Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Locked out

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Has anyone looked into modifying the lock so that only the deadbolt will lock?

As a few have attested, this design makes it too easy for someone to get locked out by accident... IMO, it is a bad design. One should not have to resort to the hideakey solution.... Not all thieves are stupid. Some will go right to the hiding place..... No matter how clever one may think it is.
    Unlock the doors top lock, remove the key and TRIPLE verify that the door reopens after shutting it. Put a little bit of Super Glue Gel on the little tab of the keyhole slot and let it set up. You won't be able to reinsert the key to ever lock the top lock again.

We keep an extra key in a magnetic key box deep down in the pinbox of our 5th wheel. Or you could tape one to the bottom of the propane tank closest to the door and put the tank back in it's place... that's where we stored an extra key on our last travel trailer.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    Unlock the doors top lock, remove the key and TRIPLE verify that the door reopens after shutting it. Put a little bit of Super Glue Gel on the little tab of the keyhole slot and let it set up. You won't be able to reinsert the key to ever lock the top lock again.

We keep an extra key in a magnetic key box deep down in the pinbox of our 5th wheel. Or you could tape one to the bottom of the propane tank closest to the door and put the tank back in it's place... that's where we stored an extra key on our last travel trailer.
    This fix would mean that I couldn't lock the dead bolt with a a key as well, correct?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    This fix would mean that I couldn't lock the dead bolt with a a key as well, correct?
    No, that's not correct. The deadbolt and the other latch have different keyslots... All your doing is gluing the top keyhole shut. The opening and closing of the door will still work by the top locking mechanism you just won't be able to lock the top one anymore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210604_151514.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	34665
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 06-05-2021 at 04:30 AM.
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of gluing the top key slot here is a novice idea........Don't stick your key in the top lock. Only use the bottom dead bolt......
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    Instead of gluing the top key slot here is a novice idea........Don't stick your key in the top lock. Only use the bottom dead bolt......

NOVICE: one without experience and or knowledge

If you go back and read thru the posts in this thread, you will find some instances where the person that got locked out had nothing to do with locking that lock. My previous example for one. Not aware of how this lock worked, I wanting to keep my sleeping wife safe when I left early locked both locks. Later she needed to take the dog out to potty. It was a deer hunt in a remote location. It was VERY cold out. Thinking she would be back inside and warm in a couple of minutes, she went outside dressed only in shorts, T shirt and flip flops. She was NOT happy to find herself locked out. It could have been really bad, fortunantly it wasn't Now with my experience and knowledge, I no longer use that lock..... But that doesn't mean that the danger is gone. A guest etc. may, even after being told do the same thing.
    Since we no longer want that dangerous lock to be used, it makes sense to make it inoperable.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post

Well since Huntindog asked for a way to disable the lock that's what I gave him. The door will still work, especially the top latching handle but it just won't lock. Having only one lock, the dead-bolt, is a much smarter and safer option.
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this this summer. Went out for a dinner with the girls, came home around 11pm. Walked in with my keys and my purse, threw those on the counter and grabbed the dogs to take out potty. Closed the door, walked them, came back and my door was locked! Husband was on a motorcycle trip with the guys and I was SOL. My car keys were on the counter with my purse. Large campground, thankfully there were a few souls out. One guy finally figured out how to take off window in bedroom (standing on golf cart), crawled in and opened the door for me. I'm the most grateful woman alive for good neighbors.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LouElk View Post
    Does anyone have a solution for a better doorlock for RVs.
    We had the standard factory door lock on our 5er. It worked great until someone tried to break into it while be stored during the first year of COVID. Anyways, the dumb part of these "Creative Products Group Ttl-43610-2006-1Pk" door locks is that the handle locks can be easily busted with a crow bar like ours was. Luckily we always lock our dead bolt too, in which they tried to pry the door open, but couldn't? Buttheads!!

Anyways, we replaced ours with a much more secure lock made by the same company that fits the same hole and strike plate, and was not that much more expensive than the original. This is the one "Creative Products Group TTLM-45100-2006-1PK Ultra M Pro Manual Lock" we went with because the handle locks into the lock on both ends and supposedly cannot be broke open as easily as the original.

It works similar to the original, but has no separate deadbolt that goes thru the strike plate. The dead bolt is integrated into the plunger (deadlock plunger). Another thing we did when ordering it, we removed the "M" master lock and replaced it with a standard same key lock. That way when camping, did not have to worry about which to lock. Master keys maybe more accessible by those criminal types wanting into your RV.

This new door lock is a little thicker due to the handle and how it locks back into the lock. We use a magnetic door keeper on our door for days when we want fresh air in the RV from the front door, and this new lock made us extend the receiver portion (attached to the trailer) of the door keeper. Something to keep in mind if you go this route.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easier than one may think. On our first trip to a cg, my wife and I decided to go for a morning walk. We shut the door behind us, enjoyed our walk, and came back to a locked door, which neither of us locked with a key. After many attempts with a similar key, hairpins, cg maintenance thin tools; no success. Called for a local locksmith and left phone message. While waiting, our camper neighbor had an RV service person checking out a problem on his camper. I asked if he could help us, said he would, and in two seconds, he had a sliding window open and screen removed for me to help my wife crawl in. We were both amazed at how easy it was to slide open a 'closed' window but he did it with ease. Our door lock had malfunctioned and was replaced under warranty thru our RV Dealer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234