User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brand New 337RLS Damage

We were very excited to pick up our brand new 2021 337RLS from the dealer yesterday. We had already done all of the paper work and wrote out a check to pay for it. Upon doing our walk through yesterday, there was a deep scratch 3/4" wide and about 30" long on the side of the trailer about 10" from the top on the drivers side. It doesn't go through any decals, it is all on the white gel-coat. I had noticed this prior when we purchased the unit, but the salesman told me it was masking tape residue and that they would clean it off when they washed it prior to pick up. Because it was up high and dusty, it did look like some tape residue and I didn't think anything of it. Anyway, when we picked it up yesterday they pointed it out and said it would be repaired and that you will never know it was there when they are finished with the repair. I know scratches on new cars can be repaired and match perfect, but I'm not too sure about gel coat fiberglass repair. Can this be repaired like new, or is there always going to be a spot there? I'm not too excited about paying 59k for a trailer that needs repair. If it truly is repairable and the repair will be invisible, I'm okay with that, if the patch is noticeable, I'm not. Looking for feedback from someone that knows a thing or two about gel-coat repair.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering it's gelcoat and not paint, it will never be a completely imperceptible repair. What will be done is that the scratch will be filled and leveled then the area painted and an attempt to match the texture made. It is all about the artist talent of the person doing the repair as to whether or not it is very obvious or practically invisible. Some are incredible at repairs like this like the fellow who works at Grand Design in the Factory Service Center.

I definitely understand how you feel about it and the circumstance. I don't know if you have any concession in mind, but might want to think about it as sooner or later you'll have some others from the pesky branches you didn't see.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be fine. A good fiberglass guy can easily match gelcoat. Boat yards do it all the time on a lot more difficult surfaces than a new trailer. They will probably get GD to send them some from the brand and color they use.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mxdad777 View Post
    We were very excited to pick up our brand new 2021 337RLS from the dealer yesterday. We had already done all of the paper work and wrote out a check to pay for it. Upon doing our walk through yesterday, there was a deep scratch 3/4" wide and about 30" long on the side of the trailer about 10" from the top on the drivers side. It doesn't go through any decals, it is all on the white gel-coat. I had noticed this prior when we purchased the unit, but the salesman told me it was masking tape residue and that they would clean it off when they washed it prior to pick up. Because it was up high and dusty, it did look like some tape residue and I didn't think anything of it. Anyway, when we picked it up yesterday they pointed it out and said it would be repaired and that you will never know it was there when they are finished with the repair. I know scratches on new cars can be repaired and match perfect, but I'm not too sure about gel coat fiberglass repair. Can this be repaired like new, or is there always going to be a spot there? I'm not too excited about paying 59k for a trailer that needs repair. If it truly is repairable and the repair will be invisible, I'm okay with that, if the patch is noticeable, I'm not. Looking for feedback from someone that knows a thing or two about gel-coat repair.
    "mxdad777" a competent fiberglass man can make the repair without a problem especially since it is white gelcoat. I had to have our 2020 Solitude repaired which is "champagne" color after I tried to use it as a cleaver on our garage roof overhang. Mine was about the same height size as yours but included graphics and the window. I too was concerned about the gelcoat repair but it was truely flawless. I cannot tell where there was any damage so take heart, it just requires a competent fiberglass/gelcoat repairman. It also took about 3 weeks since it required the color matched aluminum corner trim to come from GD.
    Safe travels!!
    Last edited by zinman; 05-14-2021 at 11:19 PM. Reason: after thought
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I friend of mine actually put a rather big hole in his "other brand" 5th wheel. I had seen the hole, and asked how he managed to do it. I'm not going to explain that here, but it was a dumb mistake (one that I normally would make, not him). Anyway, after it was fixed I could not even see where the damage had been.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's damage. No way I'd pay 59k for it even after it was fixed.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gel coat should be repaired in a way that you'll never know the difference.

However it's still damaged, so it would be nice if they could discount the rig more. Given how quickly RVs are selling, the dealership could choose not to though.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to post a follow up. I dropped off our 337 on Monday and picked it up Friday. I am a very picky person and have done some body work and painting of cars in the past as a hobby. Well, even though I know where the deep scratch was, I absolutely can not see where any repair was done. I can’t see it, I can’t feel it and I even tried different lighting trying to get something to show up. They did an awesome job and in a very timely manner. Bravo to Happy Daze RV’s body shop in Sacramento!
    2019 GMC 2500HD Duramax
    2021 GD Reflection 337RLS