User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to get a CAT5 cable from the outside of the 337RLS to the inside 'easily'

I want to install a Wi-Fi extender/booster antenna to the ladder and run the associated cable to the inside of the RV to the router. Anyone found an easy place to "stick" a cable through to the inside?
    Ideally, it would be a temporary placement just to make it easy to set it up when necessary... mounting the antenna is a snap... some PVC and some tie-wraps... getting the cable to the inside is the issue

Thoughts/suggestions are very welcome!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a rear living room, you can easily bring cable up through the end table - hole already in the floor where wiring comes up. You just need to cut a small hole in the fabric where the outrigger part is.
    2021 - Grand Design Solitude S-2930RL
    2020 - Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 6.7L CCLB

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would go at it from the underbelly and also install a weathertight cover and port. Then when hanging on the ladder, a patch cable between the two.

Otherwise, for temporary use, just put it out through a slideout seal.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I DO have a rear living area with the fold down sofa bed with two cabinets, one on each side. If I understand correctly, there are AC wires that come up to those end tables from below... but I am not sure what you mean by "outrigger"....

Thanks tons for the hint... that will be very helpful and a great place to setup and use the router inside...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62E54A81-2D1F-4CCF-9598-E1D5C1D15C41.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	34128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA81A871-08D3-4E53-8CA4-D5CB737B28A2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	34129
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 62E54A81-2D1F-4CCF-9598-E1D5C1D15C41.jpg  
    2021 - Grand Design Solitude S-2930RL
    2020 - Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 6.7L CCLB

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This flat ethernet cable is well made, and hides easily (you can even paint it): https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Ethernet-...s%2C183&sr=8-3

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks... good suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I think I would go at it from the underbelly and also install a weathertight cover and port. Then when hanging on the ladder, a patch cable between the two.

Otherwise, for temporary use, just put it out through a slideout seal.
    Appreciate the response... sounds like a plan!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboychincs View Post
    I want to install a Wi-Fi extender/booster antenna to the ladder and run the associated cable to the inside of the RV to the router.
    Is this a router that you are supplying? If so, what we did might be useful. I had the Wi-Fi antenna on a painters pole which was held in a flag pole mount on the ladder. I then ran the cable from the antenna into the pass-thru where I had the router sitting next to the AC socket there. The cable simply went down the flag pole, over the ground, and up through one of the ports in the pass-thru.

Since this was a temporary installation (had to take it down when we traveled) this worked well for us. And having the router in the pass-thru avoided taking up any interior space.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBaum View Post
    This flat ethernet cable is well made, and hides easily (you can even paint it): https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Ethernet-...s%2C183&sr=8-3
    I like that idea... possibly making it less visible! Appreciate the response

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to take some photos and post my mod(s) for bringing in ethernet from the outside.... One could do the same with coax.

I had already modified the end tables on both side of our rear sofa so the tops hinge up (like a lot of the dresser tops in the bedroom) and installed a shelf so I could store things in there. I also installed an electric outlet inside each "table". So I just figured out where to drill through the back of the RV (just above the taillights in my case) and into the inside of one of the end tables. Then I modified a Fusion solar plug port to accept an ethernet plug and wha-laa - quick way to connect my WiFi Ubiquiti antenna to my Ubiquiti router which I keep inside the end table.

I got the idea about modifying the Fusion solar port from RVProject on YouTube.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast