a 2022 Imagine since I have to wait on the truck. One day we WILL get in the game.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    I was on this forum several years ago, bought an F350 6.7, paralysis by analysis, life happens, yada yada, decide life’s already too busy, trade the F350 for an F150, then comes Covid, life seems to sloooow to a crawl for months and months and months and now wife is interested in RV life again.( desire for safe travels as well as boredom will do that to you.) So I’m thinking, great my F150 should do a 23-24 ft tt nicely, but no, wife wants grandkids along ( well so do I[emoji3590]) But she wants the Imagine 2800 and now we moved out of F150 to the SD category. ( where we were 18 months ago) So here we go again. I feel like I’m starting from scratch, I got a ton of questions.
    We drove to a dealer who had a 2021 2800 today.
    So here we go:
    1. Salesman says at prep time they only give one battery( doesn’t seem like enough especially in Florida) this with $995 dealer prep!!!!
    2. Tires— jeez louise, the China bombs are still around? Have they improved them in the last 2 years— or do I need to change to the GY endurance?
    3. So this is an 8k trailer, what WDH hitch and size do I get?
    4. I’m reading people are still changing the drum brakes for discs and upgrading the suspension. Ultimately for safety sakes, is this a must ?? ( GK’s could be in my backseat)
    5. I plan on a TPMS system— have this written down somewhere two years ago. Is there a reasonably priced quality system?
    6. 50 amp Surge protector. Is it better to hard wire that in( not me but dealer?) Still Progressive? Where on the 2800 should that be installed? That’s enough for starters— thanks for any of your experiences.

Well below you will see why I have lots of time to mull this over.
    So it appears I will need to order a new Superduty in order to get what I really want? ( not easy to find quality used trucks now) Ford’s had their problems recently with parts and chips so they may not start on the 2022’s until end of June. Maybe get the truck by end of September at the earliest. I might as well order a 2022 Imagine since I have to wait on the truck. One day we WILL get in the game.
    Welcome back!

So, in reality, unless you plan on boondocking, 1 battery is plenty. It really on has to do anything when you are either unplugged from shore power or unplugged from your tow vehicle. Your location has nothing to do with it....a/c doesn't run off the battery.

Yep, Westlake are still around.

We've been using 1000lb or 1200lb WDH systems. We've seen some tongue weights approach 1000#. Blue Ox, Equalizer, Reese Strailine...

Haven't seen many changing to disc brakes on an Imagine.

TST or equivalent tire monitor system.

You can hard mount one, I use the portable.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One battery is standard. If you want more or want to go with dual 6V batteries that's negotiable.
    I had 4 years on my Westlakes and just replaced them on time, not condition.
    What WDH is always debatable. Propride and Hensley are favorites for maximum control.
    IMHO, disc brakes are for the heavier trailers. Not many companies make them for the 4400# axles.
    I'm running a TST 507 TPMS. Not the cheapest but it works well, I didn't even need the repeater.
    I don't have a surge protector, but if I get one I'll hard wire it in.

Lots of people are running 2800's and half ton trucks (not that I approve.)
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Welcome back!

So, in reality, unless you plan on boondocking, 1 battery is plenty. It really on has to do anything when you are either unplugged from shore power or unplugged from your tow vehicle. Your location has nothing to do with it....a/c doesn't run off the battery.

Yep, Westlake are still around.

We've been using 1000lb or 1200lb WDH systems. We've seen some tongue weights approach 1000#. Blue Ox, Equalizer, Reese Strailine...

Haven't seen many changing to disc brakes on an Imagine.

TST or equivalent tire monitor system.

