User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Water Heater: Electric vs. Propane

Regarding the Hot Water Heater:
    ...first of all, I have electricity, so that's not the problem.

However, I'm wondering if anything different/better/worse occurs if I have Electric AND Gas tuned on at the same time..?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    Regarding the Hot Water Heater:
    ...first of all, I have electricity, so that's not the problem.

However, I'm wondering if anything different/better/worse occurs if I have Electric AND Gas tuned on at the same time..?
    The recovery time (the time it takes to hear the water to temperature) with gas is faster than with electric, and faster yet with both.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so heating up/recovery time is a difference, but not how hot the water is, or how long the water stays hot?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    OK so heating up/recovery time is a difference, but not how hot the water is, or how long the water stays hot?
    Correct. I believe the temperature is pre-set, and the water will last as long as there is water in the tank... That is to say, if you have a 6 gallon tank, you'll get 6 gallons of hot water, and probably two of warm water.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, on a fast recovery system, that depends on how fast you burn through the (typically) six gallons of hot water. With gas, or both, you will be able to take a longer shower because the hot water heater can replenish the water faster. I’ve never had an issue with a single shower, but when doing back to back showers have noticed a difference.

The electric pulls a lot of power. With the ac on, only time I’ve tripped the 30amp breaker is when we had the hwh on electric and then turned something else on (microwave, hair dryer).

Depends on your situation. It’s nice to have the option to turn on both if the whole family needs a shower, for example. Electric if you really don’t use it a lot. For us, it’s typically on gas, and it uses very little propane so that I don’t even begin to sweat it on our 1-2 week trips.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thanks -- I understand now!

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For us, we primarily use Propane for hot water. To keep Propane usage to a minimum we only turn the water heater on just before we need the hot water. For example: we turn the water heater on while we are preparing breakfast (or dinner) and turn it off after the dishes are done. Similarly, we turn the water heater on just before we take a shower and turn it off after our shower/showers (if we both take a shower we wait 15 minutes between showers so the hot water can recover).

We find that the hot water from the morning (or evening) dishes will last all day (or night) for washing our hands and such.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For many years we only had propane, once we got the Reflection which has both, it provides a wonderful flexibility. You can use one or the other based on where you are, or both for fast recovery time. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between trips this year we are parked in a seasonal and paying for electricity. So we use propane only for HW. When staying at an RV park on a trip and not paying for electricity separately we use the campgrounds electricity only and save the propane.

I read somewhere where the RV techs don't recommend running propane and electricity at the same time, but I don't recall the reason. If I come across it I'll post it. We don't find the recovery time to be an issue. We turn the HWH on when there's a need, showers and dishes for instance. Once heated and turned off there seems to be enough hot water for most chores for quite a while.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad... re-read the manual for my Dometic water heater and it clearly states that it is OK to run gas and electric mode together for quicker recovery. The other benefit if you are incline to leave the HW on all the time, is that if you run out of propane, the electric will keep things hot.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6