User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What product is recommended for slide out rubber seal conditioner/ protectant?

I am fairly new to rv life having purchased a new 2020 Imagine 2500RL a little over a year ago. I want to keep up with all maintenance so this unit will stay in good condition for a long time. I'm having trouble deciding which product I should use for conditioning and protecting the slide out seals.
    It seems there are as many different opinions on this as there are products on the market. I called Grand Designs and they wouldn't, or couldn't, give me a recommendation. I know I don't want to use anything with petroleum distillates as that will tend to age the rubber. It seems most products have those distillates in them.
    I would really appreciate some input and advice on what has worked for others.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ORMike View Post
    I am fairly new to rv life having purchased a new 2020 Imagine 2500RL a little over a year ago. I want to keep up with all maintenance so this unit will stay in good condition for a long time. I'm having trouble deciding which product I should use for conditioning and protecting the slide out seals.
    It seems there are as many different opinions on this as there are products on the market. I called Grand Designs and they wouldn't, or couldn't, give me a recommendation. I know I don't want to use anything with petroleum distillates as that will tend to age the rubber. It seems most products have those distillates in them.
    I would really appreciate some input and advice on what has worked for others.
    I use the 3-in-1 RV care product line for my lubricants. They have a Rubber Seal Conditioner, Slide Out Silicone, Window & Track Dry Lube. I have been satisfied with these products. You can sometimes get these in a combo pack.

There are others - Camco Makes one , Thetford has one. Then there are the 303 Products that have UV protectants and seal conditioners among many other products. All these are sold on Amazon. A quick search will provide you some results.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your response!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used this combination for years in all my RVs

Griots Garage rubber and vinyl dressing on the rubber seals.
    A good coat of polymer wax on the slide siding is mandatory imho. Don't skip on the slide walls when you wax!
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been very happy using a combination of 3 in1 RV and CRC products. Dry lubes, window and track, and rubber conditioners.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like many things, what to use or not use has changed with GDRV over the years. Recent years feedback from GDRV tech folks is nothing is needed to treat the swipe seals. They have shared that the seals are designed and built to be "pre-lubricated" for the duration.

Early on when we bought, along with the various liquid sprays folks use, many of us used (and still do) baby powder. There was no mention of "pre-lubricated" seals back in the day.

Curious, for those who may read this thread with current generation GDRVs of the last couple or so years, what does your Owners Manual state about swipe seal lubrication.....if anything ? Ours back in the day did not cover this.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    I've used this combination for years in all my RVs

Griots Garage rubber and vinyl dressing on the rubber seals.
    A good coat of polymer wax on the slide siding is mandatory imho. Don't skip on the slide walls when you wax!
    That sounds like a good idea waxing the slide sides to help eliminate friction against the seals. I had read about that somewhere else but forgot about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Like many things, what to use or not use has changed with GDRV over the years. Recent years feedback from GDRV tech folks is nothing is needed to treat the swipe seals. They have shared that the seals are designed and built to be "pre-lubricated" for the duration.

Early on when we bought, along with the various liquid sprays folks use, many of us used (and still do) baby powder. There was no mention of "pre-lubricated" seals back in the day.

Curious, for those who may read this thread with current generation GDRVs of the last couple or so years, what does your Owners Manual state about swipe seal lubrication.....if anything ? Ours back in the day did not cover this.

Dan
    That's part of the reason I started the thread: there is no information in my manual about what to use and my TT is almost new - 2020. I called GD and never got a definite answer on what they suggested I should use. They kind of beat around the bush and then told me to call the dealer.