You can hard mount one, I use the portable.
    Thanks. The GD dealer we visited yesterday is 30 minutes away— closest after that is 2 hours. I though $995 was high for dealer prep, but I’ve been away from this for a while. I have zero “fix it “ skills plus I recently have come down with a crippling arthritis in both hands. (Just started on steroids and hope it works)So was thinking it better if the price is close to being right to buy closer to home at least for the first year while getting kinks out and everything ship shape while warranty is in play and then find an independent RV tech that I can trust. I will need help setting up the WDH before I leave the dealer. They won’t allow me to bring a blue ox since they don’t sell it. (Will still negotiate that point if it’s very
    Important) Equalizer and Recurve appear my options. So with an 8000 lb trailer do I do 1000 or 1200? Unlike some things, more I’m told is not always better with WDH’s but I’m not sure how much more is good?
    And regarding the TPMS, I saw a sticker on the 2800 yesterday mentioning a TPMS system that was tied in with the Westlakes?
    Is that something to consider or get a generic system that works for all tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FLTom52; 05-13-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    One battery is standard. If you want more or want to go with dual 6V batteries that's negotiable.
    I had 4 years on my Westlakes and just replaced them on time, not condition.
    What WDH is always debatable. Propride and Hensley are favorites for maximum control.
    IMHO, disc brakes are for the heavier trailers. Not many companies make them for the 4400# axles.
    I'm running a TST 507 TPMS. Not the cheapest but it works well, I didn't even need the repeater.
    I don't have a surge protector, but if I get one I'll hard wire it in.

Lots of people are running 2800's and half ton trucks (not that I approve.)
    Thanks for your experience. Like I said, 18 months ago I had the F350. But we made a mistake evidently trading it in on the F150. But I really like my F150. It would be fine with a 24ft trailer and 5500 lbs. Even someone with lots of towing experience would probably be fine with my truck with the 2800. But I have no experience towing and didn’t think the F150’s shortcomings would be a good match with my inexperience. It will still be a challenge already for me to cope with 32 ft instead of 24. Not many places to practice either. I feel like a GI and told, “here’s your gun, you don’t need boot camp, welcome to the war.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk KO
    Last edited by FLTom52; 05-13-2021 at 07:48 AM.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. The GD dealer we visited yesterday is 30 minutes away— closest after that is 2 hours. I though $995 was high for dealer prep, but I’ve been away from this for a while. I have zero “fix it “ skills plus I recently have come down with a crippling arthritis in both hands. (Just started on steroids and hope it works)So was thinking it better if the price is close to being right to buy closer to home at least for the first year while getting kinks out and everything ship shape while warranty is in play and then find an independent RV tech that I can trust. I will need help setting up the WDH before I leave the dealer. They won’t allow me to bring a blue ox since they don’t sell it. (Will still negotiate that point if it’s very
    Important) Equalizer and Recurve appear my options. So with an 8000 lb trailer do I do 1000 or 1200? Unlike some things, more I’m told is not always better with WDH’s but I’m not sure how much more is good?
    And regarding the TPMS, I saw a sticker on the 2800 yesterday mentioning a TPMS system that was tied in with the Westlakes?
    Is that something to consider or get a generic system that works for all tires?

The reason I said 1000# to 1200# bars is that it depends on what you pick, they go either way. You should select bars that will cover the loaded tongue weight.

The Lippert Tire Linc that is advertised on the Imagines is just the repeater box base that is wired into the pass through. Starting from scratch, I would look at TST or a different brand. I have the Tire Linc system since it was included with my Reflection, but I've used TST in the past.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I said 1000# to 1200# bars is that it depends on what you pick, they go either way. You should select bars that will cover the loaded tongue weight.

The Lippert Tire Linc that is advertised on the Imagines is just the repeater box base that is wired into the pass through. Starting from scratch, I would look at TST or a different brand. I have the Tire Linc system since it was included with my Reflection, but I've used TST in the past.

I really appreciate this.
    If I go 15% on tongue weight, then 1200 would be the best choice.
    It’s good to hear your comments on the TPMS as well, because I wasn’t sure, but it seemed having a generic TPMS would be better for any tire we would use, not just the Westlakes.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe with some F150s you would be fine, some I wouldn't touch it with. I think I will be fine with mine, 2017 3.5 Eco boost crew cab 6.5 bed and max tow, 1800lbs payload. My prior TT was 4' longer and 2000lbs heavier and it was ok most of the time.

How is your F150 equipped?
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this might not be very helpful, but it sounds like Groundhog Day! Good luck with your "new" venture.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Well, this might not be very helpful, but it sounds like Groundhog Day! Good luck with your "new" venture.
    Groundhogs’day is an excellent analogy.[emoji1787]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast