Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Dead? 265BH Solar Question

6 month old 265BH left in storage last two month with all appliances off, including 12v refrigerator.

Battery was not disconnected, but was setup to be trickle charged by the 170w solar panel pre-installed by GD.

Arrived today and nothing turns on.
    Not even any indicator lights in the control panel.

Connected trailer to car 7pin...trailer traffic lights turn on, but nothing else. Even the power hitch is unresponsive.

Solar controller appears to be working.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210512_163301.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	34098

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marlowefamily View Post
    6 month old 265BH left in storage last two month with all appliances off, including 12v refrigerator.

Battery was not disconnected, but was setup to be trickle charged by the 170w solar panel pre-installed by GD.

Arrived today and nothing turns on.
    Not even any indicator lights in the control panel.

Connected trailer to car 7pin...trailer traffic lights turn on, but nothing else. Even the power hitch is unresponsive.

Solar controller appears to be working.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210512_163301.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	34098

Did you have your battery disconnect switch turned off. if so the solar was disconnected from the battery.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, disconnect key was not pulled. Instead, we verified all appliances and lights completely, including 12v fridge. Sure, there might be some phantom draw left but assumed to be much less than input from 170w panel in San Diego sunshine.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but are you running AGM batteries?

That's what your controller is set for....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, disconnect key was not pulled. Instead, we verified all appliances and lights completely, including 12v fridge. Sure, there might be some phantom draw left but assumed to be much less than input from 170w panel in San Diego sunshine.

Disconnect does not haft to be pulled to be off. It can be off an still in place. Several folks have found this out that they bumped it and it moved to the the off position and did not know it. You are correct your 170 watt panel should keep up. My 160 watt panel does here in Colorado. Check for a inline fuse between your solar controller and you battery connection. Somehow the power is not getting to the battery. If you have a multi-meter you can check the voltages at the controller too.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but are you running AGM batteries?

That's what your controller is set for....
    I think so...I haven't opened up the battery box, but the box looks like the tiny thin case you see on most new trailers and when I asked during PDI ..the tech said they always put the cheapest batteries they can. It's possible they actually using sealed but it'd surprise me. I ordered a battery repairer/maintenance device and will find out soon.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Disconnect does not haft to be pulled to be off. It can be off an still in place. Several folks have found this out that they bumped it and it moved to the the off position and did not know it. You are correct your 170 watt panel should keep up. My 160 watt panel does here in Colorado. Check for a inline fuse between your solar controller and you battery connection. Somehow the power is not getting to the battery. If you have a multi-meter you can check the voltages at the controller too.
    Thanks. I did check for that by disconnecting and putting back on. Yep, I'm looking where I put the multimeter.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think so...I haven't opened up the battery box, but the box looks like the tiny thin case you see on most new trailers and when I asked during PDI ..the tech said they always put the cheapest batteries they can. It's possible they actually using sealed but it'd surprise me. I ordered a battery repairer/maintenance device and will find out soon.

I am concerned about your description of your battery box. You describe it as "A tiny thin case", that does not sound like a proper battery was installed in your coach. At the bare minimum you should have one (preferably two) large (car engine sized) batteries to run the 12v system in your coach.

If you do have a "Tiny thin" battery, then this will only supply less than a tenth of what a normal (car engine sized) battery will supply.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they did put the cheapest battery in, it surely is NOT an AGM battery.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as a followup...the issue seemed to be more the defective solar controller crashing and stopping charging. But, when I powered in trailer for a day to shore power and reset controller- battery voltage did slowly return to normal. It was just so discharged that some percentage of usable life probably lost and for awhile it seemed completely dead. Another reason to have cellular connection to monitor trailer in storage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast