User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One awning isn’t working

Hello, we recently bought a new 303RLS and everything worked at the dealership and again when I got it home. We just got to the campground for our first trip, and one awning will not work which is awning 1. Awning 2 works just fine. And in the fuse panel there is only one fuse for both awnings looks like. I did try swapping the switches on the panel and running it from command down in storage compartment. I don’t hear the motor trying to run. Has anyone seen this issue before?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to discourage, but awning problems are common. Do you have a multimeter and familiar with its use? If so, pop of the motor housing and see if you're getting juice there when the switch is actuated.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not with me at the camp ground. I will try that when I get back home

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Subsea_navigator View Post
    Not with me at the camp ground. I will try that when I get back home
    Roger that! A cheapie, basic DMM to reside in the camper will serve you well through years to come! Report back what you find and we'll certainly help with your diagnosing!

Enjoy the trip!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My awning 1 over the steps did not work when I got home with my 2021 303RLS. I did a couple things to troubleshoot the problem.
    I removed the small rubber plug on the awning motor cover and used a 7/16 socket and drill to manually move the awning out a couple feet.
    I then removed the plastic cover over the motor and unplugged and plugged-in the wire leading to the awning motor. The plug was around 6 inches from the motor within the awning rail.
    I then tried the control panel button again and the awning worked. I'm not sure which of these fixed the problem. Probably unplugging and plugging-in the motor wire. The awning is still working.
    Last edited by mikewb; 05-13-2021 at 03:55 PM.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2021 Ford F350 Lariat CCSB 7.3L 4.30 Axle, B&W Companion Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewb View Post
    My awning 1 over the steps did not work when I got home with my 2021 303RLS. I did a couple things to troubleshoot the problem.
    I removed the small rubber plug on the awning motor cover and used a 7/16 socket and drill to manually move the awning out a couple feet.
    I then removed the plastic cover over the motor and unplugged and plugged-in the wire leading to the awning motor. The plug was around 6 inches from the motor within the awning rail.
    I then tried the control panel button again and the awning worked. I'm not sure which of these fixed the problem. Probably unplugging and plugging-in the motor wire. The awning is still working.
    I had an almost identical experience last September with my new 2021 303RLS. Still working. Reminds me that I need to pack a compact ladder, as my fear is the awning will fail again, but in the extended position. I’ll use the socket on the drill to stow it manually, to get home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar problem with the dinette awning on our trailer. Sometimes when the switch is activated I get no response from the awning motor. I found by trial and error that I can rock the switch, by that I mean press retract and extend rapidly, the awning will respond. This practice has worked for about 18 months now but I know one day I will get caught with the awning in the extended position.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if wired the same way these days but one of my awnings quit working a long time ago. I was able to trace the problem to a bad wire in a wire nut in the wall where the wire went through to the awning leg. It was behind a blank plate.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the motor but we had some trouble with the lights in the roller end, the wires got pinched and broken at the awning frame where the wires come out of the side wall. Blew the fuse behind the convenience center panel. Same thing could happen to the wires for the awning motor.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved. Appears that it was just a lose connection at the pigtail of the motor.