User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New RV Extended/Service Warranty - Thoughts?

Got an email today about a new month-to-month service warranty program. It includes roadside assistance which might add some value. Maybe a little spendy at $500+/yr if you select 12 mo of continuous coverage. I’ve never purchased an extended warranty on anything and typically do most of the work myself when out of manufacturer’s warranty.

Thoughts on this one? https://rvserviceshield.com
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would pass, especially if you are handy. I looked at the site, there is a 30 day waiting period before you can file a claim, and there is a $75 - 100 service fee for every claim. It's like any other warranty, most wont use it, some will, the companies are in business to make money, not pay it out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only you can answer the question. Don't even consider an extended warranty/service program until your GD warranty is about to expire. If you have had a lot of issues during warranty, then it may be beneficial. I did one on my Reflection with XtraRide. For me... I got my money out of it when I tore off a spring hanger, bent another and had to have all of them replaced/shored up. All of the programs come with strings tho and you must review the list of what is covered and most require pre-approval before any work is done. And yes, $500 per month sounds spendy.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take the $500/yr and put it in a coffee can labeled RV repair. You'll be money ahead over time.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extended warranty is 80% profit and marketing expenses... take the money and create a repair fund that is always yours and never expires.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always skip on extend warranty regardless what we buy.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    We always skip on extend warranty regardless what we buy.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Same here. I can perform most repairs unless it requires removing a slide or similar.

Which, by the way, when we sold our 312BHTS, during the pre-sale inspection, the LR slide guide roller gouged the bottom of the slide. $2000 to remove slide and repair/adjust. We easily had over 50 items repaired under warranty on that rig. GD even extended the warranty to cover for the 6+ months of lost use due to time in the shop for repairs. Seemed like we got everything corrected during the warranty period, but then the LR slide issue.

We will pass on any extended warranty. The only thing that made me think, hmmm, on this one was the included road side assistance. I didn’t see any details about it, but thought, we pay for Coach-Net (and have used it once in the amount of $900 for towing TV and trailer) already, so another $250 for added warranty may not be all that bad. Since RV Service Shield is a new company, we’ll see how things shake out over time.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Same here. I can perform most repairs unless it requires removing a slide or similar.

Which, by the way, when we sold our 312BHTS, during the pre-sale inspection, the LR slide guide roller gouged the bottom of the slide. $2000 to remove slide and repair/adjust. We easily had over 50 items repaired under warranty on that rig. GD even extended the warranty to cover for the 6+ months of lost use due to time in the shop for repairs. Seemed like we got everything corrected during the warranty period, but then the LR slide issue.

We will pass on any extended warranty. The only thing that made me think, hmmm, on this one was the included road side assistance. I didn’t see any details about it, but thought, we pay for Coach-Net (and have used it once in the amount of $900 for towing TV and trailer) already, so another $250 for added warranty may not be all that bad. Since RV Service Shield is a new company, we’ll see how things shake out over time.
    You might want to check with your auto/trailer insurance on roadside assistance. I have it for all my vehicles and trailer through my insurance, cost is next to nothing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have USAA. Our vehicles right now are covered by manufacturer’s roadside assistance. It’s pretty inexpensive through USAA, though. However, I’ve read multiple posts on this forum and elsewhere that USAA has dropped folks after a large roadside assistance claim. That’s why we went with Coach-Net.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife found a very good description of extended service plans a while back (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015